Check your account email address ×

Break-in suspect shot, man in home charged

• Platinum Contributing Member

I don't care what the laws of the area you live in are you shouldn't shoot at a fleeing criminal.   I'm not saying there are not scenarios that its not justified but its simply not worth it in the vast majority of the cases.   Any CC class that's worth anything teaches protecting yourself is not just about using your firearm in self defense but not using it at times in order to protect yourself from the legal system that can lean to support the criminal.  

Edited by Highmark

So this means that we assume that once the home invader runs off, that they will never come back? There is no reason to think they will show up again in a night or two and break in again, or worse, set the house on fire?

I'm not a gun owner, and don't live in a place where this kind of thing happens a lot, but I'm OK with making sure they don't get away to play another day. 

• Like 2

So,   you come home to find your wife is being brutally raped and beaten, but he turns his back to you.

guess you just let him stroll out the door and alert the authorities.

Edited by Cold War
  • Like 1

Homeowner to detective (lawyer present): "The first two shots must have hit him in the chest as he was coming toward me with my own kitchen knife, the third and forth shots must have been when he was spun around by the first two.....it was dark and hard to tell.  I was in fear for my life."

Detective to "assailant" "Sir(s), can you tell us what happened in your own words?

"Assailant(s) answer":  ........ [deathly quiet]

Just now, Zambroski said:

Homeowner to detective (lawyer present): "The first two shots must have hit him in the chest as he was coming toward me with my own kitchen knife, the third and forth shots must have been when he was spun around by the first two.....it was dark and hard to tell.  I was in fear for my life."

Detective to "assailant" "Sir(s), can you tell us what happened in your own words?

sitting with your morning bloody mary and fantasizing again? 

14 hours ago, Snake said:

A man is charged with attempted murder and a raft of firearms offences after helping fend off home invaders, one of whom he’s now charged with shooting.

Kyle Earl Munroe was arrested on July 12 after RCMP and Halifax Regional Police responded to a report of a home invasion involving firearms at a home in Porters Lake.

Police said that three men entered the residence with guns and a struggle took place with two men inside.

The two in the home seized a firearm from one of the suspects and several shots were fired as the suspects fled. Police later located one of the suspects, who had non-life-threatening gunshot wounds.

Munroe faces charges of attempted murder, intent to discharge a firearm, intent to discharge a firearm when being reckless, careless use of a firearm, improper storage of a firearm, pointing a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing that possession is unauthorized, and possession for the purpose of trafficking.

“Right now they’re just pending charges,” said spokeswoman Chris Hansen at the Public Prosecution Service.

Munroe is banned from any contact with two named individuals, must attend court as ordered, keep the peace and be of good behaviour, not leave his residence except for essential activities such as work or medical appointments, remain in Nova Scotia, not consume drugs or alcohol, not possess a cellphone or pager, have no weapons, and answer the door to police when they check at his home.

Munroe is due back in Dartmouth Provincial Court on Aug. 22 for election and plea.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1487818-break-in-suspect-shot-man-in-home-charged#.WXM6Wmvlgdg.facebook

I can't find anything on what the 3 intruders where charged with. 

23 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Entry/Exit is easy to tell.  If all shots are proven to be in the back one better have a good explanation of why intruders running away were an still an imminent threat.  Don't misunderstand me I'm not against shooting armed intruders in the back when they are running away but LE including the prosecutor will not always agree with you.   I'd rather second guess myself from the outside instead of the inside a jail cell.   

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Entry/Exit is easy to tell.  If all shots are proven to be in the back one better have a good explanation of why intruders running away were an still an imminent threat.  Don't misunderstand me I'm not against shooting armed intruders in the back when they are running away but LE including the prosecutor will not always agree with you.   I'd rather second guess myself from the outside instead of the inside a jail cell.   

My point was the frontal shots can be delivered post breathing...but quickly and with planning....they cannot exit and must be "inserted" at the correct angles of proposed attack.  Also, the correct gun and ammo are important.  .45's with hollows work best in not getting through bodies.  9mm with ball are the worst.

All that is needed is reasonable doubt.  Again, a knife/bat are the best bets.  No proscecuter will present that somebody had to defend themselves with either of the those two to the death as anything other than the final fight to protect themselves.  And wounds can be inflicted in hundreds of ways without question.

Panic after the fact is where things can go wrong and our now liberal system where you should have died or almost died before initiating deadly defense is always looking to put away the true victim .

