Check your account email address ×

Daughter Wants to Buy a Sled

• Platinum Contributing Member

So it turns out my daughters roommate at NMU and her boyfriend have sleds and the boyfriends family have a camp not too far from campus and they really want Sarah to ride with them on the weekends. She has her college expenses covered and would pay for the sled with her own money...she also has another friend from HS that attends NMU and lives in a house in Gwinn and offered to help her pick the sled up, keep it his house, ect....he rides as well. At first I was against it because of the logistics, the money the inherent problems..ect.....but the more I think about it the more I like the idea as she is up there so she might as well have a hobby that she enjoys and if she has friends to ride with why not? Of course my navel gazing no fun mopey type wife is adamantly against it but that can be worked around. Just curious as to what my fellow sledders/parents think.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Well....I'm all for it but does she understand the expenses involved?

If you dont have a lot of money you gotta be ready to get your hands dirty once in a while.

Also assuming her experience level is low for god's sakes make sure she starts out on and appropriate level sled for her skill......something like a TNT 600 or 500SS should work for a smallish sized girl new to the sport!!!111

:lol::bigfinger:

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So it turns out my daughters roommate at NMU and her boyfriend have sleds and the boyfriends family have a camp not too far from campus and they really want Sarah to ride with them on the weekends. She has her college expenses covered and would pay for the sled with her own money...she also has another friend from HS that attends NMU and lives in a house in Gwinn and offered to help her pick the sled up, keep it his house, ect....he rides as well. At first I was against it because of the logistics, the money the inherent problems..ect.....but the more I think about it the more I like the idea as she is up there so she might as well have a hobby that she enjoys and if she has friends to ride with why not? Of course my navel gazing no fun mopey type wife is adamantly against it but that can be worked around. Just curious as to what my fellow sledders/parents think.

if my daughter was interested id encourage her. Why not?

However I would be nervous cause we all know how some sledders can be.

Your wife sounds like mine lol

has she ever ridden before.  I have to say riding with my kids kind of stressful,  TBH i don't really worry too much about him but i do worry about others.  best thing that prob happened to him was hitting a tree in 8th grade a mile into the days ride he keeps it slow in the corners now. 

If she has experience and people to ride with i think it's a good thing for her to do,  if she doesn't have experience i think i would go up and ride with her for a few days and then leave her a sled if i felt comfortable.  With your experience buying and selling pick her up something you can flip for not a big loss if she doesn't take to it.  I have bought my son 2 sleds that way,  will sell the second one after winter break that i bought for him last year.  first one i made a few bucks even after giving woolies nephew a deal this one should cost me 5-700.  

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

has she ever ridden before.  I have to say riding with my kids kind of stressful,  TBH i don't really worry too much about him but i do worry about others.  best thing that prob happened to him was hitting a tree in 8th grade a mile into the days ride he keeps it slow in the corners now. 

If she has experience and people to ride with i think it's a good thing for her to do,  if she doesn't have experience i think i would go up and ride with her for a few days and then leave her a sled if i felt comfortable.  With your experience buying and selling pick her up something you can flip for not a big loss if she doesn't take to it.  I have bought my son 2 sleds that way,  will sell the second one after winter break that i bought for him last year.  first one i made a few bucks even after giving woolies nephew a deal this one should cost me 5-700.  

Good advice, x2

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well....I'm all for it but does she understand the expenses involved?

If you dont have a lot of money you gotta be ready to get your hands dirty once in a while.

Also assuming her experience level is low for god's sakes make sure she starts out on and appropriate level sled for her skill......something like a TNT 600 or 500SS should work for a smallish sized girl new to the sport!!!111

Exactly what I got for the ex a couple seasons ago. Probably sell it once there's snow on the ground

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Exactly what I got for the ex a couple seasons ago. Probably sell it once there's snow on the ground

Yes.....600 class sleds are perfect for new girls getting into the sport!!!11++

I'd say find her a snocross sled as the power level and top speed are appropriate for new riders but them fucking piles of shit are always breaking so no on that!!!111

Edited by f7ben
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes.....600 class sleds are perfect for new girls getting into the sport!!!11++

I'd say find her a snocross sled as the power level and top speed are appropriate for new riders but them fucking piles of shit are always breaking so no on that!!!111

The Carb’d TNT is more like a 500 class sled. 

