Check your account email address ×

BMW-unreliable

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

My 06 f-350 

238,000 on the clock

stock exhaust

stock alternater , starter all electrical componants except for FICM.

Including tires I put about $900 a yr into it.

Nice!  I think maybe 1000-1500 a year to keep an older vehicle on the road is reasonable in as far as what may be considered “reliable” .  Labor included.  IDK, maybe 2k?

For the record, the worst vehicles I’ve ever owned were BMW’s.  And it’s not even a close second.  Expensive, PIA, garbage IMO.  I accepted the fact that our first 5 series was a lemmon and fell apart right after warranty so, bought my daughter a 09 X5 a couple years ago.  I think 80k on the clock?  Six months later, I was happy to trade it and took whatever the dealership gave me for it...and I laughed at them as they drove it to their shop.

Never again.

Best vehicle so far and not even a close enough second to mention: Tundra.

20 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Nice!  I think maybe 1000-1500 a year to keep an older vehicle on the road is reasonable in as far as what may be considered “reliable” .  Labor included.  IDK, maybe 2k?

For the record, the worst vehicles I’ve ever owned were BMW’s.  And it’s not even a close second.  Expensive, PIA, garbage IMO.  I accepted the fact that our first 5 series was a lemmon and fell apart right after warranty so, bought my daughter a 09 X5 a couple years ago.  I think 80k on the clock?  Six months later, I was happy to trade it and took whatever the dealership gave me for it...and I laughed at them as they drove it to their shop.

Never again.

I know guys that are on both sides of the BMW debate. One of my buddies has owned them for years and had good luck with them. I have a couple other friends who have horror stories. Problem with them is there are no cheap fixes, everything is expensive as fuck. Hence why you can buy a 2 year old BMW for half of it's list price new. 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

I know guys that are on both sides of the BMW debate. One of my buddies has owned them for years and had good luck with them. I have a couple other friends who have horror stories. Problem with them is there are no cheap fixes, everything is expensive as fuck. Hence why you can buy a 2 year old BMW for half of it's list price new. 

Yeah.  I think Mercedes and Audi are the same way.  About half love them and are happy.  The other half say, nope!  I think Volvo is in that category also but, we’ve had good luck but only had them up to 120k miles.

But like I said, putting like 2k+ Maintenance a year into a vehicle then claiming “Uber reliable” is a farce.  And personal time spent fixing broken ass shit counts.  God damn my Beemers were fucking piles of fucking shit!!!!!

12 hours ago, Edmo said:

So what’s the M package? You get some of the M goodies but not the motor in the M5?

Correct.  Nice upgrades though.  The trans gets way more aggressive in sport mode.  About my only beef is the cabin is too quiet.  That inline 6 makes some really sweet noises and you can barely hear it from inside the cabin.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Never again.

I leased an 07 Tundra Crewmax when they introduced the new generation in 07, no doubt nice vehicle.  I only kept it to 53k and then sold it for the buyout even though I was like 17,000 miles over.  Boring as fuck interior though.  Ive since bought 4 low mile used MBs for the wife and I and say what you want, theyve been good to us, and US stuff is still shit in comparison.  This 750 has about a year and a half and 28k miles left under warranty, if it starts giving me grief, ill flip it.  The German stuff just drives and holds up better, everything from rust prevention to the quality of the interiors.

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I got all 8 coils and plugs.... OE, direct from BMW of South Carolina, for $525.

After going German it’s impossible to ignore the difference. The cars just fit. Everything is where it’s supposed to be. I’ve had a BMW 5 series. 1M, 135i, and M2. My favorite was the 135i. It was simple and raw. I should’ve kept it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, spin_dry said:

After going German it’s impossible to ignore the difference. The cars just fit. Everything is where it’s supposed to be. I’ve had a BMW 5 series. 1M, 135i, and M2. My favorite was the 135i. It was simple and raw. I should’ve kept it. 

330i, 325i, 325Xi, 325Xi, 328i, X5 50i

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

I got all 8 coils and plugs.... OE, direct from BMW of South Carolina, for $525.

Im still trying see the downside of buying a car that stickered for 110k new, that still has plenty of warranty and life left for less than half.  It also helps having a Non dealer shop that can work on them.

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Didn’t you have mostly higher mileage stuff? 

Cars for the kids yeah. And the prices I paid for parts were not prohibitive. Experienced techs let me know where and when to go aftermarket or OEM. Otherwise, I buy strictly OE from a dealer.

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Im still trying see the downside of buying a car that stickered for 110k new, that still has plenty of warranty and life left for less than half.  It also helps having a Non dealer shop that can work on them.

I paid $17k for the X5. Listed 72K. Just the coils and plugs and the aux water pump. Put 40k on it so far. (Bought the aftermarket warranty.)

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Since the new Supra is basically a rebadged Z4, Toyota is sending a tech to school to know all things BMW.

