Check your account email address ×

Generational shift: Young Jews come out as anti-Zionist without fearing parents’ wrath

Generational shift: Young Jews come out as anti-Zionist without fearing parents’ wrath

https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/generational-zionist-without/?fbclid=IwAR3ab_-mzWghmJ6DdQDONd8RS8aRV8QD3HEUTwMTwgTmQ_n_YmLOKxiO52U

This past May, something remarkable happened in the senior issue of the Evanston Township High School newspaper, the Evanstonian: two Jewish seniors published essays unburdened of the anxiety and baggage that typically accompany such essays critical of the Jewish State.  Rachel Krumholz and Abe Frolichstein-Appel, both anti-Zionist teens, wrote pieces that oppose Israel and Zionism without apology.

Rachel’s article,  “A Reclamation of My Jewish Identity,” boldly stresses the importance of separating antisemitism from anti-Zionism:

Conflating antisemitism and anti-Zionism perpetuates the narrative that Israel embodies Judaism and the Jewish people. A government cannot represent any specific religion and still serve all citizens equally.

Similarly, Abe Frolichstein-Appel’s piece, Reevaluating Antisemitism,” deconstructs the Zionist rhetoric that claims criticism of Israel is antisemitic:

The separation between the word “antisemitism” and the phenomenon it once described is used to defend the State of Israel under the guise of defending Jews.

But these teenagers’ parents are in their 40s and 50s now, and these teens are empowered to criticize Israel.  These families don’t feel betrayed; their love of Judaism isn’t called into question when their kids oppose Zionism.  There isn’t a risk of alienation when these teens speak up.

Their essays weren’t charged in a way that the pieces of my generation were.  Many of us undid it alone. When we had a paradigm shift about Israel, a change in our worldview, we provided disclaimers and apologies.  We stuttered and prevaricated.  Some of us lost family and friends and communities.  We became defensive as we tried to explain our position.  “Judaism and Zionism are totally synonymous!” my mother told me many times, when I tried to talk with her about the shift I was going through.

These students are not apologizing, even as they experience backlash for their views. After Rachel was accepted to the George Washington University (GW), which she will attend this fall, she enthusiastically joined the GW Jewish Facebook group.  As she explains in her essay, she immediately experienced bullying from other Jewish students when she criticized Israel:

One person instantly replied to my comment saying ‘I wish I could dislike this.’ Another person went out of their way to find my Snapchat, add me and bombard me with accusations, falsities, and invalidations of my Jewishness. They said that they had never met a pro-Palestine Jew, that I ‘needed to do my research’ and that all Palestinians hated Jews (a racist, yet uncomfortably prevalent sentiment).

Despite the vitriol she received from the Facebook group, Rachel nonetheless feels empowered to decide what kind of Jew she wants to be.  Criticism of Israel makes her no less of a Jew, she writes, but a better one.  “What Jewish leaders in Israel often do is place limitations on Jewishness,” Rachel declares, “claiming that one must support Israel in order to be a real Jew.”  At the restaurant, Rachel said proudly, “I consider myself a pro-Palestinian Jew.”

When his piece came out in December, Joe told me some students said they were boycotting the Evanstonian because he had written about the murders in Gaza.  But he did not waver.  “Liberal Zionists don’t want to have serious discussions about how nationalism and imperialism can take root in many different forms,” Joe said.  “I find that they want to avoid the conflict, or feel the conflict doesn’t serve them in any real way.”

Just now, jtssrx said:

I don't support Zionists and I don't support the state of Israel. I have no issue with the people of Isreal but the government is scum  

You were asking for a positive story I've posted.

Just now, motonoggin said:

Obviously you didn't fucking read the article.

Why am I not fucking surprised?

Are you like autistic or something?

I just read it. This Story is anti-American in that it's a story and a backhanded smack at America supporting Zionist Jews and the Jewish state. 

11 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I just read it. This Story is anti-American in that it's a story and a backhanded smack at America supporting Zionist Jews and the Jewish state. 

I had a feeling you were going to say something like that. You know the us has done some horrid shit, but you don't want people to talk about it because you see this country as somehow infallible? Wtf? 

It's a positive thing that young Jews are no longer afraid to directly confront Zionism.

The facts don't care about your feelings, snowflake.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

Obviously you didn't fucking read the article.

Why am I not fucking surprised?

Are you like autistic or something?

He can’t tear himself away from the Mueller dog and pony show.

25 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

More isolated?  Compared to when?

During the past 5 years it’s sank to some new lows. The only countries that give Israel a thumbs is Kenya, Nigeria, and the US. The UK, EU, and even Australia have seen them for what they are. They are signing their own fate. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

During the past 5 years it’s sank to some new lows. The only countries that give Israel a thumbs is Kenya, Nigeria, and the US. The UK, EU, and even Australia have seen them for what they are. They are signing their own fate. 

I disagree.  Mostly because you just pulled some shot out of your ass to try and back your opinion.  :lol:

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

I had a feeling you were going to say something like that. You know the us has done some horrid shit, but you don't want people to talk about it because you see this country as somehow infallible? Wtf? 

It's a positive thing that young Jews are no longer afraid to directly confront Zionism.

The facts don't care about your feelings, snowflake.

You knew I was going to say it becuase it's a fact. Of course, this country has done some terrible things. I don't support any of it. but the fact remains this country as much as you hate it is still one of the best places in the world to live. 

Edited by jtssrx

Just now, Zambroski said:

I disagree.  Mostly because you just pulled some shot out of your ass to try and back your opinion.  :lol:

What’s it like to live in your bubble packaged world? It’s gotta be amazing. 

1 minute ago, jtssrx said:

You knew I was going to say it becuase it's a fact. Of course, this country has done some terrible things. I don't support any of it. but the fact remains this country as much as you hate it is still one of the best places in the world to live. 

Rather presumptuous on your part. I’ve never heard anyone here say they hated the USA. I’ve heard hate towards policies and the horrible effects it’s had on other countries and minorities within. The greatest gift the US constitution and bill of rights grants us all is the expression of contempt towards the country’s fucked up policies. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Rather presumptuous on your part. I’ve never heard anyone here say they hated the USA. I’ve heard hate towards policies and the horrible effects it’s had on other countries and minorities within. The greatest gift the US constitution and bill of rights grants us all is the expression of contempt towards the country’s fucked up policies. 

Nobody has said they hate America but the resident flag wavers are too dense to make the distinction.

42 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

one must suck Trump cock otherwise they are anti american is the attitude of some of those with lack of critical thinking skills on here.  Funny cause they bitched about Obie for 8+ years