What is her budget Jim?

I would think you could find a decent play sled for $3000. Maybe a newer Indy 600. Maybe a Rev 600. Even a Rev 550f would be a fun sled for her. 

20 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

i bought my son a 600 etec tnt last winter.  TNT are perfect kid/new rider sleds as if your primary machine breaks down it is fine for trips with the guys as well.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i bought my son a 600 etec tnt last winter.  TNT are perfect kid/new rider sleds as if your primary machine breaks down it is fine for trips with the guys as well.  

The etec TNT is a great sled for a beginner adult. Easy to drive, easy to stop, light throttle pull. 

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Yep, the only reason for me to keep it is for a back up sled or more likely to have friends who don't own anymore to use it. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

The etec TNT is a great sled for a beginner adult. Easy to drive, easy to stop, light throttle pull. 

i grabbed it from him about 70 miles into our first day just to see how it went and it impressed me.  I have 30k miles on xp/xs sleds but that was actually the first time i was ever on a shorty and the thing rode and handled awesome and the power was perfect.  it's got a studded 1' ripsaw on it so wouldn''t want it in loose snow but that trip we had very little of that.  

Ok...do you guys have all the 500ss jokes out of your systems yet...fuckers!!🤣🤣😝😝

I’ve been telling her that things will break and it isn’t a cheap sport but she won’t quit bugging me. The good thing is that the kid with the house in Gwinn is a redneck gear head type so I’m sure he would help her out....I just started perusing CL and found this....

https://up.craigslist.org/snw/d/2011-polaris-iq-shift-600/6725902534.html

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Poor Jimmy.  :lmao:

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Barney or injected IQ600's might be the best value in the low price sled market at least out here,  i bought my sons XP because i know them real well and they resell well but there were better deals on Barney 600's and IQ600's  

Astonishing deals out there on 600 sleds.  Granted, they aren’t lake or rail bed racers but, a properly set up 600 is a great sled.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ok...do you guys have all the 500ss jokes out of your systems yet...fuckers!!🤣🤣😝😝

I’ve been telling her that things will break and it isn’t a cheap sport but she won’t quit bugging me. The good thing is that the kid with the house in Gwinn is a redneck gear head type so I’m sure he would help her out....I just started perusing CL and found this....

i think by 11 all the shifts were the CFI 600 so that would be a good sled,  tracks been upgraded.  i'd stud it for my kid even though I would ride it personally without.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Poor Jimmy.  :lmao:

Astonishing deals out there on 600 sleds.  Granted, they aren’t lake or rail bed racers but, a properly set up 600 is a great sled.

Whoa,whoa...settle down Ricky 600 Racer.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i think by 11 all the shifts were the CFI 600 so that would be a good sled,  tracks been upgraded.  i'd stud it for my kid even though I would ride it personally without.  

More HP than my sled.😝🤣

38 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

if my daughter was interested id encourage her. Why not?

However I would be nervous cause we all know how some sledders can be.

Your wife sounds like mine lol

We were talking about it last weekend and my wife is bringing up the little Jag I bought for her and how she didn’t like it blah,blah,blah....I’m like WTF she was 10 years old! 🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep, thats a decent sled and it looks to be in very good shape. Studs and carbides and that would be a safe and reliable sled for her. 

Shocks suck but other than that its a good sled. 

2 minutes ago, Tinker said:

I'd start off on an old school sit down style sled, if she tips that over she'll fn barrel roll a rider forward sled

i would not wish a sit down style sled on my worse enemy.  fuck that buy sommethign that has a good suspension and is comfortable