Check your account email address ×

Today’s project

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Oh these engineers are so smart... NOT

I get to drill a .020 hole at a 45 degree angle... sure no problem 🙄

F5FF637F-2B1B-40B4-99D4-B286C85D7651.jpeg

Ha...I had a set of those with a little tiny hand drill for drilling out jets on motorcycle carbs.  PIA.

5 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have a few jobs where a hole needs to be drilled at an angle like you have through a Cobalt bushing to a depth. The solution is hardened drill bushings press into a small fixture. It gets rid of the side loads on the drill and gives you location control.

cobalt? oooffff

Great idea.. just too much work for one hole lol

I was able to use a end mill to make the 1/8th bore then used a tiny center drill to provide guidance then I was able to use my drill with the extension. came out spot on.

Thanks for the idea

2 hours ago, Pete said:

cobalt? oooffff

Great idea.. just too much work for one hole lol

I was able to use a end mill to make the 1/8th bore then used a tiny center drill to provide guidance then I was able to use my drill with the extension. came out spot on.

Thanks for the idea

Seems like everything I work with is made of unobtainium.

4 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have a few jobs where a hole needs to be drilled at an angle like you have through a Cobalt bushing to a depth. The solution is hardened drill bushings press into a small fixture. It gets rid of the side loads on the drill and gives you location control.

I'm not following, but if you ever get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of what you're talking about.  :bc:

1 hour ago, hayward said:

I'm not following, but if you ever get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of what you're talking about.  :bc:

Yea I can't really show you pics of work fixtures. Drill bushings can be bought in different holes sizes that are just a tad bigger than the drill being used. The advantage is they are a high enough Rockwell number as to wear out the drill rather than allow the location of the hole to be moved or worn out of spec.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Yea I can't really show you pics of work fixtures. Drill bushings can be bought in different holes sizes that are just a tad bigger than the drill being used. The advantage is they are a high enough Rockwell number as to wear out the drill rather than allow the location of the hole to be moved or worn out of spec.

I think this is what you're talking about?

Now how the hell is Pete doing this on a 45 angle though?  I should'a taken machining in high school instead of sitting through all the worthless classes of shit I never needed so far in life.

13 hours ago, hayward said:

Now how the hell is Pete doing this on a 45 angle though?  I should'a taken machining in high school instead of sitting through all the worthless classes of shit I never needed so far in life.

One of the fixtures I made is for putting a stake pin in the center of bushing at an angle of 30 degrees. The bushing is only .200 thick and the hole in the center is only 3/8 or .375. the pin has to be on center line +/- .005 and the depth of the hole is .120 +/- .010 as any deeper makes the drill go out the side of the bracket which makes it junk. So the drill is .051 and the bushing is made of Cobalt which is not exactly the cotten candy of materials. Without replaceable drill bushings it would be impossible. Simple fixtures may have a dozen or more bushings for drilling broken bolts out of a bolt pattern. 

13 hours ago, hayward said:

The first thing I used was a 1/8" endmill. An endmill is very rigid and allows me to plunge cut at a 45 degree angle without deflection. That leaves me a flat bottom to drill the tiny hole through.

Now if I had a 100 of these to do the drill bushing fixture would help to provide accurate repeatable hole locations.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

The first thing I used was a 1/8" endmill. An endmill is very rigid and allows me to plunge cut at a 45 degree angle without deflection. That leaves me a flat bottom to drill the tiny hole through.

Now if I had a 100 of these to do the drill bushing fixture would help to provide accurate repeatable hole locations.

For a single part you went the right way.

5 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

For a single part you went the right way.

Thank you.

Ill be getting a different version of it soon im sure. Research work is challenging

33 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

I would have bumped it up to a 1/32 drill.

C'mon - doesn't get any easier than plastic (for the most part).

from .020 to .031? Not what the engineer wanted. wants it even smaller down to .010. smallest I have is .013

57 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Yea - we adjust (gamble) a fair amount on stuff like that. 

That for some type of air bearing & why they want it so small?

Injecting air and water into a .010 wide channel over a 6” distance. Working on fuel cells 

ill get kids and professors coming in for ridiculous requests like this and I’ll say damn that’s tiny. Can I make it twice as big? And there answer is sure what the hell. Really? Jesus 

But this professor knows his shit so I try to do what he asks even if it is damn near impossible with a Bridgeport. Can’t use the quill as there is no feel with a .020 drill

Edited by Pete

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Injecting air and water into a .010 wide channel over a 6” distance. Working on fuel cells 

ill get kids and professors coming in for ridiculous requests like this and I’ll say damn that’s tiny. Can I make it twice as big? And there answer is sure what the hell. Really? Jesus 

But this professor knows his shit so I try to do what he asks even if it is damn near impossible with a Bridgeport. Can’t use the quill as there is no feel with a .020 drill

Ahh gotcha!

Most of the time we are in a machine with the job & the machinist is struggling, or finds out we don't have that size drill etc in house. Customer would take too long to get an answer from, or I don't want to bother them - so I just have them bump up to the next size or whatever ...if I have an educated guess on what it is for anyway.

You set it on a sine plate?