Check your account email address ×

I came home to the Heartbeat of America

7 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I have never owned a blue a vehicle and when I saw it I was like damn I like that. The center caps are going on Monday, the truck was at one of the dealers other stores and they left out the center caps and the rubber floor mats.

Camshaft issues on Rams seem to be a problem as they get up in miles, mine had 91K on it.

Did your's have camshaft issues or were you just worried you might eventually? What year was yours and what engine oil did you use?

7 hours ago, irv said:

Did your's have camshaft issues or were you just worried you might eventually? What year was yours and what engine oil did you use?

The truck requires 5w-20, I used a semi-syn. The 5.7 hemi has MDS like many V-8's do where the lifters have a pin that is activated by oil pressure that is controlled by a solenoid, this allows the lifter to collapse, I had the truck go into eco-mode when it shouldn't have and then it ran fine and was probably the solenoid sending a false signal, in any event this led me to do some research for that issue and then I found that the 5.7L has had issues with camshafts as seen in the vid below, while I didn't have that issue I thought the truck is 8 years old with some light scratches, rock chips that showed rust, etc. stuff that would have been about $1,500 to make look new. My truck was a 2011.

The truck has really been stellar in that the only time it left me stranded was when a wire inside the original starter failed this past summer, of course this happened up in the woods near the WIsconsin/UP border where I had a fuck of a time getting cell signal and it took 6 hours to get a rescue tow in; the way I travel in stupid cold weather and bomb around on two track through the woods during the summer made me think I need me a new truck :bc: 

\

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Excessive cam wear can be determined with used oil analysis. It’s a good way to peak inside any engine. 

Sure, but seven years is a good run. Was starting to look bad and left him stranded once. 

Time for a new truck! 

:bc: 

3 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The truck requires 5w-20, I used a semi-syn. The 5.7 hemi has MDS like many V-8's do where the lifters have a pin that is activated by oil pressure that is controlled by a solenoid, this allows the lifter to collapse, I had the truck go into eco-mode when it shouldn't have and then it ran fine and was probably the solenoid sending a false signal, in any event this led me to do some research for that issue and then I found that the 5.7L has had issues with camshafts as seen in the vid below, while I didn't have that issue I thought the truck is 8 years old with some light scratches, rock chips that showed rust, etc. stuff that would have been about $1,500 to make look new. My truck was a 2011.

The truck has really been stellar in that the only time it left me stranded was when a wire inside the original starter failed this past summer, of course this happened up in the woods near the WIsconsin/UP border where I had a fuck of a time getting cell signal and it took 6 hours to get a rescue tow in; the way I travel in stupid cold weather and bomb around on two track through the woods during the summer made me think I need me a new truck :bc: 

\

I was more wondering what brand of oil you used, Vince? Mobil, Valvoline, etc? I have run strictly Pennzoil in mine, usually Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. The engine runs smooth and quiet on it. I believe the camshaft issues are on earlier models like yours and some have them some don't. Roll the dice. Mine is a 13 and other than rust coming through on the front fenders, it has been a great truck. I need to get it in asap for them to look at those fenders. Some are being repainted and some are being refused. Funny, there is a backorder on Ram front fenders.

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

My response was to irv. I assumed that he had a ram and may want a possible method to check the status of a motor. 

UOAs (used oil analysis) are basically just good for checking the status of the oil, not so much for engine internals unless they show high metal wear numbers and/or other things like antifreeze and high sodium. There has been some instances where UOAs have looked excellent but then engines, all of a sudden, go Kaput. They are not as reliable/dependable as one might think.

7 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

My ram has a crazy noisy lash guide.  Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer is the only way it stays quiet 

What oil are you using, XCR? Lucas is a band aid and shouldn't be used, imo, as it will eventually create further problems. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1831733 https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2434511/Re:_Just_how_dangerous_is_Luca

58 minutes ago, irv said:

I was more wondering what brand of oil you used, Vince? Mobil, Valvoline, etc? I have run strictly Pennzoil in mine, usually Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. The engine runs smooth and quiet on it. I believe the camshaft issues are on earlier models like yours and some have them some don't. Roll the dice. Mine is a 13 and other than rust coming through on the front fenders, it has been a great truck. I need to get it in asap for them to look at those fenders. Some are being repainted and some are being refused. Funny, there is a backorder on Ram front fenders.

UOAs (used oil analysis) are basically just good for checking the status of the oil, not so much for engine internals unless they show high metal wear numbers and/or other things like antifreeze and high sodium. There has been some instances where UOAs have looked excellent but then engines, all of a sudden, go Kaput. They are not as reliable/dependable as one might think.

What oil are you using, XCR? Lucas is a band aid and shouldn't be used, imo, as it will eventually create further problems. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1831733 https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2434511/Re:_Just_how_dangerous_is_Luca

Usually use Mobil 1 

2 hours ago, irv said:

UOA can ID excessive wear problems with good accuracy. Worn cam lobes will show a particular wear signature of a specific metal type than main or rod bearings. I have found it to be very accurate. I incorporated the use UOA into a fleet maintenance program several years ago. It was successful.  

On 11/16/2018 at 2:39 PM, AKIQPilot said:

Not quite as bad for sure.  I have no idea why Chebby went so square recently.  GM obviously got the message because the '19's are round again.  

Funny thing is most of the bitching about square wheel wells are from ford and ram owners looking to make fun of them. :lol: I don’t mind them and really, why should you care about it?

On 11/16/2018 at 1:40 PM, s pump said:

You're going to like that I just picked up this 6.2 SLT myself.

1542393574424161303977.jpg

Nice yard. Got a pic of your truck though? :lol: 

6 hours ago, irv said:

The rust bubble showed up on my left fender up above Ram badge about 3 years ago Ram repaired it under warranty and then it appeared again about a year later, I wanted a new fender as there was obviously an issue with the fender, it took 4 months for Ram to deny and I obviously wasn't happy so the dealer worked a deal where they paid for the labor and I paid for a new fender, my cost was less than $200.00.

All my company vehicles save 2 of them are Caddies, GMC's and Chevy's, and I always refer to GM as Generous Motors just because they stand behind there product like no one else while in warranty and even when out of warranty, Ford and Ram are slugs when it comes to warranty and you are completely fucked if it's a day or a mile out of warranty.

As far as what oil I used many of the changes were done at the dealer and I don't know what they used, and my oil change place uses Pennzoil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The rust bubble showed up on my left fender up above Ram badge about 3 years ago Ram repaired it under warranty and then it appeared again about a year later, I wanted a new fender as there was obviously an issue with the fender, it took 4 months for Ram to deny and I obviously wasn't happy so the dealer worked a deal where they paid for the labor and I paid for a new fender, my cost was less than $200.00.

All my company vehicles save 2 of them are Caddies, GMC's and Chevy's, and I always refer to GM as Generous Motors just because they stand behind there product like no one else while in warranty and even when out of warranty, Ford and Ram are slugs when it comes to warranty and you are completely fucked if it's a day or a mile out of warranty.

As far as what oil I used many of the changes were done at the dealer and I don't know what they used, and my oil change place uses Pennzoil.

I finally sold that pos stealth trailer you suggested i buy...worse trailer ive ever owned...very bad quality.

Just now, DAVE said:

All my enclosed have been torsion...except the one h&h i had...broke every leaf on that fucker.

All mine are spring.  But my trailers a little heavier duty than yours.  

Well.  I have one 2 place Aluma that is torsion.  Decent trailer.  

We've discussed this before.  I'm not a big fan of torsion axles.  I know most people are and I'm good with that.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

All mine are spring.  But my trailers a little heavier duty than yours.  

Well.  I have one 2 place Aluma that is torsion.  Decent trailer.  

We've discussed this before.  I'm not a big fan of torsion axles.  I know most people are and I'm good with that.  

My open car hauler is leaf spring...and yes weve discussed this before.

:lol:

Screenshot_20181117-202320_Messenger.jpg