Check your account email address ×

More Accusations Of Child Sex Abuse By Priests In Illinois Uncovered, Says AG

• Platinum Contributing Member

Accusations of child sex abuse against at least 500 Roman Catholic priests and clergy members in Illinois have never been made public, a preliminary investigation by the state's attorney general has found.

That brings the total number of members in the Illinois dioceses who have been accused of sexually abusing minors to about 690, according to the report released Wednesday. The church had previously made public the names of only 185 accused priests, 45 of whom were added after Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office started investigating in August.

Madigan started her investigation into the Catholic Church after a sweeping grand jury investigation in Pennsylvania uncovered more than 300 "predator priests" statewide who committed "criminal and/or morally reprehensible conduct."

The report out of Pennsylvania was scathing:

"Priests were raping little boys and girls, and the men of God who were responsible for them not only did nothing; they hid it all."

Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro called it a "systematic cover-up" and a "failure of law enforcement," NPR previously reported. Additionally, the grand jury investigation named the accused priests, something the Illinois attorney general's report did not.

28 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

690?! Wtf. That just seems statistically impossible. 

I thought that too but how many of these priests were moved from state to state.   Abusers in PA ending up in IL and so on and so on.  Around 17600 parish's in the US and plenty have more than one priest.   Plus it goes back decades.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I thought that too but how many of these priests were moved from state to state.   Abusers in PA ending up in IL and so on and so on.  Around 17600 parish's in the US and plenty have more than one priest.   Plus it goes back decades.  

True, but either way, just astonishing. 

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Huh. No one asking why the accusers waited so long. 

I wonder why that is?

690. Is fucking nuts. The percentage would be interesting to know. 

Nothing about kids being molested is interesting 

5 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

True, but either way, just astonishing. 

Astonishing, disgusting and enough to enrage someone.  

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Nothing about kids being molested is interesting 

Knowing the percentage would help understand the scale. 

How many Muslim clerics have been accused? 

There is good news it may reduce the amount of refugees.  

I know when the story about the “Christian brothers” broke, refugees started choosing Quebec over Newfoundland.  They said they’d rather have language shoved down their throats than religion up their asses. 

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Knowing the percentage would help understand the scale. 

How many Muslim clerics have been accused? 

There is good news it may reduce the amount of refugees.  

I know when the story about the “Christian brothers” broke, refugees started choosing Quebec over Newfoundland.  They said they’d rather have language shoved down their throats than religion up their asses. 

Muslims and refugees? :wtf: is wrong with you man? 

Just now, revkevsdi said:

Fuck Man! 690 Priests!!! That's seems more like it's mandatory than the exception. 

So you do have a sense of scale with this then huh?

You just wanted to sneak in some Muslim comment along with refugee crap and soon something about Trump :flush: 

10 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

I would think there are a bunch that haven't even been found yet.  Is this just in the US or do other countries have fucked up clergy as well? 

This seems extreme. But I would guess it’s worse In places with less open media. 

Homosexuality and pedophilia is rampant in the Catholic Church. It has always been well known and the church has protected priests. At least the carpet munching nuns weren't raping boys.