Check your account email address ×

US grain ships diverted at sea hours after China imposes grain tariff

US grain ships diverted at sea hours after China imposes grain tariff

Ships laden with more than 1.2m tonnes of US sorghum bound for China may have no where to go amid the ongoing trade tensions between Beijing and Washington. 

Twenty ships carrying more than $216m worth of sorghum were at sea on Friday, according to Reuters, but least five of them had changed course within hours of China’s announcement this week that it would place stiff tariffs on the grain. 

On Tuesday, Beijing said US importers had been dumping the grain, used for animal feed as well as China’s traditional baijiu liquor, on the Chinese market and harming Chinese farmers. 

China’s ministry of commerce said it would begin requiring deposits of 178.6% of the value of grain shipments. The five diverted sorghum ships, all loaded in Texas, would have had to pay that deposit, rendering their shipments unprofitable, Reuters reported. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/20/us-sorghum-fleet-china-grain-tariff-trade 

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

216 million dollars pulled from farmers who supported the fuckin moron. 

Fucking Up America

good let them grow there own shit .you noticed your head line was bull shit again right ? 

go back and read the ships diverted after announcement of stiff tariffs . it was the exporters option to turn around and say ok we will sell it to some one else. 

let the China men attempt to feed all there people on there own .I know sure shit I can lived with out there total  junk products .

• Platinum Contributing Member

Nobody said that there  wouldn’t be growing pains during this and it’s about time somebody took action against the chinks and you are only bitching because it’s Trump so go lay down.

23 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

216 million dollars pulled from farmers who supported the fuckin moron. 

Fucking Up America

:lol:   Pulled from farmers.  :lol:   

They had been paid for that long, long ago.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:   Pulled from farmers.  :lol:   

They had been paid for that long, long ago.    

but that dose not sound as good as pulled from massive exporting corporations like those evil Cargils 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

but that dose not sound as good as pulled from massive exporting corporations like those evil Cargils 

Well, then the talking points wouldn't mesh.  Evil corporations or Trump Tariff bashing.

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The morons here have no clue. They get paid when it’s delivered. 

The farmer doesn't get paid until its delivered to China.  :lol:   Holy shit that's fucking sigworthy.  :lol:  

Do they even have farms that produce anything where you live.  :lol:  

9 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If you were a sorghum farmer your opinion would be way different.

Doubtful because you see the products I sell to my customers already have a 25% tariff going into China.   How about yours?

Let me ask you this MC.   Does the govt of China come in and audit your facility every year?  They do mine.  Do a bit of research on CCC.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Compulsory_Certificate

17 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The morons here have no clue. They get paid when it’s delivered. 

yeah to the fucking grain elevator. then the elevator holds till the market is what they want it to be to sell to who ever is buying . just stfu what do you farm in Maine besides piles of dirty depends 

27 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

No shit.   If a dem did this exact same thing I guarantee you they would be posting thread saying fuck those evil corporations.  :lol:  

53 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

good let them grow there own shit .you noticed your head line was bull shit again right ? 

go back and read the ships diverted after announcement of stiff tariffs . it was the exporters option to turn around and say ok we will sell it to some one else. 

let the China men attempt to feed all there people on there own .I know sure shit I can lived with out there total  junk products .

exactly... the biggest concern of the Chinese government is in fact keeping the 1.4 billion people fed on a daily basis.

Also if the Chinese source the product from somewhere else in the world that will create a shortage in that part of the global market. Think about it. If the global demand is 1B tonnes and the Chinese account for 10% of that demand, suddenly they get that 10% from Europe. The supply to Europe just diminished by 10% which will need to come from somewhere.... oh that's right. The US product that was originally destined for China can now fill the demand which was just created in Europe.

Edited by 02sled

A complete non-story that reeled some of you in.

Have you ever been on a ship at sea and rerouted because the price of the commodity changed? I have, on tankers, waiting for the price of gas or heating oil to change.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

exactly... the biggest concern of the Chinese government is in fact keeping the 1.4 billion people fed on a daily basis.

Also if the Chinese source the product from somewhere else in the world that will create a shortage in that part of the global market. Think about it. If the global demand is 1B tonnes and the Chinese account for 10% of that demand, suddenly they get that 10% from Europe. The supply to Europe just diminished by 10% which will need to come from somewhere.... oh that's right. The US product that was originally destined for China can now fill the demand which was just created in Europe.

^^^This^^^

The only way it will have a significant long term impact on global pricing is if the stopped using the product entirely.