Check your account email address ×

Big rebound: 287,000 jobs added in June

maybe things are booming in some parts but not up here. a lot of towns are paving roads because they have put it off for years and get it done while oil is cheap. if things were great then there would be lots of trucks on the road taking goods to market. but trailer sales are the lowest in 7 yrs. volvo is laying off 300 at there truck plant in va. because of poor sales. freight rates are down 

11 hours ago, snowstorm said:

maybe things are booming in some parts but not up here. a lot of towns are paving roads because they have put it off for years and get it done while oil is cheap. if things were great then there would be lots of trucks on the road taking goods to market. but trailer sales are the lowest in 7 yrs. volvo is laying off 300 at there truck plant in va. because of poor sales. freight rates are down 

Ballsack like all DemonCUNTS is a delusional clueless know nothing ignoramus :nuts:

On 7/21/2016 at 7:44 AM, SnowRider said:

Snoplumber is bitching....all the trades contractors I know are balls deep in work. 

Snoputz plumbing must not be a first rate contractor :snack:

I has been getting busier every year since 2012. We are having trouble finding enough labor for the first time in our 9 years being in business.

31 minutes ago, Anler said:

I has been getting busier every year since 2012. We are having trouble finding enough labor for the first time in our 9 years being in business.

Global OEM automation suppliers have predicted US sales being more significant this year.   Its not all rosy though as some equipment OEM sales are way down so far this year compared to others.  

We have already hit our max for this year and need to push out any new business to next.

On 7/21/2016 at 10:24 AM, SnowRider said:

I have to twist arms to get EC's to bid on $1,000,000+ electrical packages.  Had 2 bidders on a larger project - low was $860,000, the other guy didn't really want it and was $1.05 million.  When W was in charge I'd have close to 15 bidders on a similar size project.  

Most jobs are in the $200,000 - $500,000 range and 3-4 bidders are usually all that bid because they have work lined up for the next 8-12 months.  Must be the bad economy :D

Good stuff! :bc:

On 7/21/2016 at 10:26 AM, racer254 said:

How many of these are publicly funded projects? 

The public sector construction market is dead in Chicago.

On 7/21/2016 at 10:48 AM, Highmark said:

You keep telling yourself that Vince.   My industry is NOT booming.  I too talk all the time with customers and suppliers who supply for much more than my industry and I haven't had ONE tell me things are good in a long time.  

The only jackasses I see are the ones that think Hillary Clinton and more of Obama's policies would be good for America.  How much money coming into Chicago is being helped by Obama being POTUS?   Lets see if Clinton gets in if the same happens.   Pretty blind for supposedly a smart guy.  

Its admirable you beating off the Chicago economy but reality is its simply not that good.   Want to see a jackass look in the mirror.

You've just been owned.  :taunt:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160304/BLOGS02/160309901/the-conundrum-of-chicagos-economy

At a time when Chicago's job growth is markedly lagging both the nation's and most other big metros, a trade publication is reporting that metropolitan Chicago once again is leading the nation in luring new or expanded corporate facilities.

How can both be true? The study hints that different sections of the regional economy are headed in different directions, with downtown Chicago doing fine and the rest of the city and much of suburbia not as fine.

A big part of your industry is a recreation that has shrunk over the last decade.

Chicago is leading the nation in luring corporations to move the HQ's to the city, Chicago has a dynamic business community that is magnet for more buiness.

34 highrises under construction is only part off the story, there is much tenant improvement work going to right now, the private sector is spending money right now and that is very good my friend.

March 4, 2016

Chicago Named Nation’s “Top Metro” For New And Expanding Companies For Third Year In A Row

Site Selection Magazine recognized Chicago for having most corporate investment in the nation in 2015

Chicago ranked “Top Metro” in the United States in 2015 for corporate investment in the March issue of Site Selection magazine. For the third consecutive year, the Chicago metro area saw more new and expanding corporate facilities than any other area. Today’s news comes on the heels of Allstate and Beam Suntory announcing they are moving 850 jobs to Chicago just this week. Both join of a steady stream of companies that have recently decided to locate in the city, including ConAgra Foods, Oscar Mayer and Kraft Heinz Company. To date in 2016, Chicago has added nearly 2,000 jobs.

