Check your account email address ×

The first layoffs from Trump’s tariffs are here

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

Initially xtraBS knew the negative side effects of these tariffs and wasn’t a fan. But look at him now, defending every one of them as they pop up. :lol:

Oh there will be negative impacts. More so for other countries. I feel the added tax benefits will outweigh the tariff impacts. Seeing companies fold up is a bullshit excuse for poorly run companies. If you read anything I wrote in length on the subject you wouldn’t look like a fucking moron incapable of critical thought. You go ahead and leave macro economics to me, I’ll leave partisan bitching to you. It’s where we both thrive. Good deal right?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Steel prices spiked in April. I’m going to guess that this is going to be one of many stories attributed to sticker shock. Tariffs and trade wars never have winners. 

Steel prices were up 100% from Jan 2016 to Jan 2018 .........demand led that price increase and there werent any nail companies going out of business. We get an 8-10% bump up between Jan of this year and now and everyone is going under?????

Use your fucking head 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Steel prices spiked in April. I’m going to guess that this is going to be one of many stories attributed to sticker shock. Tariffs and trade wars never have winners. 

Funny.   I buy over $3 million in raw (tube, flat and bar), laser and machined steel products a year and as of yet have not seen significant increases.  Especially some instant spike due to tariffs or concerns on tariffs.

Edited by Highmark

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That XLT feller  did himself a lot of learnin at that there librul skool dere in Madisun. 

Gud learnt der ya.

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Kind of surprising.....not that he could learn but they would teach any common sense.  :lol:  

Company leadership always loves a scapegoat when they themselves cause a company to fail. 

That’s the key to this. Same with Harley-Davidson. They know that PR is king with publically traded companies. Even the whiff of choosing to overseas operations causes bad PR. They had a perfect scape goat to do what was already in the works. Someone in marketing needs a raise. They piled the wool over the entire media. Anyone with a clue sees through that BS though.

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Gud learnt der ya.

That’s the key to this. Same with Harley-Davidson. They know that PR is king with publically traded companies. Even the whiff of choosing to overseas operations causes bad PR. They had a perfect scape goat to do what was already in the works. Someone in marketing needs a raise. They piled the wool over the entire media. Anyone with a clue sees through that BS though.

That's where you are off, the media know's this and choose to report it with an agenda.  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Funny.   I buy over $3 million in raw (tube, flat and bar), laser and machined steel products a year and as of yet have not seen significant increases.  Especially some instant spike due to tariffs or concerns on tariffs.

HRC was 30% more than it is now in 2008 ........fucks like Vince and Spin delighted when the steel industry was on the brink in 2015. You could buy a ton of HRC for under $400 then and almost all mills were operating at a loss. Only the most efficient mills made a buck then and it was sometimes literally only a buck 

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Gud learnt der ya.

You should go explain this to Dog Dick and Newfie next door...they are all in full cunt mode over this.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Steel prices were up 100% from Jan 2016 to Jan 2018 .........demand led that price increase and there werent any nail companies going out of business. We get an 8-10% bump up between Jan of this year and now and everyone is going under?????

Use your fucking head 

When you are led around by your nose it is hard to remember the most basic of principles always have the most profound impact on price. The principle here is 90% supply and demand. The other 10% is price uncertainty due to trade. If 90% of your price hike is due to supply, it is disingenuous at best to cry about trade based price hikes. Just isn’t the case. It is too early their effect to be the cause. Maybe these journalists should have minored in economics...

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Gud learnt der ya.

So Trump’s tariffs aren’t going to cost Harley $100 million this year?

Huh

Tariff job losses gains according to the article.

-60 to +4700.   Hmmmm more winning.  Funny how Vince concentrates on the 60 lost instead of the net 4630 gained.  :pc:

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

Huh

How much are taxes going to offset that? And I’d like to see their projections over that of you saying $100m will be their additional costs. This is a purely macro conversation that everyone is choosing to have a micro conversation about. It’s just imperially incorrect. 

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Huh

1. You assume Harley will eat 100% of the tariff and not pass at least a portion of it on.

The European tariffs have jumped from 6 percent to 31 percent, the company said. That increase will add $2,200 on average to the cost of each motorcycle sold in the EU and cost the company $90 million to $100 million a year, the filing said.

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

How much are taxes going to offset that? And I’d like to see their projections over that of you saying $100m will be their additional costs. This is a purely macro conversation that everyone is choosing to have a micro conversation about. It’s just imperially incorrect. 

