Check your account email address ×

Riddle me this divorcees.

racer254

18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

https://www.doj.state.or.us/child-support/services/support-for-students-under-21/

i know 2 guys that had to continue to pay by court order.  Kid stayed at moms house why going to school....  he had to continue to pay the ex

My daughter graduated high school late because of an illness. I paid until she was 19. Not a big deal. 

54 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’d have to break out some type of high end ROI tool to see if kids are “worth every penny”.  I’ve gone week to week for almost 20 on this question.

I guess we all have to make it seem that way and say it (and agree when others say it) to make us all look empathetic and caring but, we’ve got friends that chose not to have any and they’ve lived quite well, retired early and don’t miss having children a bit.

I’d manage just fine.  This was my wife’s idea!

47 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Outside looking in anyone I know that does not have kids by choice their lives look empty to me. 

x100

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

You didn’t have to pay child support while she went to college?

In Wisconsin the custodial parent pays until 19 if the kid is in high school. That can be different depending on the divorce decree and state. My daughter’s education was more expensive than child support. :lol: 

42 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

What’s wrong with selfishness?  There is really no such thing as a truly unselfish act.  Not enough selfishness makes us unhappy......and state silly things that are lies to make it seem otherwise.  

watching my kids grow and being part of their lives, becoming friends with their friends and parents, witnessing their successes and helping them through their losses, connecting with them on different levels as they mature...

Sorry, no replacement for that. Especially not anything material you may have accumulated with the money you saved not having kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

In Wisconsin the custodial parent pays until 19 if the kid is in high school. That can be different depending on the divorce decree and state. My daughter’s education was more expensive than child support. :lol: 

Yep education is expensive for sure if you chose to pay for it.

Just now, frenchy said:

watching my kids grow and being part of their lives, becoming friends with their friends and parents, witnessing their successes and helping them through their losses, connecting with them on different levels as they mature...

Sorry, no replacement for that. Especially not anything material you may have accumulated with the money you saved not having kids.

I’ve done and enjoyed the same.  

While I’ll never know, I believe I could have managed happiness and fullness in my life without children.

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

Provided your kids have kids, wait for the grandkids to show up. It takes the satisfaction you just described to an entirely new level. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

While I’ll never know, I believe I could have managed happiness and fullness in my life without children.

I have the 'luxury' of having 50% of my time for just me too.

I'd prefer if the kids were with me all the time, but I still see them whenever I want and am at all their sporting and school events, etc etc....I know lots of married dads who simply have no time for themselves and that would suck.

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Yep education is expensive for sure if you chose to pay for it.

The point here is, money is just a tool. Nothing more. Some guys form an emotional attachment to it. The other point is this... If your ex is a piece of then that usually means you’re a piece of shit too. Pieces of shit find each other. 

Edited by spin_dry

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well you clearly enjoy listening to yourself talk so I have zero doubt this is true......

:lol::salute:

• Haha 3

Is one child all one really needs or is their a cumulative fulfillment that comes from additional?  Is there a point of diminishing returns?  We absolutely love our dog and the wife has talked about getting a second one but I just know or at least think I know that there’s no way I would love a second one as much.  We have two cats already and I definitely have a clear favorite out of those two.  Those with multiple kids, would you say that you have a clear fave?  

27 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

You didn’t have to pay child support while she went to college?

thats all state dependent,  here in NH its until HS graduation/18 whichever comes later.  There is no reason IMO that child support should ever be paid past that point.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I'd prefer if the kids were with me all the time, but I still see them whenever I want and am at all their sporting and school events, etc etc....I know lots of married dads who simply have no time for themselves and that would suck.

It sounds like you are divorced or separated?  I think that makes a difference in how you view parenting.  It’s all psychological fodder but, having the “guaranteed” time for yourself probably makes a difference.  We’ve stayed married and I spent far less than 50% of my time with my child her first 10-12 years.  I was always gone but, every spare moment I had was with her and much of what I did was for her. It was a really tough and exhausting balance sometimes.

12 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I don't get that.

I'm pretty sure if my marriage went tits up I could never put someone else before my kid, wife feels the same way.  Could not even imagine how empty life would be without our son.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Yep, no doubt about this.  Having kids is one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life.  

We have 3 kids and 5 grandkids.  They are all so much fun.  

2 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Is one child all one really needs or is their a cumulative fulfillment that comes from additional?  Is there a point of diminishing returns?  We absolutely love our dog and the wife has talked about getting a second one but I just know or at least think I know that there’s no way I would love a second one as much.  We have two cats already and I definitely have a clear favorite out of those two.  Those with multiple kids, would you say that you have a clear fave?  

We have two dogs to keep each other company and a cat.  lol.

We wanted three kids, but only had one.  I think its good for kids to have siblings.  

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I don't get that.

I'm pretty sure if my marriage went tits up I could never put someone else before my kid, wife feels the same way.  Could not even imagine how empty life would be without our son.

This is what good parents say.  :bc:

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We have two dogs to keep each other company and a cat.  lol.

We wanted three kids, but only had one.  I think its good for kids to have siblings.  

We had one and that was the plan.  Spoil one.  We should have reworked that plan a bit I think but, meh....all the kids now are somewhat entitled in one way or another.....regardless of what they had growing up.

25 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It sounds like you are divorced or separated?  I think that makes a difference in how you view parenting.  It’s all psychological fodder but, having the “guaranteed” time for yourself probably makes a difference.  We’ve stayed married and I spent far less than 50% of my time with my child her first 10-12 years.  I was always gone but, every spare moment I had was with her and much of what I did was for her. It was a really tough and exhausting balance sometimes.

it does

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Depending on income level child support can vary greatly and be a major monthly income for some mothers.  With out that kid payment there life style may have to change depending on there personal financial situation.

yes kids can be expensive.

Yes, my buddy was paying a little over 1200 a month for 2 children.  She was remarried, had her own business, and her new spouse worked as well, but the only income that mattered was what she reported on her taxes as her income.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

frenchy got divorced a long time ago I think? 

I got separated like 6 years ago. About 18 months ago a registered letter gets delivered. I open it up and it's my divorce papers. Didn't even have to pay a dime for them :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1