Check your account email address ×

Need some help with a small motor

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have a small track carrier with a 389cc 4 stroke motor that won’t start.

We drove it on to a trailer Thursday and took it to a jobsite. Once there we couldn’t get it started to get it off the trailer. Brought it back to the shop. Check it over, notice the oil is low. Top up the oil, 2 pulls and it starts. 

So Friday morning we take it to the job site and it won’t start again. Low on gas so fill the tank. Nothing, won’t start. Occasional sputter.

I dragged it off the trailer and in to my shop and here it sits.

Took out the plug. Looks fine, it’s dry. Plug it in and lay it on the motor, pull it over and it sparks. Put it back in, pull it a dozen times, nothing. Put some gas down the carb, nothing. Pull the plug, it’s dry. Put some gas down the cylinder and replace plug. Nothing. Pull plug again and it’s wet now. Clean up the plug, put it back in. Pull over a dozen times. Nothing.

I need this thing for Monday. I’m about to give up and put a new motor in it but it’s nagging me that it started then didn’t then did then didn’t. Lol

Seems like it must be something small but maybe not.

Any thoughts?

51 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have a small track carrier with a 389cc 4 stroke motor that won’t start.

We drove it on to a trailer Thursday and took it to a jobsite. Once there we couldn’t get it started to get it off the trailer. Brought it back to the shop. Check it over, notice the oil is low. Top up the oil, 2 pulls and it starts. 

So Friday morning we take it to the job site and it won’t start again. Low on gas so fill the tank. Nothing, won’t start. Occasional sputter.

I dragged it off the trailer and in to my shop and here it sits.

Took out the plug. Looks fine, it’s dry. Plug it in and lay it on the motor, pull it over and it sparks. Put it back in, pull it a dozen times, nothing. Put some gas down the carb, nothing. Pull the plug, it’s dry. Put some gas down the cylinder and replace plug. Nothing. Pull plug again and it’s wet now. Clean up the plug, put it back in. Pull over a dozen times. Nothing.

I need this thing for Monday. I’m about to give up and put a new motor in it but it’s nagging me that it started then didn’t then did then didn’t. Lol

Seems like it must be something small but maybe not.

Any thoughts?

Try this: Spray some STARTING FLUID into the air intake, and pull it over. If it starts for a few seconds, then you know your IGNITION SYSTEM is good. If it doesn't even sputter, then your plug might be fouled. 

If it starts, then you know it's a FUEL problem. Carb could be dirty, fuel line crimped, filter clogged, etc. 

56 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Who's motor. China made?

Time to cheat the ignition system. Close the plug gap to .010. See if it will start

Chink, top quality Powerfist . 

Tried a new plug. Nothing.

Dont have any Quick Start on hand.

Spent 2 hours fucking with it now. Could have had the new motor in.

Edited by Blackstar

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Chink, top quality Powerfist . 

Tried a new plug. Nothing.

Dont have any Quick Start on hand.

Spent 2 hours fucking with it now. Could have had the new motor in.

Close the gap on the plug. Possible weak ignition system. Can't fire under compression.

• Gold Member

Low oil sensor if it has one.  Bypass the sensor if it has a low oil sensor.  Been around plenty of Honda’s that we had to bypass the low oil sensors for the same issues you are having.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bladefever said:

Are you sure you have compression. Will it pop your finger off the plug hole. Just a thought....

It’s a good heave to pull the cord.

i have a charge on the battery (which is junk) so I can use the starter but it barely turns it over.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Low oil sensor if it has one.  Bypass the sensor if it has a low oil sensor.  Been around plenty of Honda’s that we had to bypass the low oil sensors for the same issues you are having.

I had one shear off the key way in the flywheel which set the spark timing way off.  Had Spark and Gas but no run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

I guarantee the other one will start now. LOL

Ya, probably will. Gave it to a buddy of mine to play with.

New motor won’t start. Wasted my entire weekend and got no where. :bashhead:

:suicide:

56 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Throw some fuel down the spark plug hole, not too much though..with choke on..

Tried that several times now. I just don’t get it. There is nothing from the old motor on this new motor but it behaves just the same. 

Cranks way faster with the choke on and puffs black out the exhaust but won’t start.

tons of spark each time I check.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Tried that several times now. I just don’t get it. There is nothing from the old motor on this new motor but it behaves just the same. 

Cranks way faster with the choke on and puffs black out the exhaust but won’t start.

With choke off, heat the spark plug with a propane torch till the ground electrode is red and internal electrode is very hot, install quickly finger tight and try to start it, may take several times..

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Just out of curiosity , did you take if off the machine and try to start it ?

42 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Just out of curiosity , did you take if off the machine and try to start it ?

No and this is where I’m headed next. I’m wondering if the hydraulic motor is dragging it down and won’t let it spin up.

34 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Not to be a dick but are you sure the fuel is turned on?

Been there done that one. :bc:

Its on and yes I checked it several times.

My buddy is coming over. Put a different set of eyes on it.

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No and this is where I’m headed next. I’m wondering if the hydraulic motor is dragging it down and won’t let it spin up.

That's what I was thinking. Sometimes without a load it's a whole different story.

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

That's what I was thinking. Sometimes without a load it's a whole different story.

so my buddy says "Did you try to fire up the old motor once you had it out? "

So of course it fires right up. Text my employee "is there a hydraulic lock on this machine some where?"

Yep, right hand side above the cooling fan. Click. Motor fires right up.

LOL, learn something new every day.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

so my buddy says "Did you try to fire up the old motor once you had it out? "

So of course it fires right up. Text my employee "is there a hydraulic lock on this machine some where?"

Yep, right hand side above the cooling fan. Click. Motor fires right up.

LOL, learn something new every day.

No offense, but I think you need a " group beating " for this. Not kill ya' or nothin', but a general roughing-up.