Check your account email address ×

Trump Stuns Lawmakers With Seeming Embrace of Gun Control Measures

I had mentioned momentum last week, the look on Cornyn's face today was priceless.

Trump Stuns Lawmakers With Seeming Embrace of Gun Control Measures

WASHINGTON — President Trump stunned Republicans on live television Wednesday by embracing gun control and urging a group of lawmakers at the White House to resurrect gun safety legislation that has been opposed for years by the powerful National Rifle Association and the vast majority of his party.

In a remarkable meeting in the Roosevelt Room, the president veered wildly from the N.R.A. playbook in front of giddy Democrats and stone-faced Republicans. He called for comprehensive gun control legislation that would expand background checks to weapons purchased at gun shows and on the internet, keep guns from the mentally ill, secure schools and restrict gun sales from some young adults. He even suggested a conversation on an assault weapons ban.

At one point, Mr. Trump suggested that law enforcement authorities should have the power to seize guns from mentally ill or other dangerous people without first going to court. “I like taking the guns early,” he said, adding, “take the guns first, go through due process second.”

The president’s declarations prompted a frantic series of calls from N.R.A. lobbyists to their allies on Capitol Hill and a statement from the group calling the ideas Mr. Trump expressed “bad policy.” Republican lawmakers issued statements or told reporters they remain opposed to gun control measures.

“We’re not ditching any Constitutional protections simply because the last person the President talked to today doesn’t like them,” snapped Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska.

Democrats, too, said they were skeptical that Mr. Trump will follow through.

“The White House can now launch a lobbying campaign to get universal background checks passed, as the president promised in this meeting, or they can sit and do nothing,” said Senator Chris Murphy, Democrat of Connecticut.

At the core of Mr. Trump’s suggestion was the revival of a bipartisan bill drafted in 2013 by Senators Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, a Democrat, and Patrick J. Toomey of Pennsylvania, a Republican, after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Despite a concerted push by President Barack Obama and the personal appeals of Sandy Hook parents, the bill fell to a largely Republican filibuster.

The president’s embrace did not immediately yield converts. Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, said that he was unmoved after the meeting, repeating the Republican dogma that recent shootings were not “conducted by someone who bought a gun at a gun show or parking lot.” Senator John Cornyn of Texas, the No. 2 Republican who sat next to Mr. Trump looking alternately bemused and flustered, emerged from the meeting and declared, “I thought it was fascinating television and it was surreal to actually be there.”

But Mr. Trump suggested that the dynamics in Washington have changed following the Florida school shooting that claimed 17 lives, in part because of his own leadership in the White House, a sentiment that the Democrats in the room readily appeared to embrace as they saw the president supporting their ideas.

“It would be so beautiful to have one bill that everyone could support,” Mr. Trump said as Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California and a longtime gun-control advocate, sat smiling to his left. “It’s time that a president stepped up.”

Democrats tried to turn sometimes muddled presidential musings into firm policy: “You saw the president clearly saying not once, not twice, not three times, but like ten times, that he wanted to see a strong universal background check bill,” Senator Amy Klobuchar, Democrat of Minnesota, said. “He didn’t mince words about it. So I do not understand how then he could back away from that.”

Just what the performance means, and whether Mr. Trump will aggressively push for new gun restrictions, remain uncertain given Mr. Trump’s history of taking erratic positions on policy issues, especially ones that have long polarized Washington and the country.

The gun-control performance on Wednesday was reminiscent of a similar, televised discussion with lawmakers about immigration last year at which he appeared to back bipartisan legislation to help young immigrants brought to the country illegally as children — only to reverse himself and back a hard-line approach that helped scuttle consensus in the Senate.

Mr. Trump’s comments during the hourlong meeting were at odds with his history as a candidate and president who has repeatedly declared his love for the Second Amendment and the N.R.A., which gave his campaign $30 million. At the group’s annual conference last year, Mr. Trump declared: “To the N.R.A., I can proudly say I will never, ever let you down.”

But at the meeting, the president repeatedly rejected the N.R.A.’s top legislative priority, a bill known as “concealed carry reciprocity,” that would allow a person with permission to carry a concealed weapon in one state to automatically do so in every state. To the dismay of Republicans, he dismissed the measure as having no chance at passage in the Congress. Republican leaders in the House had paired that N.R.A. priority with a modest measure to improve data reporting to the existing instant background check system.

“You’ll never get it,” Mr. Trump told Representative Steve Scalise of Louisiana, the House Republican whip who was gravely injured in a mass shooting last year but still opposes gun restrictions. “You’ll never get it passed. We want to get something done.”

Mr. Trump also flatly insisted that legislation should raise the minimum age for purchasing rifles from 18 to 21 — an idea the N.R.A. and many Republicans fiercely oppose. When Mr. Toomey pushed back on an increase in the minimum age for rifles, the president accused him of fearing the N.R.A. — a remarkable slap since the N.R.A. withdrew its support for Mr. Toomey over his background check bill.

“If there’s a Republican who’s demonstrated he’s not afraid of the N.R.A., that would be me,” Mr. Toomey said after the meeting.

The president appeared eager to challenge the impression that he is bought and paid-for by the gun rights group. While calling the N.R.A. membership “well-meaning,” he also said he told the group’s leaders at a lunch on Sunday that “it’s time. We’re going to stop this nonsense. It’s time.”

