Check your account email address ×

Michigan lawmakers consider legalizing marijuana before November ballot

The politics of marijuana in Michigan might take another turn with a proposal asking residents if they support recreational use in the state expected on the November ballot.

There's talk in Lansing about legislatively approving recreational marijuana before it hits the ballot. Current polling shows if the vote was taken now, it would pass. It's also proven to be an issue that turns out voters.

In a very unique political year, the voters invested in the marijuana proposal could seriously impact other races.

Medical marijuana usage passed by a wide margin in 2008, as 63 percent of voters said yes. Now, recreational pot is heading to the ballot, and while the signatures are still being vetted, there aren't many lawmakers in Lansing who don't think it will win.

"If it were today, it would pass with 55 or 56 percent of the vote," Darnoi said.

In Darnoi's estimation, it would also likely up the voter turnout by 2 or 3 percent, which makes GOP sources in Lansing wonder if they ought to legislatively pass recreational marijuana now. They are concerned that putting it on the ballot would cause them to lose control of the State House.

In an unpredictable election year, that's a very real conversation for lawmakers.

"It is a legitimate concern, and if I were with the House Republicans, I would certainly take it seriously," Darnoi said. "But I don't think it's reached critical mass at this point."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan-lawmakers-consider-legalizing-medical-marijuana-before-november-ballot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

5 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I'm not high yet. You need to work on your English composition.

If you really can't understand what I wrote you shouldn't run around acting the smarter role.

Please correct it like an English paper (even though written like a text message)

Just now, washedupmxer said:

If you really can't understand what I wrote you shouldn't run around acting the smarter role.

Please correct it like an English paper (even though written like a text message)

Sorry, I don't speak dumb ass.

3 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

You sure write it. You also lack the skills to correct it. 

You lose again. Doesn't that ever get old?

Yeah, it's my fault I didn't understand your retard English.

Serious for moto... does weed make people dumb? Or are stupid people drawn to smoking weed like ciggybutts... the guys I know who smoke a lot of weed every day are dumb AF

Just now, motonoggin said:

Yeah, it's my fault I didn't understand your retard English.

It is! Anyone with a quarter brain function could understand it. You obviously have 0 problem solving skills and wouldn't have any idea where to start with telling me what's wrong with it. 

Fuck I'd hate to see you sweat reading a short hand text message :lol:

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Serious for moto... does weed make people dumb? Or are stupid people drawn to smoking weed like ciggybutts... the guys I know who smoke a lot of weed every day are dumb AF

They always seem happy though. :lol: