Check your account email address ×

Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort resigns

When does the bleeding stop?

This election is sad for the Republican Party, the Senate looks to be a gone and the next question is how many seats in the House are lost? Of course the gerrymandering will slow the bloodletting in the House.

Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort resigns

Trump campaign chairman and chief strategist Paul Manafort resigned on Friday, following a staff shake-up this week that reduced his role in the campaign.

GOP nominee Donald Trump confirmed the resignation in a statement Friday morning: “This morning Paul Manafort offered, and I accepted, his resignation from the campaign. I am very appreciative for his great work in helping to get us where we are today, and in particular his work guiding us through the delegate and convention process. Paul is a true professional and I wish him the greatest success.”

Manafort is leaving on good terms with the campaign, and will remain an ally and outside confidant of the campaign, according to a close associate of his who spoke on the condition of anonymity Friday to The Washington Post.

According to conversations late Thursday with Trump aides, Manafort’s departure was expected to come due to the reshuffling of the campaign’s staff earlier in the week, with Stephen K. Bannon being named chief executive and Kellyanne Conway assuming the role of campaign manager.

Manafort has had an easy rapport with both Conway and Bannon in meetings this week but was inclined to leave to give them room to develop and execute their own strategy, the aides said.

Manfort's move took some by surprise because they thought that even though he had been lowered on the staff hierarchy, he would stay on as an adviser. “He didn’t seem like he was going to do it,” said one person familiar with Manafort’s thinking as of Wednesday night. “He said, ‘Look I think I can still help Donald.’”

The resignation comes as the campaign seeks to correct course after weeks of damaging controversies and self-inflicted wounds, effectively evaporating Trump’s steady footing against Clinton in the polls and his post-convention bump. Trump is now trailing Clinton in every major poll.

Manafort had repeatedly signaled to members of the Republican establishment that he and Trump were working together to rebrand the candidate in a more presidential light. But hopes of a so-called “pivot” vanished as the summer wore on and Trump appeared intent on settling scores with former rivals within his own party and critics. Perhaps most damaging was Trump's attack on a Gold Star family – who lost their son, Army Capt. Humayun Khan, while he served in Iraq – for speaking out against him at the Democratic National Convention. He later refused to apologize or express regret.

But aside from Trump’s own missteps, Republican strategists also became increasingly concerned that the campaign, under the direction of Manafort, had failed to build out a robust infrastructure in key battleground states. Though the campaign is relying heavily on the Republican National Committee for its ground game, lackluster efforts by the main campaign have left Trump underprepared for the competitive general election on the ground.

Manafort’s personal business dealings have also come under intense scrutiny in recent weeks, amid damaging questions over his ties to foreign governments and indications that he might have received $12 million in undisclosed cash payments. The alleged payments, which Manafort denied, were noted in a ledger kept by former Ukraine president Viktor Yanukovych's political party. Since then, more evidence has surfaced that raised concerns about his ties to the Kremlin.

One GOP strategist said Manafort was undone by the combination of revelations about his work in behalf of pro-Russian forces in Ukraine and the elevation of Conway and Bannon. “If you had had one of these things happen, it would have been survival able. But you had two of these things in concert,” the strategist said. “One thing I don’t think trump will tolerate is the focus being on someone else rather than himself.”

Manafort’s background finally caught up with him. Friends of Manafort said Friday that it was clear that he was taking a calculated risk by joining Trump’s campaign. “He knows he’s been doing this stuff. It was going to become an issue. He wasn’t prepared to tamp it down. When he decided to reenter high profile American politics, and he ratcheted it up with lots of Sunday shows and TV appearances. He had to know he was putting himself out there as a target.”

Still, Manafort played a key role in trying to reposition Trump for the general election, trying to strike a balance between the volatile and unpredictable Trump of the primaries and a more even-keel candidate many GOP officials and donors hoped to see as he moved toward the general election. “Any semblance of the sort of structured political advice he was going to get from Manafort is going to be gone now,” said one strategist who knows Manafort. “You don’t have a voice in those meetings any longer that has presidential experience.”

Manafort formally joined Trump's campaign in late March to oversee preparations for the Republican convention, which at that point was poised to turn into a battle for delegates. He immediately clashed with Corey Lewandowski, Trump's long-serving campaign manager who had never worked on a presidential campaign. For months, the two scuffled for power and access to Trump.

