Check your account email address ×

How many times have we heard on here....

• Platinum Contributing Member

"I'll gladly pay more for American made."

All of a sudden when Trump wants to implement tariffs that may or may not increase some products prices those same people are crying about it.  :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

And aren’t you a fiscal conservative....?

Fiscally conservative can't mean fair trade?   

5 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Life isn't fair you idealistic liberal!!!

More liberal than you would believe.  :lol:  

5 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

You know better....

Fiscally conservative can have more to do with govt spending than trade policy, especially when it means unfair trade like what goes on with the US and China with automobiles.  They tax ours 25%, we tax theirs 2.5%.   

For example many say its better to subsidize an industry than have tariffs that impact consumer prices.   I for the most part disagree.  

You guys need to realize that not all stereotypes of what the MSM says regarding ideologies are true. 

Edited by Highmark

22 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

We should have the same tariffs on other countries that they have on us , no more , no less.

I agree but what do you do to a country with no tariffs but government subsidizing said industry ? I say tariff to best guess as to what percentages you calculate they are receiving

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

I agree but what do you do to a country with no tariffs but government subsidizing said industry ? I say tariff to best guess as to what percentages you calculate they are receiving

I agree

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

On the news this morning they said the steel/aluminum tariffs will increase a new cars price $175.00 can of beer .6 cents. whoopeedoo

That cannot be correct. The proposed tariff on aluminum is only 10%.. That would mean they are already paying 60 cents a can. Cheap beer only cost 60 cents with the beer in . add in delivering and retailer markup

15 hours ago, Highmark said:

"I'll gladly pay more for American made."

All of a sudden when Trump wants to implement tariffs that may or may not increase some products prices those same people are crying about it.  :lol:  

The delusion of may or may not :lol: 

It's a tax that everyone will pay, even those who got an extra $5.00 a week on their paycheck. 

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

That cannot be correct. The proposed tariff on aluminum is only 10%.. That would mean they are already paying 60 cents a can. Cheap beer only cost 60 cents with the beer in . add in delivering and retailer markup

I played it back, I was wrong, it's 3/5 cents per can.. my mistake.

14 hours ago, Highmark said:

Fiscally conservative can have more to do with govt spending than trade policy, especially when it means unfair trade like what goes on with the US and China with automobiles.  They tax ours 25%, we tax theirs 2.5%.   

For example many say its better to subsidize an industry than have tariffs that impact consumer prices.   I for the most part disagree.  

You guys need to realize that not all stereotypes of what the MSM says regarding ideologies are true. 

No - you’re a typical Repug who championed the tax cut and the increased deficit as a result.  During the last admin the sequester was good.....now it’s no big deal when the Repugs cut taxes AND increase spending. Your hypocrisy has no bounds. 

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Like I said it's a tax for everyone :bc: 

My own opinion is if it puts 1000's of American jobs back in place I'll gladly pay a pittance more for American products.

CNN understood it at one time.  

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/opinions/american-steel-industry-gibson-schmitt/index.html

The crisis facing the U.S. steel industryBy Thomas J. Gibson and Chuck Schmitt

Updated 11:31 PM ET, Wed March 23, 2016

(CNN)As the backbone of American manufacturing, the steel industry is essential to the world's water and food supply, energy generation and national security. The U.S. military uses steel extensively, ranging from aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines to missiles, armor plate for tanks and every major military aircraft in production. There are a lot of reasons to take pride in American steel.

But today, our steel industry is being hurt by an unprecedented surge in unfairly traded imports, with record amounts of foreign-produced steel flooding into the United States. Cheap, subsidized foreign imports are taking steel jobs away.
In 2015, almost one in three tons of steel sold in the United States was produced outside the country. The import crisis is now beginning to get the national attention it deserves. The crisis has become the topic of presidential debates, candidate interviews and stump speeches. And it's about time.

Many presidential candidates are realizing that global overcapacity of steel -- in part due to massive subsidization by foreign governments -- is a huge problem and a chief contributor to the crisis the American steel industry faces. The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development estimatesthat there are about 700 million metric tons of excess steel capacity globally today.
China's government-owned and -supported steel industry represents almost half of the world's steelmaking and more than half of the world's overcapacity. Between 2000 and 2014, Chinese steel production increased a whopping 540%, while U.S. production declined 13%. As has been said by one steel company CEO in testimonybefore the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, the Chinese government is a company disguised as a country.
  • Thanks 1

The same people who are complaining on this will bitch about farm subsidies.  When unfair trade causes our govt to have to subsidize markets or industries to "survive" its time to take action other than just handing out money to them.  

Govt subsidized industries often over produce only increasing the negative impact on prices with over supply.  Producers at times are guaranteed prices so they simply produce and produce because they won't lose money.   All this production leads to oversupply and even lower prices causing the govt to subsidize even more.   

Great article on the impact of subsidies in the ag industry. 

https://www.card.iastate.edu/iowa_ag_review/winter_06/article1.aspx

Edited by Highmark

10 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

We should have the same tariffs on other countries that they have on us , no more , no less.

Thats fair. We are getting screwed on our exports while at the same time letting everything come in for free or close to it. 

1 hour ago, Nazipigdog said:

Thats fair. We are getting screwed on our exports while at the same time letting everything come in for free or close to it. 

We have to look at markets that foreign govts subsidize as well.  Between 2000 and 2014 China steel production increased 540%.   That didn't happen on its own especially considering a worldwide recession right in the middle of it.  

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

so where are all these people that were complaining about price increases, skidmark welcher? 

Bingo. Where they at is right. Especially since without tariffs and rather subsidies we could lower the price and make US steel more competitive. But whatever. It’s Trump so principles don’t matter as long as you can cheerlead.