Officials at the gun group were taken aback by the president’s comments and immediately ramped up their lobbying against measures they have long said would damage the Second Amendment and do little to protect people against gun violence.

“While today’s meeting made for great T.V., the gun control policies discussed would make bad policy that wouldn’t keep our children safer,” said Jennifer Baker, a spokeswoman for the N.R.A.’s lobbying arm. “We are going to continue to work to pass policies that might actually prevent another horrific tragedy.”

But at least for Wednesday, Mr. Trump seemed willing to veer far from the N.R.A. script, even seeming to suggest that he might back an ban on assault-style weapons when Ms. Feinstein asked what they could do about “weapons of war.” The N.R.A. has helped to defeat an assault weapons ban since the last one expired in 2004.

The reaction in Washington was swift. Breitbart.com, a right-wing site once led by Stephen K. Bannon, the president’s one-time chief strategist, published a story with an all-caps, bright red headline: “TRUMP THE GUN GRABBER.”

The site added that the president “CEDES DEMS’ WISH LIST — BUMP STOCKS, BUYING AGE, ‘ASSAULT WEAPONS,’ BACKGROUND CHECKS. TELLS SCALISE TO TAKE A HIKE — AFTER SURVIVING ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT.”

The president did return several times to a proposal that conservatives like: arming teachers in schools so and ending the “gun free zones” around schools that Mr. Trump said had made America’s schools among the most vulnerable targets for mass shooters.

“You’ve got to have defense too,” the president told the lawmakers. “You can’t just be sitting ducks. And that’s exactly what we’ve allowed people in these buildings and schools to be.”

But several times, he acknowledged how controversial that proposal is, and seemed to accept the idea that it might not be included in a comprehensive gun control measure that could pass through both chambers in the Congress.

He also backed a modest measure sponsored by a Republican and a Democrat in the Senate to improve the quality of the data in the background check system. But he told the bill’s author, Sen. John Cornyn, Republican of Texas, to consider just adding that proposal to the broader expansion of the background check system.

“It would be nice to add everything on to it,” Mr. Trump said. “Maybe change the title. Maybe we could make it much more comprehensive and have one bill.”

Reporting was contributed by Thomas Kaplan, Sheryl Gay Stolberg, Peter Baker and Julie Hirschfeld Davis.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-stuns-lawmakers-with-seeming-embrace-of-gun-control-measures/ar-BBJI1QI

I give those brave survivors of the school shooting credit for this.

:lol:

Now, what dems are gonna take credit for MAKING Trump state these things while simultaneously blaming him for making them and saying it’s not enough?

:lmao:

What a worthless bag of dicks the Dema are.  Have they found a new benefactor to run for president yet?

Just now, f7ben said:

There will be no gun control

SHIT THE FUCK UP!!!!  Vinney told us all this would happen last week!!!!!!

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!  SHUT FHTHSNFUCJ UP!!!!!   Shut the djdjuisndu up!  Sjfhfjsksjdnhdjdisjsjjdjdjd!!!!!!!!

71B67164-2253-4507-B385-D830A4D14E95.gif

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

And senseless violence will never be irradiated with laws

Nope.  Guns, drugs, alcohol,. Will always be a part of American culture. No matter how many laws are passed.

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Congress won’t pass shit. Even good measures. Like 21 to buy an AR. 

I really have a hard time not seeing why this shouldn’t be done for most guns.  Shotguns, hunting rifles and maybe some revolvers excluded.  Maybe age 20?

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I really have a hard time not seeing why this shouldn’t be done for most guns.  Shotguns, hunting rifles and maybe some revolvers excluded.  Maybe age 20?

Hunting weapons at 18. I’m ok with that. Pistols and ARs are for another purpose. An American right, but regardless. I kinda like the LEO mandated ban until a psychiatric evaluation and judge order. It’s just hard to see it not being abused. Due process. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

An American "right" to defend against tyrannical governments. 

Not to shoot up schools. 

We already have laws against shooting up schools now go fuck yourself retard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I give those brave survivors of the school shooting credit for this.

:lol:

Now, what dems are gonna take credit for MAKING Trump state these things while simultaneously blaming him for making them and saying it’s not enough?

:lmao:

What a worthless bag of dicks the Dema are.  Have they found a new benefactor to run for president yet?

As does anyone who gives it any thought, only in your deluded mind do see dems, and more dems, the dems haunt you it's obvious :lol: 

SHIT THE FUCK UP!!!!  Vinney told us all this would happen last week!!!!!!

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!  SHUT FHTHSNFUCJ UP!!!!!   Shut the djdjuisndu up!  Sjfhfjsksjdnhdjdisjsjjdjdjd!!!!!!!!

71B67164-2253-4507-B385-D830A4D14E95.gif

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Hunting weapons at 18. I’m ok with that. Pistols and ARs are for another purpose. An American right, but regardless. I kinda like the LEO mandated ban until a psychiatric evaluation and judge order. It’s just hard to see it not being abused. Due process. 

Dicks Sporting goods is dropping assault type rifles, Walmart has raised the age to buy guns and ammo to 21.....Wayne LaPierre must be epileptic.

I rode my bike to K-Mart and I bought my Marlin 39a Golden when I was 15, times have changed in so many ways.