Check your account email address ×

Why I cant stand the fucking Procross

f7ben

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Highmark said:

I'm not questioning the Polaris Ergo's, its my favorite but comfortable sitting position alone does not make or break how a sled handles.   I've put some time on my brothers 144 assault and while its riding position is awesome it didn't give me this overwhelming feeling of railing in the corners, in fact quite the opposite.  

I agree 100%, I just feel like I am reaching anytime I sit on a winder or a viper.

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

when I sit on a sidewinder I feel stretched out like I am really having to reach for the bars and hunched over. My axys feels kind of compact but comfortable as I am more upright..Looking at the vertical lines in correlation to the steering post I can see why.. Im not a short guy, average height and weight 6'2"- 200ish.

Yeah....it's all in how you ride.  My buddies Axys feels uber comfortable compared to my last Cat or this one.  But he rides different.  I felt it may have been awkward to slide forward and around the side plastics.  But...  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm not questioning the Polaris Ergo's, its my favorite but comfortable sitting position alone does not make or break how a sled handles.   I've put some time on my brothers 144 assault and while its riding position is awesome it didn't give me this overwhelming feeling of railing in the corners, in fact quite the opposite.  

Right.

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm about 6' and very comfortable on my AXYS, and I put kneepads on it,  because I tend to ride with my knees up against the cowl.  i"m had them on Skidoos and Cats as well.  However the first thing you notice if you hop off it and onto an XS or G4, is that you can move your feet forward more, which would make that angle being drawn look more like a right angle which Ben is complaining about.  In other words, he doesn't know wtf he's talking about. :lol: The REV chassis was the first chassis to capture the idea that hips being above the knees is more comfortable, but only if you don't mind having them bent all day long, which for anyone with beat up knees, wasn't so optimal either.    

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm about 6' and very comfortable on my AXYS, and I put kneepads on it,  because I tend to ride with my knees up against the cowl.  i"m had them on Skidoos and Cats as well.  However the first thing you notice if you hop off it and onto an XS or G4, is that you can move your feet forward more, which would make that angle being drawn look more like a right angle which Ben is complaining about.  In other words, he doesn't know wtf he's talking about. :lol: The REV chassis was the first chassis to capture the idea that hips being above the knees is more comfortable, but only if you don't mind having them bent all day long, which for anyone with beat up knees, wasn't so optimal either.    

Actually my Yamaha Sno Sports had a bit of this before the Rev.  :lol:  

My Motofist pants have knee-pads so I've never felt the need for them on sleds.   Pending how I'm riding is whether or not my knee's are up against the panels.  For more aggressive riding I do scoot forward.   I'm 6'1" but 6'3" with my boots on.  :lol:  On rough trails I like putting my feet under me some to use my legs as a part of the suspension.  

Edited by Highmark

13 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I agree 100%, I just feel like I am reaching anytime I sit on a winder or a viper.

I weirdly took these on Saturday.  The bars on my sno-x are actually 2-3 inches further up than my RR was.  So, I see what you mean by the "reaching" comment.

I've highlighted why they are more forward.  This is where the knees need to be in realtionship to bars for racing balance (not sure why my buddy painted his...now it's all jacked up).  One of the things I think Poo has done with their model is make it possible to maintain a more comfortable riding position and still achieve great handling.  My Cats will perform better in the handling department flat out better than my Rev or  Xp did.  But it most certainly takes some active riding to get it there.  The most uncomfortable position on my Cats is just sitting on them.

SX plastic.jpg

14 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Where were the handlebars set?   I don't feel that way at all on mine.  

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, DAVE said:

No...they need to move upper part forward.

They could move the gas tank back on the procross like on the rev and then Ben would be able to ride on the gas tank like he wants.

Edited by BOHICA

If you take a look at the pics zam posted there you can see that your knees have to move out on the panel to get into a natural position on the sled. Thatis fine in the corners where you are moving out to one side but when tucking in on the straights it is very awkward and forces you back on the sled.

I like my legs to be at an angle and tucked in to the gas tank with the bars in a good feeling position as far as distance from my body. I like my whole shin to contact the panel from my boot top to my knee and I leverage my whole body with my legs when braking etc. It just feels right that way. The Rev and the XP did this well for me. The Axys was perfect also. Even the crossfire I am riding now is very natural feeling. The procross is just so far off that it is disruptive to me.