“For the third straight year, Chicago has been recognized as the number one city for corporate investment, which amounts to a continuing vote of confidence by companies in the strength of our business climate. This is translating into more jobs for Chicagoans and more economic opportunities for residents in all parts of our city,” said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. “Chicago’s central location, tremendous access to transportation, unmatched talent and business friendly environment continue to attract companies of all sizes and sectors. They see a city with a bright future that they want to be a part of.”

In consideration for the “Top Metro” ranking, World Business Chicago (WBC) submitted 322 projects from 2015, accounting for more than $3 billion in investment and 13,400 new jobs. Considered an “industry scoreboard” for the corporate relocation community, Site Selection focuses on new corporate facility projects with significant impact, including headquarters, manufacturing plants, R&D operations and logistics sites.

Major 2015 projects included: ConAgra’s relocation of its headquarters and 700 employees from Omaha to Chicago; GrubHub’s expansion to accommodate 1,000 workers at its Chicago headquarters; and Glassdoor’s new Chicago office, which will add more than 250 jobs in the city.

“Chicago’s engaged business community and committed civic leadership have created a business environment that companies near and far want to be a part of,” World Business Chicago President & CEO Jeff Malehorn said. “We are lucky to have such a diverse city with unmatched assets, and work hard to assure that the Chicago region is top of mind for companies making location and expansion decisions.”

“While there is debate in some circles about the economic impact of corporate headquarters, in Chicago there is no denying their power,” says Adam Bruns, managing editor of Site Selection. “Even more undeniable are the sparks that fly among companies, higher education and cultural institutions, and the metro area's venture capital and incubator/accelerator community, embodied in the hives of innovation that are 1871 and the Merchandise Mart.”

In order to be included, new facilities and expansions must meet at least one of three Site Selection criteria: (a) capital investment of at least $1 million, (b) create at least 20 new jobs or (c) add at least 20,000 square feet of new floor area.

# # #

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/mayor/press_room/press_releases/2016/march/Nations-Top-Metro.html

23 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Nope.  Direct to the end user or a GC.  Bids are turnkey and include labor and materials.  It's relative - when times are slow - contractors are looking for work.  When times are good - their schedules are filled and they are more selective.  I encourage engineers, architects, and end-users to allow a larger window and be more flexible with their completion dates.  Thus - more contractors will be interested if they don't fell pressured to complete the project in a short time frame. 

Speed cost money, planes, trains, cars bikes, sleds, construction, etc.....How fast do you want to go? Is all based on how much do you want spend.... :bc:

Edited by Mileage Psycho

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Speed cost money, planes, trains, cars bikes, sleds, construction, etc.....How fast do you want to go? Is all based on how much do you want spend.... :bc:

I wish the world would slow down some..I'm getting fawking dizzy!:D

On 7/21/2016 at 10:48 AM, Highmark said:

You keep telling yourself that Vince.   My industry is NOT booming.  I too talk all the time with customers and suppliers who supply for much more than my industry and I haven't had ONE tell me things are good in a long time.  

The only jackasses I see are the ones that think Hillary Clinton and more of Obama's policies would be good for America.  How much money coming into Chicago is being helped by Obama being POTUS?   Lets see if Clinton gets in if the same happens.   Pretty blind for supposedly a smart guy.  

Its admirable you beating off the Chicago economy but reality is its simply not that good.   Want to see a jackass look in the mirror.

You've just been owned.  :taunt:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160304/BLOGS02/160309901/the-conundrum-of-chicagos-economy

At a time when Chicago's job growth is markedly lagging both the nation's and most other big metros, a trade publication is reporting that metropolitan Chicago once again is leading the nation in luring new or expanded corporate facilities.

How can both be true? The study hints that different sections of the regional economy are headed in different directions, with downtown Chicago doing fine and the rest of the city and much of suburbia not as fine.