No idea, but the tariffs are going to cost $2200 per bike and Harley has chosen to absorb that cost so the price of their product doesn’t rise in Europe.  Seems like Trump gave them 100 million reasons to finalize their decision to move some production to Europe.

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Tariff job losses gains according to the article.

-60 to +4700.   Hmmmm more winning.  Funny how Vince concentrates on the 60 lost instead of the net 4630 gained.  :pc:

There will not be a net gain due to the tariffs.  History has proven this.

Just now, Highmark said:

1. You assume Harley will eat 100% of the tariff and not pass at least a portion of it on.

The European tariffs have jumped from 6 percent to 31 percent, the company said. That increase will add $2,200 on average to the cost of each motorcycle sold in the EU and cost the company $90 million to $100 million a year, the filing said.

Exactly. It’s shoddy reporting. At the same time, there is a price break where it makes sense to buy US steel. There is not a 31% difference between US and Euro Steel. Maybe 10%. So they would never eat all 31%. They would eat 9% or 9.9% but once it hit over 10% they would just buy US. It’s so blatantly obvious. That’s the point of a tariff. To make our steel more appealing. Lol not just to drive up the cost 31% and pretend like a US company would scoff and say we’d rather pay 31% over 10% in price. Lol wtf. Common sense is dead.

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

As the Zen Master said....."We'll see."   Lots of things will change between now and when this settles out.

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

The tariffs are meant to cause pain to bring people to the table. We are demanding fair trade and a level playing field and if we dont get it economic pain is what will ensue. We have tried to be civil....we have asked for other countries to act fairly......and all we have seen in return is a big fuck you from everyone. We did not ask for this trade war....only to be treated equally

3 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

No idea, but the tariffs are going to cost $2200 per bike and Harley has chosen to absorb that cost so the price of their product doesn’t rise in Europe.  Seems like Trump gave them 100 million reasons to finalize their decision to move some production to Europe.

See my most recent post. $2200 is not an accurate representation. It also assumes price hikes would not be passed on to the finished product and that is also wrong. It’s a luxury good. Will demand fall slightly? Sure. Will most Harley consumers scoff at an extrs few dollars per bike? Nope.

41 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Oh there will be negative impacts. More so for other countries. I feel the added tax benefits will outweigh the tariff impacts. Seeing companies fold up is a bullshit excuse for poorly run companies. If you read anything I wrote in length on the subject you wouldn’t look like a fucking moron incapable of critical thought. You go ahead and leave macro economics to me, I’ll leave partisan bitching to you. It’s where we both thrive. Good deal right?

well thus far, every negative thing that has happened you have defended, saying things like they'd have happened anyway. so which is, ya freaking MAGAt?

50 minutes ago, f7ben said:

All of this discussing and this is the conclusion you have come to? You are fucking braindead

it's not rocket science. creating trade wars is not going to benefit us long term, nor likely short term. history has proven this, and people with alot more knowledge about trade deals than you and the idiot in the WH have optimized things. but you'll defend trump to the bitter end.....

Edited by Snoslinger

12 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

well thus far, every negative thing that has happened you have defended, saying things like they'd have happened anyway. so which is, ya freaking MAGAt?

Jesus, critical reading Slinger. I laid it out for you. I’m not going to hold your hand. If you can’t comprehend the subject matter, go elsewhere. It’s simple economics. The key here is negative impact and their intent. The tariffs are not in place to create a short term win. They are in place to hurt or her countries into negotiations. Look at world markets in China and the EU. Hurts us a little to hurt them a lot. Need me to get out my crayons and draw pictures? You’re better than this. 

51 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Exactly. It’s shoddy reporting. At the same time, there is a price break where it makes sense to buy US steel. There is not a 31% difference between US and Euro Steel. Maybe 10%. So they would never eat all 31%. They would eat 9% or 9.9% but once it hit over 10% they would just buy US. It’s so blatantly obvious. That’s the point of a tariff. To make our steel more appealing. Lol not just to drive up the cost 31% and pretend like a US company would scoff and say we’d rather pay 31% over 10% in price. Lol wtf. Common sense is dead.

what does US or foreign steel have to do with Harleys direct issues.  The cost to them is eating these new tarrifs nothing to do with the cost of steel.  They are tarrifing the bike not the material used to produce the bike.    Certainly they can get some of that absorbed next year into the price but prices currently are set.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

what does US or foreign steel have to do with Harleys direct issues.  The cost to them is eating these new tarrifs nothing to do with the cost of steel.  They are tarrifing the bike not the material used to produce the bike.    Certainly they can get some of that absorbed next year into the price but prices currently are set.  

True, I was still talking about steel prices. My bad.