Check your account email address ×

How many times have we heard on here....

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

We have to look at markets that foreign govts subsidize as well.  Between 2000 and 2014 China steel production increased 540%.   That didn't happen on its own especially considering a worldwide recession right in the middle of it.  

How much steel produced was exported vs used domestically? I’d be more concerned with their net export over that time tied to price change. I think that could be more accurate. 540% is a big number on its own, but compared to China’s overall growth from 2000-2014 it isn’t as staggering seeing the industrial revolution taking place there. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

How much steel produced was exported vs used domestically? I’d be more concerned with their net export over that time tied to price change. I think that could be more accurate. 540% is a big number on its own, but compared to China’s overall growth from 2000-2014 it isn’t as staggering seeing the industrial revolution taking place there. 

Problem with China is its hard to track.   They are dumping in Canada and other places and it comes here.   Even Canada admits this.  Again besides the imports its what happens to the steel market in general.   When something is subsidized its over produced.   Over production leads to excess supply and lower prices.   Unnatural market forces.   I buy in excess of $4 million in raw and processed steel (machined and laser cut) a year.   Trust me when I say I don't WANT higher steel prices to pass on.   Its a nightmare.   What I do want is markets controlling themselves which in the long run I feel makes for a stronger economy.  

Our trade deficit with Canada is actually advantageous to us.   Yes its an $18 billion deficit but considering we are 10x's there size population and economically we are doing pretty good.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I played it back, I was wrong, it's 3/5 cents per can.. my mistake.

Sounds realistic. Lets call it a penny. No one will stop drinking beer because the price increases 6 cents a rack