Check your account email address ×

Going throug old PM's on HCS

ckf

I was going through my old PM's on HCS and cam across this one from rob that took place in April of 2006. This conversation led to the start of SledNH.com, QuebecRider.com and eventually FS v1.

image.png

Rob

Thanks for the compliment on the OVSC site. It really means a lot coming from you.

HCS..... When TBP started I noticed the site start to evolve in to more of a play ground then a sled site. I'm not saying that I did not enjoy some of the drama myself. For a while it was kind of fun. Most of the kids hung out in the GF and when I didn't want to deal with it I just stayed away.

For some people it takes courage to even make a post in an unfamiler forum. Someone would ask a question and the kids would gang up on them. When that happened many of the HCS members either joined the gang or stopped posting serious snowmobile questions. As the gang grew they were from differnent areas and they visited different State forums. They would then say whatever they wanted whereever they wanted. If they got mad they would go back to their thread and ask the gang to show up. The gang (mostly CM's) knew that they would not get banned. As I said in the CM forum you should not get a free pass just because you were a CM.
I'm not going to say I never pariciated in any of the games. I shared a proxy account ( SOS) with Freedom Rider a few years ago. We did it to get back at a neighboring club that had held an event on our trail system without talking to us fiirst. I know in hindsite it was not the right way to handle the situation. When the proxy accounts were created I told OT it was a mistake. I did enjoy it at first until it got out of hand.

The day OT started to take the site back was a great day. You then stepped up to the plate and changed the settings and allowed CM's to be given a vacation. Things did get better. The only problem was that most of the members here were not part of HCS from the start and have no idea of how things used to be around here. The site is now something different and I don't think it can ever go back to what it was before. That isn't necessarly a bad thing. Rules just have to be enforced in certin areas.

State Forums....That's a tough one. Some of it is just the attiude of members tha frequent the GF acting the same way in the State foums as they do in the GF. Ball Buster comes in to the NH forum last Winter and starts running his mouth. All of the NH regulars jump all over him. In time we got to see that he wasn't all bad. Now most of us enjoy playing around with him. For the outsider looking in they don't really know how to take it. That might cause a member that came in to the thread to ask a question or answer one to decide not to post.

The other issue with the State forums is that you have a lot of snowmobile club officers and voulenteers in there trying to help the sport. Then you get a guy like pathfinder145 (xc-mark IMO) show up and go off on Armand (pathfinder-58). Of course Armand's blood is boiling with everything he does for snowmobiling. The guy takes the time to drive 3 hours south so he can sit on our board and show up for work parties. He fires back and all of us that know Armand jump to his defence. I guess there isn't much that can be done about that because we are all going to try to protect the sport.

Dan..... I'm sure he is a great guy but a lot of us wonder how long it will be before HCS becomes an A/C site. I mean how can you blame the guy it's his lively

John, I agree with everything you said. Many of your points indirectly helped lead to my decision to sell hcs. Of course there was a lot more to it, but I think the tremendous growth was the number one reason that led to so many of the problems. I did my best to keep the state and brand forums clean, but got little help from other mods. All the mods concentrated on the general forums. Even more like that now, no one is moderating the state forums at all.

Yeah, the "gang". That was the final straw for me. I didn't see that coming at all until it was way too late. I made a lot of mistakes along the way. A lot of it was experimentation, and not all of it worked out. But it sure did keep growing, like a cancer at times lol.

I talked to OT after he resigned mod status also.

The OVSC site is a great first step.

One thing I asked OT and I'll ask you is what do you think about the possibility of a NH-only forum next winter. It is something I'm just toying around with now, and please don't mention this to anyone else (except OT). I could put it together, but would need people like you and OT to moderate and basically run it. Give it some thought and get back to me. We have all summer to discuss it. I don't log into HCS everyday now, so please email me instead with your thoughts at robert@hardcoresledder.com

Thanks and keep up the good work,
rob

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I was going through my old PM's on HCS and cam across this one from rob that took place in April of 2006. This conversation led to the start of SledNH.com, QuebecRider.com and eventually FS v1.

image.png

The day after rob moved on I said that I wanted his car. You never came through with my request. 

7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The day after rob moved on I said that I wanted his car. You never came through with my request. 

I don't remember you mentioning that. Had I known I would have contacted the Executor of his estate for you. That was a pretty tough time for me and I wasn't firing on all cylinders. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Ot was admin on the first fs.

rob removed OT's admin power on FS v1 because of how he treated @SnowRider  I'm not sure if you guys were ever told that or not :dunno:

Just now, ckf said:

I don't remember you mentioning that. Had I known I would have contacted the Executor of his estate for you. That was a pretty tough time for me and I wasn't firing on all cylinders. Sorry.

I didn’t want to buy. I wanted you to find a way for it to be given to me. I know rob would’ve wanted it that way. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

rob removed OT's admin power on FS v1 because of how he treated @SnowRider  I'm not sure if you guys were ever told that or not :dunno:

Huh?  I don't remember SnowRider being around back then?

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I didn’t want to buy. I wanted you to find a way for it to be given to me. I know rob would’ve wanted it that way. 

I'm pretty sure his entire estate ended up going to cancer research and the ASPCA or another charity for dogs :bc:

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Thanks for posting that ckf.

Rob was a great guy. I miss shooting him a PM once and a while.

Tell me about it. First ting I did every day was to read and reply to the email that he sent me before I got up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ckf said:

He did some shitty things to Frankie as well.

14 minutes ago, DAVE said:

He did some shitty things to Frankie as well.

True.

I just remembered that OT was stripped of his power before the @SnowRider thing. It was because he deleted someone's post or a thread. I can't remember exactly. His member title was still Admin, but rob removed all of his moderating power. rob removed him from the admin group after SR.

Just now, ckf said:

True.

I just remembered that OT was stripped of his power before the @SnowRider thing. It was because he deleted someone's post or a thread. I can't remember exactly. His member title was still Admin, but rob removed all of his moderating power. rob removed him from the admin group after SR.

Phew!!!!

We wouldnt want slope thinking he had any pull.

:lol2:

:bc:

Just now, DAVE said:

Phew!!!!

We wouldnt want slope thinking he had any pull.

:lol2:

:bc:

rob did remove OT from the Admin group because of how he treated SR. He didn't think a rep of the site should treat members that way.