Im sure Chicago looks quite different to you back country types reading shit on the internet. But the reality is business here is booming on many levels despite the city and states financial woes. And those are very serious problems, however Chicago is the shipping hub of the country and that fact alone has made the Chicagoland area (which includes some 19+ counties) the largest job market in the country. And also makes it a strategic location for many national and international companies.

Your prejudice of "liberal policies" and people like us who live in and enjoy this area is a handicap for rational and logical thinking. But facts are facts. We live here and see what is going on. You can post up whatever google search you can find. Bloggers need jobs too... :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Good stuff! :bc:

The public sector construction market is dead in Chicago.

A big part of your industry is a recreation that has shrunk over the last decade.

Chicago is leading the nation in luring corporations to move the HQ's to the city, Chicago has a dynamic business community that is magnet for more buiness.

34 highrises under construction is only part off the story, there is much tenant improvement work going to right now, the private sector is spending money right now and that is very good my friend.

My industry should be booming with so many retiring and having more time for recreation.  

Regarding Chicago proof is in the numbers.   You cannot say Chicago is just "downtown."   You have your share of economic and crime issues.  

48 minutes ago, Anler said:

Im sure Chicago looks quite different to you back country types reading shit on the internet. But the reality is business here is booming on many levels despite the city and states financial woes. And those are very serious problems, however Chicago is the shipping hub of the country and that fact alone has made the Chicagoland area (which includes some 19+ counties) the largest job market in the country. And also makes it a strategic location for many national and international companies.

Your prejudice of "liberal policies" and people like us who live in and enjoy this area is a handicap for rational and logical thinking. But facts are facts. We live here and see what is going on. You can post up whatever google search you can find. Bloggers need jobs too... :bc:

:lmao:Booming in downtown does not mean overall.   Proof is in the numbers.  I can find post after post of financial troubles in Chicago from the public pensions to jobs.  Its the highest taxed city in the country and still can't meet pension obligations.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/27/chicago-credit-downgrade_n_6772854.html

By Karen Pierog

CHICAGO, Feb 27 (Reuters) - Chicago drew closer to a fiscal free fall on Friday with a rating downgrade from Moody’s Investors Service that could trigger the immediate termination of four interest-rate swap agreements, costing the city about $58 million and raising the prospect of more broken swaps contracts.

The downgrade to Baa2, just two steps above junk, and a warning the rating could fall further still, means the third-biggest U.S. city could face even higher costs in the future if banks choose to terminate other interest-rate hedges against fluctuations in interest rates. All told, Chicago holds swaps contracts covering $2.67 billion in debt, according to a disclosure late last year.

Chicago’s finances are already sagging under an unfunded pension liability Moody’s has pegged at $32 billion and that is equal to eight times the city’s operating revenue. The city has a $300 million structural deficit in its $3.53 billion operating budget and is required by an Illinois law to boost the 2016 contribution to its police and fire pension funds by $550 million.

Edited by Highmark

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

My industry should be booming with so many retiring and having more time for recreation.  

Regarding Chicago proof is in the numbers.   You cannot say Chicago is just "downtown."   You have your share of economic and crime issues.  

What industry are you in?

Just now, SnowRider said:

What industry are you in?

We design and mfg products for turf maintenance. (gold courses and sports fields) 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

We design and mfg products for turf maintenance. (gold courses and sports fields) 

What type of products?  

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

What type of products?  

I don't go into those details on here.   

Just now, Highmark said:

I don't go into those details on here.   

Fair enough.  But jim in a similar market and we are having a record year. 

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

Fair enough.  But jim in a similar market and we are having a record year. 

We are by no means slow but its not great either.   Got a couple new idea's coming that may boost sales significantly but they won't be out until next year at the earliest.

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lmao:Booming in downtown does not mean overall.   Proof is in the numbers.  I can find post after post of financial troubles in Chicago from the public pensions to jobs.  Its the highest taxed city in the country and still can't meet pension obligations.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/27/chicago-credit-downgrade_n_6772854.html

By Karen Pierog

CHICAGO, Feb 27 (Reuters) - Chicago drew closer to a fiscal free fall on Friday with a rating downgrade from Moody’s Investors Service that could trigger the immediate termination of four interest-rate swap agreements, costing the city about $58 million and raising the prospect of more broken swaps contracts.

