Check your account email address ×

Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

1 hour ago, dirtybeacher said:

The duck is a retarded idea from an inept marketing team.  There's a billion better features available.  

I have the feeling no matter what was done would not be to your liking.  Many countries across the globe disagree with you lol.

Name something, just one you would have liked to see since there are a billion of them

45 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I have the feeling no matter what was done would not be to your liking.  Many countries across the globe disagree with you lol.

Name something, just one you would have liked to see since there are a billion of them

Instead of a duck, it should of been a beaver. 

12 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Instead of a duck, it should of been a beaver. 

How about a cartoon Mountie in a canoe? At least those are 2 things related to Canada. 

The people that are flocking to see the duck are the same people that think the TORONTO sign in Nathan Phillips Square is a great tourism attraction.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

How about a cartoon Mountie in a canoe? At least those are 2 things related to Canada. 

The people that are flocking to see the duck are the same people that think the TORONTO sign in Nathan Phillips Square is a great tourism attraction.

no doubt one of the number one picture taking spots in Toronto

The Chicago mirror ball thing is really cool too, but not for you guys I bet

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/hp/CHIHSHX/en_US/img/shared/full_page_image_gallery/main/HX_bean2_45_425x303_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Edited by 1trailmaker

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

The Chicago mirror ball thing is really cool too, but not for you guys I bet

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/hp/CHIHSHX/en_US/img/shared/full_page_image_gallery/main/HX_bean2_45_425x303_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Of course dumb tourists will snap a photo of it.  Hey look at me I'm in Toronto, see the sign.  

Zero comparison to the mirror ball.

Take a photo of the CN Tower in the background or something, not one of an Asian tourist.

• Like 1

About 10 years ago on the eastbound Canadian between Winterpeg & Toronto. I was talking to a German girl that was travelling in Canada. She had a couple of days to kill in T.O. before her bus trip departed for Algonquin. I told her about the ROM & AGO. She says, "Why would I want to go to a museum? We have them at home". She wanted to spend her time outdoors (September). I told her about the boardwalk & Martin Goodman Trail along the waterfront. She said that sounded more interesting.

Edited by revrnd

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

I guess nobody took pics in T.O. before that sign was put up then.

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I guess nobody took pics in T.O. before that sign was put up then.

sure they did, but now they take them standing in the letters.

I was in Charlettown and they had a big 2017 on the water edge, click click

You must be new to the country?

Only province I haven't been to is Newfoundland. Visited the Yukon in '05. I probably have a pic somewhere of this from a cross country trip in '95:

vegreville.jpg

Edited by revrnd

Did the duck draw people or the holiday being on a Saturday?

With the Saturday holiday it gave people the day and ability to attend functions and not have to worry about being home early to put kids in bed and get ready for work the next day.  People were more open to doing things on Saturday then a Monday.

I know that the Canada Day celebrations in Milton appeared to have way more people at it this year.  Local streets around fairgrounds were packed and cars were parked everywhere.   I did not go but can watch the traffic leaving after the fireworks at night.  traffic was packed coming out of the area for well over an hour.  Much higher then we i have seen in the past. 

4 hours ago, Sksman said:

Did the duck draw people or the holiday being on a Saturday?

With the Saturday holiday it gave people the day and ability to attend functions and not have to worry about being home early to put kids in bed and get ready for work the next day.  People were more open to doing things on Saturday then a Monday.

I know that the Canada Day celebrations in Milton appeared to have way more people at it this year.  Local streets around fairgrounds were packed and cars were parked everywhere.   I did not go but can watch the traffic leaving after the fireworks at night.  traffic was packed coming out of the area for well over an hour.  Much higher then we i have seen in the past. 

150 would bring out more people in general last year was a Friday so I don't see how this report makes a difference, the duck just happened to help triple its numbers for this event compared to all of the other years of the event and these numbers are common world wide where ever the ducky has been. 

Lets see if other FESTS increase their numbers

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, Poncho said:

I will be 107.....what's the big deal.....see you there

I'll be 111... see you there for the return of the rubber duck...

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Poncho said:

It is OK at best..try Sweden or Austria and the likes.  The Harbour is nice but not a world contender....no even close.....you need to get out once and awhile.....lol

Don't forget that to operate a boat in Toronto Harbour legally you also need a Powered Vessel Operator’s Permit is issued by the Toronto Port Authority

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, revrnd said:

You should've sent them to Algonquin. When I was up there earlier this spring I saw a few notices that the free national park pass was not valid.

Yup... Algonquin is provincial and no freebie there... only the National Parks.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, 1trailmaker said:

well lets wait until it goes to the Saulte ste Marie later in a week or two and judge the north attendance ,  I am going to bet Midland will be packed in 3 weeks to see ducky.

