Check your account email address ×

What real Presidents do

This is what a real leader does during a crisis, unannounced and sincere.

What the President secretly did at Sandy Hook Elementary School

Below is an excerpt from The President’s Devotional by Joshua Dubois, the former head of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. He’s recounting events that occurred Sunday, December 16, 2012 — two days after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza fatally shot 20 children and 6 adult staff members. Dubois had gotten word the day before that the President wanted to meet with the families of the victims:

I left early to help the advance team—the hardworking folks who handle logistics for every event—set things up, and I arrived at the local high school where the meetings and memorial service would take place. We prepared seven or eight classrooms for the families of the slain children and teachers, two or three families to a classroom, placing water and tissues and snacks in each one. Honestly, we didn’t know how to prepare; it was the best we could think of.

The families came in and gathered together, room by room. Many struggled to offer a weak smile when we whispered, “The president will be here soon.” A few were visibly angry—so understandable that it barely needs to be said—and were looking for someone, anyone, to blame. Mostly they sat in silence.

I went downstairs to greet President Obama when he arrived, and I provided an overview of the situation. “Two families per classroom . . . The first is . . . and their child was . . . The second is . . . and their child was . . . We’ll tell you the rest as you go.”

The president took a deep breath and steeled himself, and went into the first classroom. And what happened next I’ll never forget.

Person after person received an engulfing hug from our commander in chief. He’d say, “Tell me about your son. . . . Tell me about your daughter,” and then hold pictures of the lost beloved as their parents described favorite foods, television shows, and the sound of their laughter. For the younger siblings of those who had passed away—many of them two, three, or four years old, too young to understand it all—the president would grab them and toss them, laughing, up into the air, and then hand them a box of White House M&M’s, which were always kept close at hand. In each room, I saw his eyes water, but he did not break.

And then the entire scene would repeat—for hours. Over and over and over again, through well over a hundred relatives of the fallen, each one equally broken, wrecked by the loss. After each classroom, we would go back into those fluorescent hallways and walk through the names of the coming families, and then the president would dive back in, like a soldier returning to a tour of duty in a worthy but wearing war. We spent what felt like a lifetime in those classrooms, and every single person received the same tender treatment. The same hugs. The same looks, directly in their eyes. The same sincere offer of support and prayer.

The staff did the preparation work, but the comfort and healing were all on President Obama. I remember worrying about the toll it was taking on him. And of course, even a president’s comfort was woefully inadequate for these families in the face of this particularly unspeakable loss. But it became some small measure of love, on a weekend when evil reigned.

From The President’s Devotional. Copyright 2013 Joshua Dub

https://voxpopulisphere.com/2015/12/11/10733/?shared=email&msg=fail

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

None of you guys can’t say this was a nice gesture by a compassionate President?

Really sad

Why would we do that? We are only here to post negative Trump threads because we are Independents ! :crazy:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Damn he was a passionate guy. Didn't know shit about economics. Let a recession that should have been over in 2 yrs drag out for 5. But he was a passionate guy. Someone hug him , please , do it.

It took The Shrub 8 years to fuck it up after entering with a surplus from Clinton. 

And Obama should have fixed it in 2 years? You base this on what?

Just now, steve from amherst said:

the fact that the 2 recessions before it took 18 months and 21 months. Around here the recession of the late 80's was worse then this one. But you already knew that . You live around here.

This was THE GREAT RECESSION!!!!

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

the fact that the 2 recessions before it took 18 months and 21 months. Around here the recession of the late 80's was worse then this one. But you already knew that . You live around here.

The Deomocrats had to fix all of them. Those tax and spend libruls

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Shame on Obama for comforting those families!!!!!111

Oh please...MC titled his thread this way because he wants the negative responses...his fucking game is old and worn out just like him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh please...MC titled his thread this way because he wants the negative responses...his fucking game is old and worn out just like him.

Yep ^^^^^^^^^ 

Just now, Mainecat said:

The Deomocrats had to fix all of them. Those tax and spend libruls

Had he just shut the fuck up , sat in the rose garden and did nothing it would had ended quicker. Then add in the media who scared the shit out of the people who still had jobs and money to spend . They basicly told people not to spend it. Causing even more stagnation.

11 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

The recession in the 80's the stock market dropped by half and the economy was shedding 800,000 jobs a month? The entire global economy was in the shitter and entire countries were going broke because they invested into US mortgage backed securities? Man I must have been smoking more pot than I thought in the 80's...

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

And here you are. He must like your attention. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

:lmao: As you do your best TransZam impersonation and post in every thread....and bitch about the OP’s intent while posting :lol: 

Pretty fucking stupid Jim Bob :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Maybe we both were. Around here the 80's recession had hit harder then the last one.

The liberal news must have totally ignored it because I dont remember seeing any of that.