The downgrade to Baa2, just two steps above junk, and a warning the rating could fall further still, means the third-biggest U.S. city could face even higher costs in the future if banks choose to terminate other interest-rate hedges against fluctuations in interest rates. All told, Chicago holds swaps contracts covering $2.67 billion in debt, according to a disclosure late last year.

Chicago’s finances are already sagging under an unfunded pension liability Moody’s has pegged at $32 billion and that is equal to eight times the city’s operating revenue. The city has a $300 million structural deficit in its $3.53 billion operating budget and is required by an Illinois law to boost the 2016 contribution to its police and fire pension funds by $550 million.

Well like I said, for you to think that the "Chicago land" area is limited to the borders of Chicago you are just a fool. Do you think contractors like us only work within the city limits?

Also as Vince mentioned the numerous new high rises going up and the massive Tennant space renovations taking place all within the highest taxed city in the country with the highest cost of labor in. The country. Now try to wrap your mind around that...

11 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well like I said, for you to think that the "Chicago land" area is limited to the borders of Chicago you are just a fool. Do you think contractors like us only work within the city limits?

Also as Vince mentioned the numerous new high rises going up and the massive Tennant space renovations taking place all within the highest taxed city in the country with the highest cost of labor in. The country. Now try to wrap your mind around that...

All good information Anler but there is plenty information out there from even liberal sources saying overall the Chicago economy is not good.  47th according to the BLS of large metropolitan areas.   Add in the pension and other city liabilities and you are kidding yourself if you think Chicago is the shinning city on the hill.

Wife's company is moving to downtown Chicago. Her last company moved down there also. I think some of those buildings sat vacant for a while after the recession, and now they're offering more competitive rates for space.

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

All good information Anler but there is plenty information out there from even liberal sources saying overall the Chicago economy is not good.  47th according to the BLS of large metropolitan areas.   Add in the pension and other city liabilities and you are kidding yourself if you think Chicago is the shinning city on the hill.

You are focusing on govt and I agreed it's not a good situation. Private sector growth is driving the economy. Despite the high taxes, high cost of labor and high real estate prices. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

You are focusing on govt and I agreed it's not a good situation. Private sector growth is driving the economy. Despite the high taxes, high cost of labor and high real estate prices. 

Good post.

I see it that way also.

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Then why is unemployment so high and growth so low compared to other large metropolitan areas?  Is the media lying?  Hell Detroit has less unemployment.  

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-jeb-economic-growth-gdp-economy-perspec-0207-20160205-column.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-brookings-global-growth-0122-biz-20150121-story.html

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Then why is unemployment so high and growth so low compared to other large metropolitan areas?  Is the media lying?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-jeb-economic-growth-gdp-economy-perspec-0207-20160205-column.html

Yup the media the government it's bullshit, sub 2% growth is basically going backwards when you add in inflation and population growth :flush: 

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Yup the media the government it's bullshit, sub 2% growth is basically going backwards when you add in inflation and population growth :flush: 

Bet good money if a Repub was in the WH or mayor's office Anler and Vince would be bitching about the economy in Chicago.  

You are spot on when it comes to 2% growth.  

Edited by Highmark

21 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I dont know where the unemployment is. We need skilled labor and its not there. Everyone is working. :dunno:

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Bet good money if a Repub was in the WH or mayor's office Anler and Vince would be bitching about the economy in Chicago.  

You are spot on when it comes to 2% growth.  

The economy was pretty good under Bush but in hindsight I think it was fueled by cheap, easy access to credit. And Illinois has had a republican governor for most of my life. Its wasnt until George Ryan (republican governor) was under criminal investigation that a dem was able to get into the governor's mansion. I have thrived under both repub and dem admins. 

However, the absolute worst economy of my lifetime was the 2008 fallout from the end of the Bush Administration. And right now it is far better, like leaps and bounds better, than it was in 2008/2009.