Check your account email address ×

... WTF? ...

The US tried to convert to the Metric system way back in 1975 which was supposed to take about 10 years, I recall this very well how the people and manufacturers opposed it enough that it was never completely implemented, I believe we are gradually on course to have it eventually as many things are now all Metric or half and half.

27 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

The US tried to convert to the Metric system way back in 1975 which was supposed to take about 10 years, I recall this very well how the people and manufacturers opposed it enough that it was never completely implemented, I believe we are gradually on course to have it eventually as many things are now all Metric or half and half.

I remember getting it in school at the time.

Thought what the fook is this all about?

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

I remember getting it in school at the time.

Thought what the fook is this all about?

I worked in Engineering, we didn't use Metric, but some equipment used for measurements used tenths & hundredths, 10 tenths equaled a foot, very similar the Metrics..

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I worked in Engineering, we didn't use Metric, but some equipment used for measurements used tenths & hundredths, 10 tenths equaled a foot, very similar the Metrics..

Much like breaking the hour down to 1/10ths.

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

Much like breaking the hour down to 1/10ths.

You ever add/subtract degrees, minutes, seconds?? Learned how to do that back in grade school in the 1950's, it seemed very strange to me back then.

Just now, XCR1250 said:

You ever add/subtract degrees, minutes, seconds?? Learned how to do that back in grade school in the 1950's, it seemed very strange to me back then.

Not in a school setting, but as an instructor in map reading, I have indeed.

5 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

What was wrong with twelfths?

Neal

Engineering doesn't use inches for some things, still other things they do, an example is when we worked with Carpenters it was only inches, same with Steel Workers, steel beams or pre-stressed concrete which are in inches.

Micrometers and similar devices are also NORMALLY not in inches although I have some which read both.

Edited by XCR1250

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Engineering doesn't use inches for some things, still other things they do, an example is when we worked with Carpenters it was only inches, same with Steel Workers, steel beams or pre-stressed concrete which are in inches.

Micrometers and similar devices are also NORMALLY not in inches although I have some which read both.

Yes, but none of that deals with 10ths of a foot...

Why use 10ths of a foot instead of 12ths?

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yes, but none of that deals with 10ths of a foot...

Why use 10ths of a foot instead of 12ths?

Neal

You'd need to ask an Engineering College about that, I don't have the answer..I still have many measuring devices which use 10's & hundredths..including 50 and 100 foot cloth and steel tapes, notice they are 50 & 100 "feet" long.

49 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Ask any machinist to take a "cunt hair" off they know it's 3 thou, as in 3 one thousandths of an inch :lol:

As opposed to a full cunt which is a 400 lb Momo...

• Haha 1