Jump to content

Ran into a New Scam today


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice day for a drive up to my house. I did give them a bottle of water for their time. The manager promised to put me on the DNC list.... Along with my promise call me again. I will invite you back up

So I stopped for lunch at a small plaza in Kitchener near the 401. I'm leaving, hop in my truck when a Grand Cherokee pulls up beside me. The guy is speaking to me in Italian and broken English. I fig

Most likely works with Italians and Ferrari jackets.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Update.... Today the duct cleaners are paying me another visit. Will try and get a picture.

Seems like the scammers are in full swing lately! I don't think a day has gone by in a week where I am not at least getting 2 calls a day about something. The most persistent ones are the prerecorded Visa account info and zero percent interest rate thing. After listening to it you press 1 and of course a guy comes that you can barely understand. He says congrats, you qualify for a zero percent interest rate. He then reads the first 2 numbers, usually 4-5 then want you to tell him the rest of your numbers. :lol:

I said hold on, I have to grab my card. I let a few seconds pass then starting by saying, 4, 5 F, U, C, then he hung up.

Read recently where these scammers have bilked over $15 millions dollars in the CRA scam from over 400 CDN's. No wonder they keep doing what they do! :sad:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, irv said:

Seems like the scammers are in full swing lately! I don't think a day has gone by in a week where I am not at least getting 2 calls a day about something. The most persistent ones are the prerecorded Visa account info and zero percent interest rate thing. After listening to it you press 1 and of course a guy comes that you can barely understand. He says congrats, you qualify for a zero percent interest rate. He then reads the first 2 numbers, usually 4-5 then want you to tell him the rest of your numbers. :lol:

I said hold on, I have to grab my card. I let a few seconds pass then starting by saying, 4, 5 F, U, C, then he hung up.

Read recently where these scammers have bilked over $15 millions dollars in the CRA scam from over 400 CDN's. No wonder they keep doing what they do! :sad:

And that's whats really shitty. I have a mother who's 82 and she's getting these calls all the time. She still has her wits about her so she can spot the scam but sometimes she will call me and say that "they were very convincing".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And that's whats really shitty. I have a mother who's 82 and she's getting these calls all the time. She still has her wits about her so she can spot the scam but sometimes she will call me and say that "they were very convincing".

My mother gets this shit all the time. Last time the guy showed up to her house he tried to tell her she needed new venting for her water tank. It was an old steel vented tank into a chimney said she needed new Schedule 40 636. I said great give a quote. called the company threatened to call TSSA on them. They took her off the list so far. 

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, 02sled said:

Don't let them near the furnace. Someone cleaning ducts hasn't any need to open up the furnace itself.

As soon as they inspect any part of the HVAC system they are legally responsible for the integrity. Bastards

Link to post
Share on other sites

2010 F150 listed on kijiji.

nice truck, but a few issues, reasonable price,

getting a ton of calls/inquiries from Windsor area for lowest as is price.

they want to come buy it sight unseen, as is. some of them are even pushy about it..

something doesn't seem right.

is it a scam or are they just flipping them in the states for more money?

cant figure out how it would be a scam and why they are all coming from Windsor area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JJL said:

2010 F150 listed on kijiji.

nice truck, but a few issues, reasonable price,

getting a ton of calls/inquiries from Windsor area for lowest as is price.

they want to come buy it sight unseen, as is. some of them are even pushy about it..

something doesn't seem right.

is it a scam or are they just flipping them in the states for more money?

cant figure out how it would be a scam and why they are all coming from Windsor area.

With a 32% exchange could very well be, what would you care though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, irv said:

Seems like the scammers are in full swing lately! I don't think a day has gone by in a week where I am not at least getting 2 calls a day about something. The most persistent ones are the prerecorded Visa account info and zero percent interest rate thing. After listening to it you press 1 and of course a guy comes that you can barely understand. He says congrats, you qualify for a zero percent interest rate. He then reads the first 2 numbers, usually 4-5 then want you to tell him the rest of your numbers. :lol:

I said hold on, I have to grab my card. I let a few seconds pass then starting by saying, 4, 5 F, U, C, then he hung up.

Read recently where these scammers have bilked over $15 millions dollars in the CRA scam from over 400 CDN's. No wonder they keep doing what they do! :sad:

I had a Microsoft call a few days back. I'm calling from Microsoft, we have detected a problem with your computer. Are you the owner of the computer? Which one? How many do you have? 5 What do you do with 5 computers. What do you think... I compute things. Why do you have so many? I'm a techy. What do you do? IT consultant. I have to hang up now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

My mother gets this shit all the time. Last time the guy showed up to her house he tried to tell her she needed new venting for her water tank. It was an old steel vented tank into a chimney said she needed new Schedule 40 636. I said great give a quote. called the company threatened to call TSSA on them. They took her off the list so far. 

As soon as they inspect any part of the HVAC system they are legally responsible for the integrity. Bastards

Still my house my furnace. I don't care what they say they aren't opening up the furnace. Go ahead and try. 911 to have them forcibly removed if necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

With a 32% exchange could very well be, what would you care though?

exactly... they hand you cash and you're happy right. No cheques, no bank drafts, cash only

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Still my house my furnace. I don't care what they say they aren't opening up the furnace. Go ahead and try. 911 to have them forcibly removed if necessary.

they redtag you and shut off the gas tough guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

With a 32% exchange could very well be, what would you care though?

if they are doing that, I do not care. I just care if it is a scam.

I get what I want for it, they make some more off it flipping it, good for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 02sled said:

exactly... they hand you cash and you're happy right. No cheques, no bank drafts, cash only

I will be happy if that is all it is.

just seems too good to be true.

but I cannot figure out how it could be a scam or what the scam would be. wondered if anyone else had heard of anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And that's whats really shitty. I have a mother who's 82 and she's getting these calls all the time. She still has her wits about her so she can spot the scam but sometimes she will call me and say that "they were very convincing".

My Mother got sucked into the Microsoft scam but luckily my Niece dropped by for a visit right in the middle of things. My Father was telling her to hang up before my niece arrived but after 50 yrs of marriage, we know how that usually goes. :lol:Needless to say my niece convinced her but she had to have her computer all reworked as they already did some damage to it. My Father is 79 and, like your Mother, still has his shit together as well, thankfully!

53 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

they redtag you and shut off the gas tough guy.

Only if you allow them to look at it. That is the mistake most make. Once their in, you are doomed. Duct cleaners don't need in your furnace, period. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JJL said:

if they are doing that, I do not care. I just care if it is a scam.

I get what I want for it, they make some more off it flipping it, good for them.

If they are giving you cash, ensure it is legit and also, go with them to the Ministry to ensure everything is turned over/signed as required. Ask me how I know! Even though you have signed the ownership they still have to do their part as well but if they don't, the truck will still be in your name so you can/will be liable for anything that happens.

A friend was charged thousands for a Utility pole the buyer took out with her car that he purchased from her, and this was over a year later. The guy never switched/signed anything over and was driving around a car that was technically still owned by her. Luckily she had all the receipts/sigs on a piece of paper when she sold the car to him or she would have been screwed bigtime! Times have changed, we can no longer trust anyone will do the right thing and get the vehicle switched over in their name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

they redtag you and shut off the gas tough guy.

So how can they if they haven't seen inside the furnace. All they have done is stick a vacuum down a duct.

32 minutes ago, irv said:

My Mother got sucked into the Microsoft scam but luckily my Niece dropped by for a visit right in the middle of things. My Father was telling her to hang up before my niece arrived but after 50 yrs of marriage, we know how that usually goes. :lol:Needless to say my niece convinced her but she had to have her computer all reworked as they already did some damage to it. My Father is 79 and, like your Mother, still has his shit together as well, thankfully!

Only if you allow them to look at it. That is the mistake most make. Once their in, you are doomed. Duct cleaners don't need in your furnace, period. 

Exactly. If they open up your furnace yes but if they don't get in it, it would be like standing outside and saying you have a problem with your furnace.

 

28 minutes ago, irv said:

If they are giving you cash, ensure it is legit and also, go with them to the Ministry to ensure everything is turned over/signed as required. Ask me how I know! Even though you have signed the ownership they still have to do their part as well but if they don't, the truck will still be in your name so you can/will be liable for anything that happens.

A friend was charged thousands for a Utility pole the buyer took out with her car that he purchased from her, and this was over a year later. The guy never switched/signed anything over and was driving around a car that was technically still owned by her. Luckily she had all the receipts/sigs on a piece of paper when she sold the car to him or she would have been screwed bigtime! Times have changed, we can no longer trust anyone will do the right thing and get the vehicle switched over in their name.

I read an article recently where someone sold a vehicle, didn't go to the MTO to change it over with the new owner and got hit for 1000's in 407 tolls. They couldn't renew their plates for any of their vehicles until it was paid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 02sled said:

So how can they if they haven't seen inside the furnace. All they have done is stick a vacuum down a duct.

Exactly. If they open up your furnace yes but if they don't get in it, it would be like standing outside and saying you have a problem with your furnace.

 

I read an article recently where someone sold a vehicle, didn't go to the MTO to change it over with the new owner and got hit for 1000's in 407 tolls. They couldn't renew their plates for any of their vehicles until it was paid.

Why would anyone leave their plates on with new owners?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Why would anyone leave their plates on with new owners?

some people do sell their cars with plates, not sure why you would let someone just drive off though.

Its an 02 story so it will be full of holes :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

some people do sell their cars with plates, not sure why you would let someone just drive off though.

Its an 02 story so it will be full of holes :lol: 

Hello?  Your plate is registered to you even when you sell your car.:lol:

Remove them, problem solved.:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Hello?  Your plate is registered to you even when you sell your car.:lol:

Remove them, problem solved.:lol:

Agree, but a ton of people do, which is retarded. Especially trailer plates. My buddy still gets the odd ETR bill from a trailer he sold with the plates on....stupid..lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

That is interesting about sleds and boats the License Plate/Number goes with the vehicle

when you sell a sled do you go to Ontario Services and change it over :dunno:

I let someone else sell it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, irv said:

 

20 hours ago, irv said:

Only if you allow them to look at it. That is the mistake most make. Once their in, you are doomed. Duct cleaners don't need in your furnace, period. 

 

20 hours ago, 02sled said:

So how can they if they haven't seen inside the furnace. All they have done is stick a vacuum down a duct.

 

it is their legal responsibility to look over your equipment. Its my business, I know what im talking about

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

 

 

it is their legal responsibility to look over your equipment. Its my business, I know what im talking about

Duct cleaners? It is none of their business, but I guess I missed something in this thread? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Trying to pay the bills, lol




×
×
  • Create New...