Like I said...I know the procross handles well and the suspension works beautifully.....I am a cat guy my whole life and it sucks that they have been building a sled that doesnt fit me at all for 7 years now. My disappointment stems from wanting to be able to experience some of the other great stuff cat has offered and just not being able to get over the PC chassis ergos

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If you take a look at the pics zam posted there you can see that your knees have to move out on the panel to get into a natural position on the sled. Thatis fine in the corners where you are moving out to one side but when tucking in on the straights it is very awkward and forces you back on the sled.

I like my legs to be at an angle and tucked in to the gas tank with the bars in a good feeling position as far as distance from my body. I like my whole shin to contact the panel from my boot top to my knee and I leverage my whole body with my legs when braking etc. It just feels right that way. The Rev and the XP did this well for me. The Axys was perfect also. Even the crossfire I am riding now is very natural feeling. The procross is just so far off that it is disruptive to me.

Like I said...I know the procross handles well and the suspension works beautifully.....I am a cat guy my whole life and it sucks that they have been building a sled that doesnt fit me at all for 7 years now. My disappointment stems from wanting to be able to experience some of the other great stuff cat has offered and just not being able to get over the PC chassis ergos

Is that the best position for you to crack a can of beer open? :dunno:

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Good post.  This makes sense for sure.  That could very well be why the new plastics on the Cat in 2018.  (my pics are a 17)

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Where were the handlebars set?   I don't feel that way at all on mine.  

I'm just throwing a leg over sleds sitting in a showroom 

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I'm just throwing a leg over sleds sitting in a showroom 

Yeah when sitting on the 3 major chassis's the Procross is probably my least favorite.   But since riding it for almost 700 miles now its really a pretty good setup.  Of course having 275+ HP will do a lot for smiles and overcoming chassis or ergo negatives.  :lol:  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah when sitting on the 3 major chassis's the Procross is probably my least favorite.   But since riding it for almost 700 miles now its really a pretty good setup.  Of course having 275+ HP will do a lot for smiles and overcoming chassis or ergo negatives.  :lol:  

The reason the Procross (and Cat) usually fall behind in the sales arena is they really do bring more of the racing platform to the showroom floor than any other model.  If you are into performance over comfort...it works.  If you are not, it tends to fall a bit flat.  Like Rigid said, and like my experience...jsut throwing a leg over one as it sits dormant can give the wrong impressions of what it does and, is designed to do on the snow. 

Body size and agility factor in also.  Ben is a tall feller so, I can see why it's a bit harder to find a sled that works well for him.  I'm short so they all work well for me...to a point.  I just look for function over comfort.

Ughhh.......let me know if I can help out anymore today.

:lol:

Related image

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

The reason the Procross (and Cat) usually fall behind in the sales arena is they really do bring more of the racing platform to the showroom floor than any other model.  If you are into performance over comfort...it works.  If you are not, it tends to fall a bit flat.  Like Rigid said, and like my experience...jsut throwing a leg over one as it sits dormant can give the wrong impressions of what it does and, is designed to do on the snow. 

Body size and agility factor in also.  Ben is a tall feller so, I can see why it's a bit harder to find a sled that works well for him.  I'm short so they all work well for me...to a point.  I just look for function over comfort.

Ughhh.......let me know if I can help out anymore today.

Related image

How short are you?

Screenshot_20180227-121057~2.png

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

How short are you?

Screenshot_20180227-121057~2.png

I range between 5-8 and 5-10 depending on what my hockey card wants to read and the night before.  Military clocked me at 5-9 but I've had some spinal compressions since then.  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I range between 5-8 and 5-10 depending on what my hockey card wants to read and the night before.  Military clocked me at 5-9 but I've had some spinal compressions since then.  :lol:

Still taller then RR and Huzy...

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

"RR"?  Red Rocket?

Shorter huh?   Wow.  Still, one of the worse beatings I ever took was from a short (er) skinny fucker.  It was like fighting a fucking squirrel!  :lol:

Yup.