Sign in to follow this  
ckf

Damn router trouble

Recommended Posts

I bought a new modem and wireless router to replace the rentals from the cable company. i got the router activated and working fine.  When i plug the new tci router in to the modem I can't get it to assign an IP, so it won't work. my old linksys works fine plugged into the new modem. When i plug the new router into the old linksys it assigns the IP and works fine. There must be some sort of ip or mac conflict when plugged directly into the modem. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are supposed to be getting a public DHCP IP on the WAN of your new router but are not?

What WAN address does the old router get?

You are certain both routers are set to DHCP on WAN?

Neal

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So you are supposed to be getting a public DHCP IP on the WAN of your new router but are not?

What WAN address does the old router get?

You are certain both routers are set to DHCP on WAN?

Neal

 

This is next level nerd talk LaNelashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So you are supposed to be getting a public DHCP IP on the WAN of your new router but are not? 

What WAN address does the old router get?

You are certain both routers are set to DHCP on WAN?

Neal

 

Correct  the only way to get the router to obtain an IP on the wan is to run it through the old  wrt54 that runs my webcam 

Yes both are set to dhcp

28 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i had to call when i went to owning my own.  

The modem activated fine. My trouble is the new wireless router. 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is next level nerd talk LaNelashi

Nerds make the world go around  :bigfinger:

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckf said:

I bought a new modem and wireless router to replace the rentals from the cable company. i got the router activated and working fine.  When i plug the new tci router in to the modem I can't get it to assign an IP, so it won't work. my old linksys works fine plugged into the new modem. When i plug the new router into the old linksys it assigns the IP and works fine. There must be some sort of ip or mac conflict when plugged directly into the modem. Any ideas?

I am kind of supersized with the forums you run and stuff you were not more sophisticated. I think this is basic shit I bought all separate components and have changed a couple modems and a couple routers and I think if it wont let you use a dedicated IP then it must be the unit cuz anyone I have used lets you do that on the LAN. :dunno: 

  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I am kind of supersized

Now there's an understatement.

  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried opening a cmd prompt and type 

net stop dhcp then  hit enter

then type net start dhcp then hit enter?  

Also clear old ssid 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Crappie said:

Now there's an understatement.

Fat lying fraud momowned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckf said:

I bought a new modem and wireless router to replace the rentals from the cable company. i got the router activated and working fine.  When i plug the new tci router in to the modem I can't get it to assign an IP, so it won't work. my old linksys works fine plugged into the new modem. When i plug the new router into the old linksys it assigns the IP and works fine. There must be some sort of ip or mac conflict when plugged directly into the modem. Any ideas?

Plug laptop directly into the modem, do you get an IP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Plug laptop directly into the modem, do you get an IP?

Yes, the modem works fine. If i connect my laptop in to the modem with an ethernet cable it works fine. I just can't get the router to get assigned an IP unless I piggyback it off another router. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I am kind of supersized with the forums you run and stuff you were not more sophisticated. I think this is basic shit I bought all separate components and have changed a couple modems and a couple routers and I think if it wont let you use a dedicated IP then it must be the unit cuz anyone I have used lets you do that on the LAN. :dunno: 

It has to be some sort of conflict because the router and modem both function. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IP you get when laptop connected to modem, start with 10 or 172 or 192?

  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this not amateur hour dialog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Is this not amateur hour dialog.

This Amateur manages a network for a company with assets in the billions. :bc:

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SSFB said:

The IP you get when laptop connected to modem, start with 10 or 172 or 192?

It was 192 

It has to be something stupid that I'm overlooking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ckf said:

It was 192 

It has to be something stupid that I'm overlooking.

Does the new router use the same ip space on the lan? If so, that’s the issue

  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SSFB said:

This Amateur manages a network for a company with assets in the billions. :bc:

 

Not anymore.:junk:

Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Does the new router use the same ip space on the lan? If so, that’s the issue

I tried changing the last digit of the router IP to a .2 from a .1 but didn't hekp. Both the .1 and .2 IP addresses do work when the  new router is run through the  old router. I just find it odd that it won't work when it is connected directly to the modem,  but does work when it's connected to another router 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, f7ben said:

This is next level nerd talk LaNelashi

Low voltage rulez!!!!!1111

Neal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ckf said:

I tried changing the last digit of the router IP to a .2 from a .1 but didn't hekp. Both the .1 and .2 IP addresses do work when the  new router is run through the  old router. I just find it odd that it won't work when it is connected directly to the modem,  but does work when it's connected to another router 

Reset to factory and then try again.  Solves many.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ckf said:

I tried changing the last digit of the router IP to a .2 from a .1 but didn't hekp. Both the .1 and .2 IP addresses do work when the  new router is run through the  old router. I just find it odd that it won't work when it is connected directly to the modem,  but does work when it's connected to another router 

Change the entire lan network range on the router. Use 172.31.0.1 for the router lan IP

Set the dhcp range to use 172.31.0.100-200

  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Low voltage rulez!!!!!1111

Neal

I just switched jobs to switch yard and substation electrician!!!!

  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternatively, get the modem switched to bridge mode. It’s in routed mode now by the sounds of it. 

  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Alternatively, get the modem switched to bridge mode. It’s in routed mode now by the sounds of it. 

Yea, what kinda schemekles DHCP 192.168.1.xxx on their modems.

Neal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.