Check your account email address ×

Do you like military jets?

23 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

.y wife's grandpa was shot down over a ss training camp and tgey took pop shots  at him as he floated down .

they took him full of holes to a pow holding camp .there a doctor pow from Russia operated on him on a picnic table . her gramp could  speek Serbian so they could sort of communicate. he spent 34 months as a pow in Germany 

Gramps went in at 250 and came out at 97 lbs. My uncle had to carry him as he was too weak to walk. I heard some stories, but none of them were good.

29 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Gramps went in at 250 and came out at 97 lbs. My uncle had to carry him as he was too weak to walk. I heard some stories, but none of them were good.

same thing with my uncle. never gained weight ever again. sad

28 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Germany was the fucking Hilton compared to having to be a pow in Japan 

not quite but some of those guys were inhuman

• Platinum Contributing Member
34 minutes ago, Edmo said:

33 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Germany was the fucking Hilton compared to having to be a pow in Japan 

3 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

same thing with my uncle. never gained weight ever again. sad

not quite but some of those guys were inhuman

From what I've read The Japanese were pretty fucked up when it came to the treatment of POWs.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot my whole childhood all the way through young adulthood. I met with a recruiter for the AF at 17 and he said to me

"Son , you are too tall to fly a fighter.....we can get you up as an engineer if you wanna fly"

That was the end of that dream 

5 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

My son is going to flight school in the fall. Apparently the military comes sniffing around in second year. He told me if he gets the offer he is going. Not sure how I feel about that. 

oooff.......I dont know how I would feel about that either

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

From what I've read The Japanese were pretty fucked up when it came to the treatment of POWs.

Wife’s grandpa had a taste of that. Again, not good. He had the scars to prove it. :flush: 

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Bradley Irish , where was he from Caribu?

Don't remember. Will ask my mother..

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

2 years in a Korean prison camp? He must have been a bad dude. My grandpa spent almost 2 years in a nazi prison camp and barely made it out of there alive. 

NEVER talked about it.

He was regimented till the day he died. Dress right dress.

10 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

We had a fellow that helped on the farm.  He somehow made it through the Bataan march.  That guy refused to even touch any of the 4 wheelers etc with a Ja origin.  He would walk by them and curse.  He rarely talked about that time in the war.  I knew him for quite a few years before I even knew that he was a march survivor.  I have to admit I did see him differently after I did know.  I can't even express how much appreciation I have for someone that did that much sacrifice and lived.  His stories when he did talk were brutal beyond imagination.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

My son is going to flight school in the fall. Apparently the military comes sniffing around in second year. He told me if he gets the offer he is going. Not sure how I feel about that. 

There is a shortage of airline pilots worldwide. Westjet and Air Canada are expanding and due to retirements as well they are always hiring. Could probably go straight from school into AC regional. From there it doesn't take long to get to the mainline.

16 hours ago, xcr700 said:

Dont gots the Facebooks or instagrams.....but that pic is from Wales? Correct? Guy i was in school with a few months ago told me about a place in Wales where the military fly through a canyon and you can literally stand above their flightpath and take pics... extra awesome 

I have done quite a bit of hiking and camping in Wales.  Most of it was done years ago before things became so popular with tourists.  BTW, they have a very cool system that hopefully will remain.  All land is considered public for the purpose of camping etc.

We asked the locals about all the low flying military craft.  They were pretty casual about the whole thing. Their response,  It has always been like this since the war.  We didn't get involved, so it was a good place to test and train.  Seems like they just kept using the area after the war.  We saw some of the old test targets for development of the dam busters/skipping bombs.

It is an interesting area.  They seem almost untouched by modern needs.  "Live life like we always have lived" is an obvious motto.  Nobody seems to mind a good hike either.  Get used to seeing sheep everywhere.

Pronouncing the old place names is a real challenge.  Stock up on spit.😏

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Snake said:

My cousin flew F-16s in the Air Force. His father flew F86s.

AF-F16's are in town.  Air show today and tomorrow.  Man, they are badass when flying in front / over the house.  

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

We had a fellow that helped on the farm.  He somehow made it through the Bataan march.  That guy refused to even touch any of the 4 wheelers etc with a Ja origin.  He would walk by them and curse.  He rarely talked about that time in the war.  I knew him for quite a few years before I even knew that he was a march survivor.  I have to admit I did see him differently after I did know.  I can't even express how much appreciation I have for someone that did that much sacrifice and lived.  His stories when he did talk were brutal beyond imagination.

There is no way any of us can even come close to understanding what these men were put through.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Let him go.  It’ll be the most exciting and interesting time of his life.  The experiences and people he’ll meet will be unmatched throughout the rest of his life.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

There is no way any of us can even come close to understanding what these men were put through.

No shit.  My old man told me some shit about what the Viet Cong did.  Almost sounds made up. Slant eyes are mid evil fucks.  Africans are he same way I think.  Those tribal fucks still eat pieces of their conquered enemies.  Unreal.

5 minutes ago, Zamjabronie said:

Let him go.  It’ll be the most exciting and interesting time of his life.  The experiences and people he’ll meet will be unmatched throughout the rest of his life.

No shit.  My old man told me some shit about what the Viet Cong did.  Almost sounds made up. Slant eyes are mid evil fucks.  Africans are he same way I think.  Those tribal fucks still eat pieces of their conquered enemies.  Unreal.

The Japs did the same shit....ate the livers of executed POWs....fucking savages.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The Japs did the same shit....ate the livers of executed POWs....fucking savages.

Tainted rice for centuries I guess.  Note to self: avoid human and farm animal waste runoff for rice paddies.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, f7ben said:

oooff.......I dont know how I would feel about that either

No its kind of scary but with Canada's military probably never fly as the planes are so old.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, 2strokemerc said:

There is a shortage of airline pilots worldwide. Westjet and Air Canada are expanding and due to retirements as well they are always hiring. Could probably go straight from school into AC regional. From there it doesn't take long to get to the mainline.

Im encouraging him to go to ASIA for some years make serious cash and then come here again

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Zamjabronie said:

He will be 18 so its his decision. Im betting he will go and will break my wifes heart. Will see

On 7/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, Jimmy Snacks said:

I know it sounds stupid but watching Top Gun in the theater when I was 18 was badass. :lol:

Fighter Jets and Military Aviation in generalist very cool...WW2 fighters in particular....Hurricanes, Spitfires, P51's, Corsairs, P38's..etc....

My senior year in HS was when Top Gun came out.   I was being recruited by the Navy to play baseball.   I so bad wanted to fly jets off aircraft carriers but my grades and behavior didn't make the cut.  :lol:  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

My senior year in HS was when Top Gun came out.   I was being recruited by the Navy to play baseball.   I so bad wanted to fly jets off aircraft carriers but my grades and behavior didn't make the cut.  :lol:  

No kidding....yeah those academies are sticklers for that stuff. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

No kidding....yeah those academies are sticklers for that stuff. :lol:

My grades were solid just not Naval Academy solid. :lol:  

• Like 1