Check your account email address ×

Faggot ass farmers

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Large family farms seem to be squeezing on the small operations.  :(

Neal

I won't deny that one bit.   See it all over my area.  3-4 large family operations buy up everything they can.  

Edited by Highmark

It's a little different up here, but there are very few "new" small farms here.  They have mostly scaled up to be viable.  The remaining small ones are older farmers that get bought up by others when they decide to pack it in.  

I think the average farm size here is almost 2000 acres.  

1 minute ago, sledderj said:

It's a little different up here, but there are very few "new" small farms here.  They have mostly scaled up to be viable.  The remaining small ones are older farmers that get bought up by others when they decide to pack it in.  

I think the average farm size here is almost 2000 acres.  

Yep.   Spread out the costs (equipment) involved.  Virtually impossible for someone to start a small farm up without help from family.  Who in their right mind loans them the money when profits are so low.  

My dad’s bud had a big farm in Iowa. His kids were not interested in farming so he sold out and retired. He says this has happened to just about all his farmer buds. Kids go off to college and very few come back.

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My dad’s bud had a big farm in Iowa. His kids were not interested in farming so he sold out and retired. He says this has happened to just about all his farmer buds. Kids go off to college and very few come back.

Its a mix around me.  Lots stay or come back after taking ag degree's, lots choose different career's.   When the main or only buyers are those larger family farms then they just get larger and larger.  

Not hard to turn down $9000/Acre when rent might only get you $200-$300 acre.  

Edited by Highmark

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

My dads family were lots of farmers and even my buds around here who grew up on farms made a shit ton more money in real estate than they did farming. One of my buds dad made millions selling his farm. 

11 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

More likely that would happen at a factory chicken operation. 3-4 chickens in the back yard aren't causing an epidemic. :lol:

they ain't feeding anybody either.  They're pets for christ's sake, and those people buy the chicken they consume at a store.

11 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Large family farms seem to be squeezing on the small operations.  :(

Neal

Who in their right mind would want to farm dad's half to try to make a living?

Lots of people look at that or their part of grandma and grandpa's quarter as their ticket to a lake cabin and a new Mercedes.