I see real ducks daily, not a big deal at all to me

I bet the Midland Butter Tart Festival is a bigger draw than the rubber duck... I bet turning the main street of Penetang into a giant water slide is a better draw also. Both a lot less expensive than the duck.

https://events.com/r/en_US/registration/urban-slide----penetanguishene-penetanguishene-july-8781

4 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I bet the Midland Butter Tart Festival is a bigger draw than the rubber duck... I bet turning the main street of Penetang into a giant water slide is a better draw also. Both a lot less expensive than the duck.

https://events.com/r/en_US/registration/urban-slide----penetanguishene-penetanguishene-july-8781

Its apart of a Midland Fest, just like Toronto beach fest and ste marie, brockville ect.    All have festivals that include the duck this year. 

are you sure its cheaper? 10 bucks a person per ride doesn't sound cheap to me.......

Have you registered yet?

13 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Its apart of a Midland Fest, just like Toronto beach fest and ste marie, brockville ect.    All have festivals that include the duck this year. 

are you sure its cheaper? 10 bucks a person per ride doesn't sound cheap to me.......

Have you registered yet?

or $45 for unlimited all day long... guess what Fail... one big difference. The taxpayer pays for the rubber ducky that you get to go ooh aah over. The taxpayer isn't paying for the slide. Those who want to go down it are paying and those that don't want to won't be paying for it.

Another point is Penetang is not part of Midland. Two separate towns so to say the Urban Slide being in Penetang is part of Midland Fest is just wrong. The Midland Tug Fest will also likely be a much larger draw than the rubber ducky and doesn't cost the taxpayer anything either. The no cost to the taxpayer Midland Butter Tart Festival 2016 drew 43,000 people.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

or $45 for unlimited all day long... guess what Fail... one big difference. The taxpayer pays for the rubber ducky that you get to go ooh aah over. The taxpayer isn't paying for the slide. Those who want to go down it are paying and those that don't want to won't be paying for it.

Another point is Penetang is not part of Midland. Two separate towns so to say the Urban Slide being in Penetang is part of Midland Fest is just wrong. The Midland Tug Fest will also likely be a much larger draw than the rubber ducky and doesn't cost the taxpayer anything either. The no cost to the taxpayer Midland Butter Tart Festival 2016 drew 43,000 people.

keep thinking closing down a main street costs nothing.....

There was millions of dollars spent on fireworks alone with taxpayers money, yet no mention of it.  Why? what a waste

5 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

keep thinking closing down a main street costs nothing.....

There was millions of dollars spent on fireworks alone with taxpayers money, yet no mention of it.  Why? what a waste

Are you really part of the same world as the rest of us? Have you ever been to Midland or Penetang? In Midland shutting down King St. is nothing more than a few barricades for traffic. Ask the business owners what they think of shutting down King St. for the butter tart festival. They love it. The entire street is swarming with 43,000 people for the one day event. All spending lots of their money in the shops, the restaurants, the local motels/hotels, the gas stations and of course the butter tarts. Kind of offsets the miniscule cost of the traffic barriers.

The same for Main St Penetang. They take advantage of the rapid decent of the road toward the waterfront for the slide. Again a few traffic barriers and lots of people spending lots of money in lots of local businesses. Dock Lunch at the bottom of the street is usually a busy place regardless. It was a zoo last year for the water slide. The local stores along Main St. loved it since they were all very busy making money.

Everyone likes fireworks. Many of the fireworks displays across the country were funded without taxpayer money to celebrate the 150th. Cottage Associations, Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis and many civic organizations put on fireworks without taxpayer money.

A rubber ducky is nothing more than that. A yup, that's one big rubber duck... next. It's a lame entertainment value. Kind of reminds me of National Lampoons Vacation with Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon.

• Like 1

http://www.chextv.com/2017/07/06/eight-charged-after-enforcement-blitz-at-local-fish-sanctuaries/?sc_ref=facebook

Eight charged after enforcement blitz at local fish sanctuaries

Peterborough, ON, Canada / CHEX TV
July 06, 2017 01:44 pm

Eight Greater Toronto Area residents have been fined a total of $4,750 for fishing offences.

Guoxin Zhang,of Toronto, Marko Mihailovic of Toronto, Ian Martin of North York, and Liqiang Liu of Scarborough pleaded guilty and were each fined $500 for fishing in a fish sanctuary.

Xianlin Yu and Qi Wen He of Markham pleaded guilty and were each fined $750 for fishing in a fish sanctuary.

Se King Wu of Markham pleaded guilty and was fined $500 for fishing without a licence. In addition, the MNRF says Wu was observed throwing his bucket into the water as a conservation officer approached him, which prevented the officer from inspecting the contents.

Cong Luu of Toronto pleaded guilty and was fined $500 for fishing in a fish sanctuary and $250 for fishing without a licence.

The court heard that the charges were laid by conservation officers between May 12 and 19, 2017, during an enforcement blitz focused on illegal activity around fish sanctuaries in the City of Kawartha Lakes.

I guess he knew what he was doing was illegal.