That tech is Scotty Sidewinder. :giggity:

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Parts aren’t anymore expensive than other cars. In fact, some are cheaper. The costs are high only if you take them to a beemer shop. I do all my own work. The only issue I had with my cars was a audio system component on the 135i. I bought a used module off eBay for $60. BMW’s have an awesome self diagnostic app available. It shows both shadow codes and hard codes. It also allows a recoding of the ecu. 

Just now, Snake said:

Cars for the kids yeah. And the prices I paid for parts were not prohibitive. Experienced techs let me know where and when to go aftermarket or OEM. Otherwise, I buy strictly OE from a dealer.

I paid $17k for the X5. Listed 72K. Just the coils and plugs and the aux water pump. Put 40k on it so far. (Bought the aftermarket warranty.)

The thing is, they still drive like the 72k price.  My ML was damn good to me, in 6 years I put over 130k on it, towed sleds with etc..  Theyre doing some recall on mine to replace some oil lines to the turbos?  Yours get that done?  I think they have the same basic motors, no?

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Parts aren’t anymore expensive than other cars. In fact, some are cheaper. The costs are high only if you take them to a beemer shop. I do all my own work. The only issue I had with my cars was a audio system component on the 135i. I bought a used module off eBay for $60. BMW’s have an awesome self diagnostic app available. It shows both shadow codes and hard codes. It also allows a recoding of the ecu. 

One of these, and the $5 app Torque is a necessity. Way over and above what the self diagnostic can do. I actually have 2, and have given 2 as gifts.

s-l1600.jpg

https://torque-bhp.com/

Just now, DriftBusta said:

The thing is, they still drive like the 72k price.  My ML was damn good to me, in 6 years I put over 130k on it, towed sleds with etc..  Theyre doing some recall on mine to replace some oil lines to the turbos?  Yours get that done?  I think they have the same basic motors, no?

Drives awesome. A one of the first that don't eat tires.

The motors are the same but the plumbing is going to be different. My intercoolers ride very low in the front of the lower valance, the 750 hasn't the room. The only recalls I am getting is on the FUCKING AIR BAGS.

27 minutes ago, Snake said:

Do you do your own repairs? Because Im going to bet most bmw owners dont. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Drives awesome. A one of the first that don't eat tires.

The motors are the same but the plumbing is going to be different. My intercoolers ride very low in the front of the lower valance, the 750 hasn't the room. The only recalls I am getting is on the FUCKING AIR BAGS.

My ml also had the same takata airbag recall, was supposed to get done last month.  Someone elses problem now.  :lol: 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Do you do your own repairs? Because Im going to bet most bmw owners dont. :lol: 

Most of the bow tie wearing drivers won't, that is a fact. But I think no fewer than any other brand.

I am FAR from mechanically inclined, but I can follow a YouTube video with the best of them. I had to swap out a valve cover gasket that is prone to fail at high mileage. While not hard, it is intimidating to someone like me. But did it with minimal threatening of life.

A lot of the fear is unfounded. Pull all the plastic and you are looking at a mostly typical motor.

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

One of these, and the $5 app Torque is a necessity. Way over and above what the self diagnostic can do. I actually have 2, and have given 2 as gifts.

s-l1600.jpg

https://torque-bhp.com/

I purchased the Carly app and adaptor in 2014. Back then Carly had a lifetime, one fee subscription that made it a good deal. Newer subscribers now pay annually. It’s been great. It recodes, diagnoses, and shows real-time data. Logging can be sent in to Germany and technicians are there to help at no charge. 

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

For sure the beemer dealer is going to be the worst option but I dont really have any inclination to work on cars anymore myself. I dont have any problem with the cars myself as I like them and many other luxury brands.  

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Most of the bow tie wearing drivers won't, that is a fact. But I think no fewer than any other brand.

I am FAR from mechanically inclined, but I can follow a YouTube video with the best of them. I had to swap out a valve cover gasket that is prone to fail at high mileage. While not hard, it is intimidating to someone like me. But did it with minimal threatening of life.

A lot of the fear is unfounded. Pull all the plastic and you are looking at a mostly typical motor.

Was coming home from Maine last weekend, and the line to get on 290 always backs up a mile or two before the actual exit.  Theres always a few dickheads who pull in last minute, beating all the traffic.  Wife is telling me, keep going you can pull in last minute.  I say to her, BMW drivers already have a bad enough reputation, I dont wanna be that guy!  Christ what is happening, nornally Id have listened to her  :lol: 

31 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Was coming home from Maine last weekend, and the line to get on 290 always backs up a mile or two before the actual exit.  Theres always a few dickheads who pull in last minute, beating all the traffic.  Wife is telling me, keep going you can pull in last minute.  I say to her, BMW drivers already have a bad enough reputation, I dont wanna be that guy!  Christ what is happening, nornally Id have listened to her  :lol: 

I can see it... :lol:

• Haha 1