Check your account email address ×

The first layoffs from Trump’s tariffs are here

17 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm all for more American industry and have supported  US industry with my pocketbook since I became a consumer, the problem with Trump's bombastic methods is that he is making everyone an enemy at one time, and this country for all of it's great strength simply can't be taking on the whole world at one time

And what business experience do you have?

I have a little business experience and I'm going to clue you into manufacturing acronym call JIT (just in time manufacturing) and I'm familiar with it in the real world that I do business in, and yes in today's business world a manufacturing concern can go tits up in a heart beat.

The time for limp wristed policy has come and gone. This is the wake up call the rest of the world needed. No more taking advantage of us at every turn. I wish there was a more diplomatic approach but in the end its going to take a big dumb hammer and Trump is suited for that role 

15 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm all for more American industry and have supported  US industry with my pocketbook since I became a consumer, the problem with Trump's bombastic methods is that he is making everyone an enemy at one time, and this country for all of it's great strength simply can't be taking on the whole world at one time

And what business experience do you have?

I have a little business experience and I'm going to clue you into manufacturing acronym call JIT (just in time manufacturing) and I'm familiar with it in the real world that I do business in, and yes in today's business world a manufacturing concern can go tits up in a heart beat.

Yes I know what JIT is Vince.. This firm with 50% of the us production of nails did not go belly up from unrealized tariff price hikes. I also can guarantee that the raw material going into nails wasn't ordered two weeks ago. And I can also guarantee that their realized tax benefit from 6 months prior more than offset the increased costs of the last two weeks. They aren’t a make to order shop. Their raw materials are batched stock. They didn’t lose 30% sales in two weeks time. You know this story stinks. I’m also the director of ops for a printing company as far as my resume. I don’t have your time in the game, but we can both agree something doesn’t add up. 

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Yes I know what JIT is Vince.. This firm with 50% of the us production of nails did not go belly up from unrealized tariff price hikes. I also can guarantee that the raw material going into nails wasn't ordered two weeks ago. And I can also guarantee that their realized tax benefit from 6 months prior more than offset the increased costs of the last two weeks. They aren’t a make to order shop. Their raw materials are batched stock. They didn’t lose 30% sales in two weeks time. You know this story stinks. I’m also the director of ops for a printing company as far as my resume. I don’t have your time in the game, but we can both agree something doesn’t add up. 

You are so fucking diplomatic and hot......its giving me a bonus !!!!!!!11111

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm seeing stage two inceases.

Are you a maintenance man or a purchasing agent? I'll digress and just post up reality, as reality is where I reside.

http://www.phoenixforge.com/PriceAnnouncement/July 2018 List Price Sheet Increases - Capitol Manufacturing ,,[3].pdf

2 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It's the nail business, it's not real sophisticated, price increases can hurt and hurt fast.

I have to pay attention to commodities pricing, we bid projects months out that have millions of dollars in steel being used, not paying attention to where the market is going is could be a disaster.

I've seen the price increases first hand, I've posted up public links where companies have posted there increases, trust me there are more coming, it's my business to know that :bc:

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

It's the nail business, it's not real sophisticated, price increases can hurt and hurt fast.

I have to pay attention to commodities pricing, we bid projects months out that have millions of dollars in steel being used, not paying attention to where the market is going is could be a disaster.

I've seen the price increases first hand, I've posted up public links where companies have posted there increases, trust me there are more coming, it's my business to know that :bc:

If we were talking months or a year after the fact, I could at least see some merit in having the debate. These tariffs just started. The numbers don’t lie. It’s my business to know that. :bc: This company was failing. Just like Harley used these tariffs to justify a preplanned move overseas, this company is blaming them for poor operations. My 2 cents. Until I see some sort of astronomical cause and effect, I don’t see how a 10% change in raw materials could take the number one nail producer in the country down in two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Yourw full of shit.......you know it and I know it. Every single construction product has been on the rise well before any tariff talk due to a booming economy and demand. Do you bitch like a fucking girl when the economy heats up and prices of materials rise due to supply and demand? Fuck no you dont.

Steel has been rising in spot pricing for 3 years or more........I didnt hear your gash bleeding then

6 hours ago, f7ben said:

Yourw full of shit.......you know it and I know it. Every single construction product has been on the rise well before any tariff talk due to a booming economy and demand. Do you bitch like a fucking girl when the economy heats up and prices of materials rise due to supply and demand? Fuck no you dont.

Steel has been rising in spot pricing for 3 years or more........I didnt hear your gash bleeding then

You're calling me liar, when all I have done is posted fact and backed it up links to companies that are posting there price increases on the web, I have zero reason to lie about what is going on with steel pricing in my business.

I don't appreciate being called a liar and while I can get real rude and demeaning with you I won't, instead I am done you and your misinformed posts on this subject, have a nice day.

14 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

You're calling me liar, when all I have done is posted fact and backed it up links to companies that are posting there price increases on the web, I have zero reason to lie about what is going on with steel pricing in my business.

I don't appreciate being called a liar and while I can get real rude and demeaning with you I won't, instead I am done you and your misinformed posts on this subject, have a nice day.

Poor Poor s-l200.jpg

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Initially xtraBS knew the negative side effects of these tariffs and wasn’t a fan. But look at him now, defending every one of them as they pop up. :lol:

:lies: 

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Ben too.

More :lies: 

36 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Ben too.

no he did not. ben is a dumb ass, who only cares about himself. he doesn't give a shit if others lose their jobs, as long as he believes his industry thrives a little more than it was.

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Lumber prices are higher than their housing bubble highs

http://www.businessinsider.com/lumber-prices-higher-than-housing-bubble-highs-2018-6

But nails cant handle a price increase?

Nails can be made anywhere and I would expect there are many sources for them outside the US that are cheaper.

How many sources for cheaper lumber are there?

This isn’t that complicated....

:lmao:

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

So let me ask this question since Vince doesn’t seem to want to take anything more than a surface dive on these topics... Canadian Steel was what? 10-15% cheaper on average? So with a 25% tariff they were only paying 10-15% more until they reached the next best thing being US steel prices? So a 10% increase in costs shut their sales down 30% over the year in two weeks? That doesn’t sound like BS? This company is going under after two weeks of tariffs that haven’t even taken effect on their supply yet? Oh really? Did they not have any WIP or raw material inventory? They blew through that in what? A day? So much so that it caused their sales to dip so violently that it ripped their average down 30%? 

I know it sucks having to use common sense and basic math, but this story is complete bullshit fabrication at best. The company was failing well before this tariff if you look at the pure hard and fast numbers. NOT TO MENTION this company actually had negative sales in a construction boom... selling nails. Total bs. 

Ding ding ding....we have a common sense winner.

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Ding ding ding....we have a common sense winner.

That XLT feller  did himself a lot of learnin at that there librul skool dere in Madisun. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

That XLT feller  did himself a lot of learnin at that there librul skool dere in Madisun. 

Kind of surprising.....not that he could learn but they would teach any common sense.  :lol:  

Company leadership always loves a scapegoat when they themselves cause a company to fail. 

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Kind of surprising.....not that he could learn but they would teach any common sense.  :lol:  

Company leadership always loves a scapegoat when they themselves cause a company to fail. 

Pretty sure a guy with his background went into it with a good bullshit radar and a skeptical eye...not like the typical clay minded 18 year old freshman. 

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Pretty sure a guy with his background went into it with a good bullshit radar and a skeptical eye...not like the typical clay minded 18 year old freshman. 

Valid point.  :bc:

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm not calling you a liar......I'm calling you a disingenuous hack and I'm spot on. Demand and the economy have led to the price increases we have seen but we havent heard a peep out of you over it for the last 18 months or so that steel has been on the rise. Now that the Donald has moved forward with trying to correct trade inequities you have latched on to this bullshit argument that the tariffs are causing massive price increases and the market will suffer for it. 

You are the ill informed one......how about you get back to crying over Harley Davidson???? Or did you get the shit smacked out of you enough over that yesterday.

As for getting real rude and demeaning? Yah.....you have been for quite some time. You dont have the bullets in your gun of wits short stack.....that is a fact

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

no he did not. ben is a dumb ass, who only cares about himself. he doesn't give a shit if others lose their jobs, as long as he believes his industry thrives a little more than it was.

All of this discussing and this is the conclusion you have come to? You are fucking braindead

9 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Steel prices spiked in April. I’m going to guess that this is going to be one of many stories attributed to sticker shock. Tariffs and trade wars never have winners.