On May 19, after Trump collected the necessary number of delegates to lock-up the nomination, Trump promoted Manafort to the position of campaign chairman, a clear slight to Lewandowski. One month after that, Trump fired Lewandowski on June 20, clearing Manafort to run the campaign.

The firing followed Trump's controversial comments about the heritage of a judge assigned to a civil case involving Trump University, which many strategists blamed Lewandowski for failing to rein in.

Manafort took a much different approach to running the campaign than Lewandowski had. While Lewandowski and his small band of aides with limited or no presidential campaign experience operated under a motto of "Let Trump Be Trump," Manafort quickly seemed to implement some limits on Trump. Prior to Manafort's arrival, Trump was frequently a guest on the influential Sunday morning news shows that often set the tone for the week, sometimes calling into or appearing on numerous shows the same day. Starting this spring, Trump's appearances became rarer -- and Manafort often appeared in his place.

Jose A. DelReal and Jenna Johnson also contributed to this story.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-campaign-chairman-paul-manafort-resigns/ar-BBvOV0k

• Platinum Contributing Member

As some are going to see this as a black eye on Trump and those few are definitely going to spin it in that direction, I see it as a good thing, and Trump following what he has been saying all along. He is NOT going to stand for the back door, shady, so called "boys club" deals with anyone any longer.

IMO, Manafort was more than likely to given the opportunity to resign or get the old "You're Fired" from Trump. Again Trump standing behind what he has said all along, the shady government back door dealings and pay to play is going to end if he becomes the next POTUS. So some of you go ahead and spin this anyway you want, But I give him props for saying and doing what he did, especially in a crucial time in the election. Fuck, to me it looks like Trump tells the damn truth!!

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

As some are going to see this as a black eye on Trump and those few are definitely going to spin it in that direction, I see it as a good thing, and Trump following what he has been saying all along. He is NOT going to stand for the back door, shady, so called "boys club" deals with anyone any longer.

IMO, Manafort was more than likely to given the opportunity to resign or get the old "You're Fired" from Trump. Again Trump standing behind what he has said all along, the shady government back door dealings and pay to play is going to end if he becomes the next POTUS. So some of you go ahead and spin this anyway you want, But I give him props for saying and doing what he did, especially in a crucial time in the election. Fuck, to me it looks like Trump tells the damn truth!!

Bringing in Stephen Bannon and Kellyanne Conway to run a presidential campaign is like putting in the third string to play the NE Patriots in the Super Bowl, but of course at this juncture all Trump can attract is third stringers.

Excellent spin MP, so whats your opinion on hillary hiring the corrupt DNC chairwoman?? :dunno:

Sloppy seconds??

Edited by Rigid1

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

:goodpost:

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Excellent spin MP, so whats your opinion on hillary hiring the corrupt DNC chairwoman?? :dunno:

Sloppy seconds??

:news:

2 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

He was fired!!! He's a Bob Dole GOP elite. I personally think he's hurt Trump 

:iagree:

30 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

The bleeding from your vag never seems to stop Vince.

He rides a Cat too so...green and red go together nicely.  He must look like fucking Christmas after a few hours on the trail.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Momorider said:

Ballsack is a bigger pile of steaming shit than ever you, you hooknosed FUCK, and who even knew that was possible :bigfinger: 

Making friends again, eh Momo? :lol:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Making friends again, eh Momo? :lol:

And to think this site is Momo's only place in life where there is even an inkling of acceptance, and even then that acceptance comes from a fellow who identifies himself as Sludgy :lol: 

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

And to think this site is Momo's only place in life where there is even an inkling of acceptance, and even then that acceptance comes from a fellow who identifies himself as Sludgy :lol: 

I wouldn't crow too loud Mr. Real Deal considering who your resident fluffer is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggie Smails said:

I wouldn't crow too loud Mr. Real Deal considering who your resident fluffer is.

People here have been to some of my social events Jimmy, a lack of real world friends is something that I truly do not suffer :bc: 

17 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

People here have been to some of my social events Jimmy, a lack of real world friends is something that I truly do not suffer :bc: 

Yeah I know...we have all heard you multiple times.

45 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Inkling of acceptance? I doubt that lol. 

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

:lies:

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

And ughhhhh.....I wish somebody would give him the validation he so craves from members on here before I start to vomit (again).

Not sure why he isn't on TBP most or his ass buddies hang there :dunno:  with the exception of the Nazi Pig Dog