Check your account email address ×

Air travel union leaders release dire safety warning as shutdown continues

Air travel union leaders release dire safety warning as shutdown continues

Source: The Hill

Air travel union leaders on Wednesday released a dire warning about the government shutdown’s affect on air travel. 

In a joint statement, the heads of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, the Air Line Pilots Association and the Association of Flight Attendants wrote of their “growing concern for the safety and security of our members, our airlines, and the traveling public.” 

“In our risk averse industry, we cannot even calculate the level of risk currently at play, nor predict the point at which the entire system will break,” they wrote. “It is unprecedented.” 

The statement comes on the 33rd day of the partial government shutdown, which has lasted longer than any others in U.S. history.

Read more: https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/aviation/426709-air-travel-union-leaders-release-dire-safety-warning-as

• Platinum Contributing Member

Meh, I have no flights planned. 

If this isn't proof what will happen under single payer when the medical industry starts getting forced pay cuts I don't know what is.   2 paychecks of which they will get!

"In our risk averse industry, we cannot even calculate the level of risk currently at play, nor predict the point at which the entire system will break,” they wrote. “It is unprecedented.

Edited by Highmark

We have a growing concern for the safety and security of our members, our airlines, and the traveling public due to the government shutdown. This is already the longest government shutdown in the history of the United States and there is no end in sight. In our risk averse industry, we cannot even calculate the level of risk currently at play, nor predict the point at which the entire system will break. It is unprecedented.

“Due to the shutdown, air traffic controllers, transportation security officers, safety inspectors, air marshals, federal law enforcement officers, FBI agents, and many other critical workers have been working without pay for over a month. Staffing in our air traffic control facilities is already at a 30-year low and controllers are only able to maintain the system’s efficiency and capacity by working overtime, including 10-hour days and 6-day workweeks at many of our nation’s busiest facilities. Due to the shutdown, the FAA has frozen hiring and shuttered its training academy, so there is no plan in effect to fill the FAA’s critical staffing need. Even if the FAA were hiring, it takes two to four years to become fully facility certified and achieve Certified Professional Controller (CPC) status. Almost 20% of CPCs are eligible to retire today. There are no options to keep these professionals at work without a paycheck when they can no longer afford to support their families. When they elect to retire, the National Airspace System (NAS) will be crippled.

“The situation is changing at a rapid pace. Major airports are already seeing security checkpoint closures, with many more potentially to follow. Safety inspectors and federal cyber security staff are not back on the job at pre-shutdown levels, and those not on furlough are working without pay. Last Saturday, TSA management announced that a growing number of officers cannot come to work due to the financial toll of the shutdown. In addition, we are not confident that system-wide analyses of safety reporting data, which is used to identify and implement corrective actions in order to reduce risks and prevent accidents is 100 percent operational due to reduced FAA resources.

“As union leaders, we find it unconscionable that aviation professionals are being asked to work without pay and in an air safety environment that is deteriorating by the day. To avoid disruption to our aviation system, we urge Congress and the White House to take all necessary steps to end this shutdown immediately. “

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Meh, I have no flights planned. 

If this isn't proof what will happen under single payer when the medical industry starts getting forced pay cuts I don't know what is.   2 paychecks of which they will get!

"In our risk averse industry, we cannot even calculate the level of risk currently at play, nor predict the point at which the entire system will break,” they wrote. “It is unprecedented.

Once again your selfish remarks are exposing you. Fuck everyone else cause I am not flying

Just now, Mainecat said:

Once again your selfish remarks are exposing you. Fuck everyone else cause I am not flying

Sarcasm dude......sarcasm.    

18 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It might take a catastrophic event or two to end it. Which is fine. 

Deja vu or are you secretly hoping for another terrorist plot to unfold 

Longest shutdown in US history?  But Trump was the best at making deals. 

How did this happen?

Good thing this is the only fail. 

Once this little snag is fixed, you can go back to celebrating your health coverage for everyone at a fraction of the cost, Mexico paying for the big beautiful wall, Hillary being in jail, the destruction of ISIS and China being labelled a currency manipulator. :frech:

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Longest shutdown in US history?  But Trump was the best at making deals. 

How did this happen?

Good thing this is the only fail. 

Once this little snag is fixed, you can go back to celebrating your health coverage for everyone at a fraction of the cost, Mexico paying for the big beautiful wall, Hillary being in jail, the destruction of ISIS and China being labelled a currency manipulator. :frech:

Done with your whirlwind bus tours?

Stay in your lane, BarbieHands.

:lol:

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It might take a catastrophic event or two to end it. Which is fine. 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

No comments for your butt buddy?  :lol:   Just me for saying meh.  

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Done with your whirlwind bus tours?

Stay in your lane, BarbieHands.

Hey Zampedo. Thanks for asking the cruise was awesome. Beautiful place, lots of French influence. I know your stupid is always on display but bus tours of French Polynesia aren’t very practical. Check out a map and you may be able to figure it out. 

The Trump shutdown sure fucked with travel.  3/4 of the flights on the board were delayed. We don’t trust Merca so we left a full day between connecting flights. It was great planning. 

Just now, revkevsdi said:

Hey Zampedo. Thanks for asking the cruise was awesome. Beautiful place, lots of French influence. I know your stupid is always on display but bus tours of French Polynesia aren’t very practical. Check out a map and you may be able to figure it out. 

The Trump shutdown sure fucked with travel.  3/4 of the flights on the board were delayed. We don’t trust Merca so we left a full day between connecting flights. It was great planning. 

There it is!!

”I call people pedophiles...I’m winning!!!!!!!”  :lol:

List of people that missed you:

1.) Tool Kit

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

There it is!!

”I call people pedophiles...I’m winning!!!!!!!”  :lol:

List of people that missed you:

1.) Tool Kit

Only people who share photos of tiny hands and have a nickname for molesting children. Sorry nightcap.  You shared too much. 

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Only people who share photos of tiny hands and have a nickname for molesting children. Sorry nightcap.  You shared too much. 

“I call people pedophiles on social media!!!!  Look at me winning!!!!  I WIN!!!!”

48808246-7E6E-4947-AD67-2560C58D26BB.gif

• Haha 1

Air Travel Union: If we are stressed at home planes will crash.  

Me: God please don't show up for work if someone is fucking your wife.  

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

He was gone?

I was hoping forever.  International TDS seems to be as weak as the US strain. When will these miserable people decide enough is enough?  There’s no reason to suffer like this.

ZamKevorkian?

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Now im timeshare dave.

You only owned 1/3 of a business. Technically that’s not timeshare but closer than 50%. You earned it. Congratulations. 

Edited by revkevsdi

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Now im timeshare dave.

BarbieHands: “Watch this Tool Kit, I’m gonna do the “I know you are but what am I” thing”

Tool kit: “Holy shit!  DROP THE BOMB!!!  They’ll never know what hit them!!!”

• Haha 1