Check your account email address ×

In remembrance of our fallen heroes..

I always thought that giving the next of kin a flag was honorable and a moving thing.

I also think it should be reserved just for our military.

But I see some police and even fireman's next of kin now get one.

Also I don't look at the police as military or as anything but civilians themselves.

I think when they call everyone else a civilian it just makes the us vs them attitude worse among some.

Comments?

Edited by Capt.Storm

You're not wrong.  It comes to the word "Hero" being thrown around in our now society of "everyone is a winner, here's your participation medal/trophy".  I think the bar has been set so low as anybody that wears anything resembling a uniform is a "hero" and deserves all the "frills" that were once reserved for the few that were truly exceptional.  I also think anybody caught doing anything that a normal a decent citizen used to do is called a "hero".  It's disgusting.  And as far as the first responding group calling the rest of us civilians, well...I kinda get that.  They've taken a job that requires a different code than the rest of us.  So, I guess I buy that.  But to me, it stems from the wanton few who were unable or unwilling to "sign on the line that is dotted" to enter the military service. And while I don't consider our servicemen "heros" in every context in which they are now mentioned, I respect the fact that it takes some moxie to essentially sign your rights away for "3, 4 or 5" years.  That deserves some credit...some more, some less depending on the circumstances.

I could go on and on here as this type of shit really "gets my goat".  But....Cappy hates my long posts.  :lmao:

11 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

Z -I don't hate!

Good post btw..imo.

Are not the police civil service  employees?

If so they are then they are employees of us civilians...correct?

Yes they are.  And by that right, so is our government who in turn is our military.  So they are all technically "civil servants".  Every person who gets a check though the US government is a civil servant.  I'd like to say I do not know how we've gotten away from that, but I do.

5 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

A also think the vets deserve better services/treatment when they get out-retire from service.  

It's shameful sometimes what I read.

Yes, it is.  But it depends on what you are reading too (the source).  These people signed up for a job that could turn out to be hazardous (and deadly) and they knew the risks.  I am not a fan of all the crying and whining that takes place after it goes the way none of us hope.  Yes, some deserve treatment above and beyond but for the rest, suck it up and have some gad damn integrity and pride.  Some may call that tough love...I just call it tough shit.  Now, that is undoubtedly going to catch some of you the wrong way, but life is hard. Sometimes it is really hard.  And if it makes any of you feel any better about my statement, and as much as I'd like to leave it and just "bait you", I have experience in the matters.  So, don't start wrapping yourself in the flag just yet if you plan on ridiculing me for my opinion.    

I know what you're saying Z but I'm speaking in general for the most part..or maybe even the best of the best.

I find this line interesting that you wrote:

I respect the fact that it takes some moxie to essentially sign your rights away for "3, 4 or 5" years

The police don't do that.

In effect they are really just civilians imo.

Edited by Capt.Storm

34 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You're not wrong.  It comes to the word "Hero" being thrown around in our now society of "everyone is a winner, here's your participation medal/trophy".  I think the bar has been set so low as anybody that wears anything resembling a uniform is a "hero" and deserves all the "frills" that were once reserved for the few that were truly exceptional.  I also think anybody caught doing anything that a normal a decent citizen used to do is called a "hero".  It's disgusting.  And as far as the first responding group calling the rest of us civilians, well...I kinda get that.  They've taken a job that requires a different code than the rest of us.  So, I guess I buy that.  But to me, it stems from the wanton few who were unable or unwilling to "sign on the line that is dotted" to enter the military service. And while I don't consider our servicemen "heros" in every context in which they are now mentioned, I respect the fact that it takes some moxie to essentially sign your rights away for "3, 4 or 5" years.  That deserves some credit...some more, some less depending on the circumstances.

I could go on and on here as this type of shit really "gets my goat".  But....Cappy hates my long posts.  :lmao:

I hate them too! :)

59 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

What is your experience?

Both military and civilian contracting.

58 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

I know what you're saying Z but I'm speaking in general for the most part..or maybe even the best of the best.

I find this line interesting that you wrote:

I respect the fact that it takes some moxie to essentially sign your rights away for "3, 4 or 5" years

The police don't do that.

In effect they are really just civilians imo.

AGREED.  If you can quit at any time...it's just a job.  I'd hardly call it a "heroic commitment".

Edited by Zambroski

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

AGREED.  If you can quite at any time...it's just a job.  I'd hardly call it a "heroic commitment".

So not active duty military that saw combat....correct?

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

AGREED.  If you can quite at any time...it's just a job.  I'd hardly call it a "heroic commitment".

Holy fawk somebody agreed with me!

You're smarter then the avg redneck my friend! grgrin.gif

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

Another thing that bugs me is the catch phrase: "thank you for your service" or "sorry for your loss" as if you can't come up with something on your own..oh well. 

Political correctness....

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Incorrect.  I find it weird you would assume that.  :dunno:

I misread your post about military AND civilian contracting and all I'm trying to do is get perspective on why you seem to be lecturing people on this topic.

Lost in time;

As I am getting older I would like to find out more about my father and my uncle when they were both in WWII. When my father died all the information was lost about their time in the service. What I do know I was named after my uncle who was shot out of the ski in WWII and my dad was on a Navy destroyer. That's all I know when dad died I was to young or to dumb to ask.

Any ides to get the ball rolling please pm me. :bc:   

I've posted this video in the past and in honor of Memorial Day and to honor one of my best friends who lost his life in Afghanistan...RIP Doug.

8 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I misread your post about military AND civilian contracting and all I'm trying to do is get perspective on why you seem to be lecturing people on this topic.

Not lecturing.  Just throwing out my opinion. It can be too harsh for some.

5 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Lost in time;

As I am getting older I would like to find out more about my father and my uncle when they were both in WWII. When my father died all the information was lost about their time in the service. What I do know I was named after my uncle who was shot out of the ski in WWII and my dad was on a Navy destroyer. That's all I know when dad died I was to young or to dumb to ask.

Any ides to get the ball rolling please pm me. :bc:   

Here man, try this.  I'm not real sure how you'd proceed but I know you cannot be the only one trying to find things like this out.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/other-request-methods.html

• Like 1

I find these topics hilarious ...... when people seem to be concerned that people who. Have served the country in any capacity are getting too much glory.

Look at the way the country swoons over these asshole Hollywood people and athletes.   Award shows every week!

Yet no one complains whether they are worthy.