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

My point was the frontal shots can be delivered post breathing...but quickly and with planning....they cannot exit and must be "inserted" at the correct angles of proposed attack.  Also, the correct gun and ammo are important.  .45's with hollows work best in not getting through bodies.  9mm with ball are the worst.

All that is needed is reasonable doubt.  Again, a knife/bat are the best bets.  No proscecuter will present that somebody had to defend themselves with either of the those two to the death as anything other than the final fight to protect themselves.  And wounds can be inflicted in hundreds of ways without question.

Panic after the fact is where things can go wrong and our now liberal system where you should have died or almost died before initiating deadly defense is always looking to put away the true victim .

No doubt but a lot can go wrong for investigators to pick up on.   For example it doesn't take long for wounds to be recognized as postmortem.  Better have your story together on how close they were if gunshot residue is on the front of the body.   Better hope nobody hears the timing of the shots being spaced farther apart than what you claim.  

Again I think this guy being charged with attempted murder is ridiculous and its hard to predict how one responds until you are in that situation.   All I know is I have too much to lose to shoot someone in the back unless I am completely confident I can prove my or someones life was in immediate danger.    

Just now, Highmark said:

No doubt but a lot can go wrong for investigators to pick up on.   For example it doesn't take long for wounds to be recognized as postmortem.  Better have your story together on how close they were if gunshot residue is on the front of the body.   Better hope nobody hears the timing of the shots being spaced farther apart than what you claim.  

Again I think this guy being charged with attempted murder is ridiculous and its hard to predict how one responds until you are in that situation.   All I know is I have too much to lose to shoot someone in the back unless I am completely confident I can prove my or someones life was in immediate danger.    

Oh for sure.  Planning and a cool head will prevail.  But really, whose to say anything happened at all?  In my case, that's probably the best route.  Many people wouldn't be missed.  Or if they were....my guess is they were in a hazardous line of work to begin with.

:happy:

Side funny.  There was a guy that shot two teenage meth heads in his house a year or two ago up here and put them in his basement freezer for the weekend before reporting the break in.

:lol:

I wonder what ever happened with that.

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

jesus christ. no one was raped. fuck!!

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

So,   you come home to find your wife is being brutally raped and beaten, but he turns his back to you.

guess you just let him stroll out the door and alert the authorities?????????????????

I'm asking.....genius.

Is it ok to shoot him in the back then?????????????????????

If so, please give me the guide lines for an  acceptable shoot.

How about if he kills your dog?   

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Just shoot till both clips are empty, in my case that's 32 including the 2 in the chamber both times, all the while rolling over the dead perps after the initial kill.

Shoot until they stop moving or the threat is neutralized. If you miss because you're aiming at their knees like Slinger would and they are still coming at you with zero shots left...what then? Better get to the next gun quick :snack: 

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Shoot until they stop moving or the threat is neutralized. If you miss because you're aiming at their knees like Slinger would and they are still coming at you with zero shots left...what then? Better get to the next gun quick :snack: 

Hence the second clip..lol

i'm of the belief that if you're armed you are also emotionally equipped to make the necessary decisions required to defend yourself while minimizing the possibile loss of life. including that of the home invader. the last thing i want to do is live with the idea that i killed a teenage kid that broke into my house. if he sees my shotgun and runs then i'll be grateful that he didn't force me to shoot him. that's just me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

i'm of the belief that if you're armed you are also emotionally equipped to make the necessary decisions required to defend yourself while minimizing the possibile loss of life. including that of the home invader. the last thing i want to do is live with the idea that i killed a teenage kid that broke into my house. if he sees my shotgun and runs then i'll be grateful that he didn't force me to shoot him. that's just me. 

You know...a lot of people armed but trying to defend themselves in a way you describe don't live long enough to explain your shared respect for human life.  

Trivia.  The sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round is the most recognizable sound in the world...(or it used to be).  Funny quote I read that if you are ever doing ANYTHING and you hear that sound...it's time to immediately stop what you are doing and give it a good think. :lol:  

14 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I tend to agree.   The use of deadly force must be used cautiously whether a firearm or by any other means.

However I tend to think that the homeowner should be given the benefit of a doubt when people enter a home armed and fight with the homeowners.   Attempted murder is a ridiculous charge.   Maybe there should be some excessive use of force laws that don't carry jail time.   I imagine the emotions were running pretty high after the fight and its easy to see why they felt extremely threatened.  Its not like some drunk kid walked into the wrong home here.   They came armed and you don't do that without intent to harm.