Check your account email address ×

“The Success of Nonviolent Civil Resistance” ~ Erica Chenoweth

• Gold Member

This is interesting,,,

“The Success of Nonviolent Civil Resistance” ~ Erica Chenoweth at TEDxBoulder
Between 1900-2006, campaigns of nonviolent civil resistance were twice as successful as violent campaigns. Erica Chenoweth, Professor of Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School and a Susan S. and Kenneth L. Wallach Professor at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, talks about her research on the impressive historical record of civil resistance in the 20th century and discuss the promise of unarmed struggle in the 21st century.
She focuses on the so-called “3.5% rule”—the notion that no government can withstand a challenge of 3.5% of its population without either accommodating the movement or (in extreme cases) disintegrating. In addition to explaining why nonviolent resistance has been so effective, she also shares some lessons learned about why it sometimes fails.

Excerpt: “... Researchers used to say that no government could survive if five percent of its population mobilized against it. But our data reveal that the threshold is probably lower. In fact, no campaigns failed once they’d achieved the active and sustained participation of just 3.5% of the population—and lots of them succeeded with far less than that [5]. Now, 3.5% is nothing to sneeze at. In the U.S. today, this means almost 11 million people.
But get this: Every single campaign that did surpass that 3.5% threshold was a nonviolent one. In fact, campaigns that relied solely on nonviolent methods were on average four times larger than the average violent campaign. And they were often much more representative in terms of gender, age, race, political party, class, and urban-rural distinctions ...”

The Script & MOREhttps://rationalinsurgent.com/2013/1...-the-3-5-rule/

The Talk

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'd like to see a huge percentage of American's simply stop paying taxes until a reasonable balanced budget amendment is passed.

Think about it.   If 50 million American's just stopped paying taxes just how many can they go after?   Have everyone give say $25 to a legal fund that helps you when the IRS actually comes knocking on your door.   You pay your back taxes and the legal fund pays the fines.   

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'd like to see a huge percentage of American's simply stop paying taxes until a reasonable balanced budget amendment is passed.

Think about it.   If 50 million American's just stopped paying taxes just how many can they go after?   Have everyone give say $25 to a legal fund that helps you when the IRS actually comes knocking on your door.   You pay your back taxes and the legal fund pays the fines.   

That's not a bad idea, it would send a VERY clear message to DC.

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I almost thought we had a chance when Trump got in and had a republican house and senate rolling into a growing economy. But... we quickly found out that they were all full of shit. Its like a runaway train now.

Edited by Anler

Just now, Kivalo said:

That's not a bad idea, it would send a VERY clear message to DC.

yeah sure try to get the majority of the country to agree on something. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I almost thought we had a chance when Trump got in and had a republican house and senate rolling into a growing economy. But... we quickly found out that there were all full of shit. Its like a runaway train now.

A simple majority is not enough to get things passed especially when the RINO's have their hands out just as much as the left.   Trump has been a major disappointment when it comes to spending.   To god damn concerned about military spending which in turn makes him cave in other areas.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

A simple majority is not enough to get things passed.   Trump has been a major disappointment when it comes to spending.   To god damn concerned about military spending which in turn makes him cave in other areas.  

Our policy of perpetual war is killing us. Its not sustainable.  

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Severely impacting us for sure but its still only 18% of the fed budget and about 9% of total govt spending when taking into account state and local.  

Don't get me wrong I want out of everywhere that don't pay for us to be there and I want massive reductions in military spending but even a 50% cut will go only so far.   Yes even military spending is a part of GDP and would have an impact on jobs.   Cutting 5% of our govt's spending would be great but its only a drop in the bucket and can't be replaced by something else.  

Edited by Highmark

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I am not sure you could find enough numbers of people upset enough by government waste to reach 11 million nevermind 50 million. No one will care until a crash. They say FAA regulations are written in blood but I think the same thing will be said of our financial system.

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

I am not sure you could find enough numbers of people upset enough by government waste to reach 11 million nevermind 50 million. No one will care until a crash. They say FAA regulations are written in blood but I think the same thing will be said of our financial system.

Oh I know its a pipe dream but man would it get them to act.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Severely impacting us for sure but its still only 20% of the fed budget and about 10% of total govt spending when taking into account state and local.  

Don't get me wrong I want out of everywhere that don't pay for us to be there and I want massive reductions in military spending but even a 50% cut will go only so far.   Yes even military spending is a part of GDP and would have an impact on jobs.  

Dude that is some bullshit stats. Plenty of state and local debts are thru the roof too. And state and local have nothing to do with our war policy as a nation. Trillion dollar deficit and the military budget is quickly approaching that number. Not to mention the other agencies they pull from to hide their gluttoness spending. 

Just now, Anler said:

Dude that is some bullshit stats. Plenty of state and local debts are thru the roof too. And state and local have nothing to do with our war policy as a nation. Trillion dollar deficit and the military budget is quickly approaching that number. Not to mention the other agencies they pull from to hide their gluttoness spending. 

Dude its not bullshit stat's.   Current military budget is around $859 billion (I had that figure wrong) and current fed budget is around $4.1 trillion. (20.9%)

State's and local total spend about equal with the fed govt but virtually nothing on defense.   

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/total

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Quit trying to sugarcoat it for fucks sake.

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/costs/economic

Not at all.   Just looking at it factually unlike your link.

Both wars were huge mistakes.   Afg more so on how it was ran than the idea of it.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I've long said the way to get DC's attention is to resist the IRS in large numbers.  But look, they are rarely mentioned on any of these little "bitches" we have here.  The IRS has done a great job of scaring the shit out of Americans so much so that they don't even get a mention in what might be wrong.  It's actually quite impressive.

56 minutes ago, Anler said:

:lol: 

Related image

37 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not at all.   Just looking at it factually unlike your link.

Both wars were huge mistakes.   Afg more so on how it was ran than the idea of it.  

So you quote the defense budget and act like that’s the only cost...seems legit.