Check your account email address ×

Medical costs of the Las Vegas shooting

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

And likewise for private insurance, wherein we have decades of payment costs.

Neal

My point is the vast, vast majority of the cost is in the care itself.   Other countries control what doctors, nurses, lab tech's basically everyone in the industry makes by controlling what is paid out or they are employed by the govt itself.   If you want that in America fine, I don't.   I want to find ways to bring down costs in other ways.  

Just now, Highmark said:

My point is the vast, vast majority of the cost is in the care itself.   Other countries control what doctors, nurses, lab tech's basically everyone in the industry makes by controlling what is paid out or they are employed by the govt itself.   If you want that in America fine, I don't.   I want to find ways to bring down costs in other ways.  

I want the ability for our country to provide excellent care to all it's citizens.  I want a system that's affordable, and just.  

Neal

19 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I want the ability for our country to provide excellent care to all it's citizens.  I want a system that's affordable, and just.  

Neal

As do I, I just don't want the govt controlling my care anymore than they do now.  

10 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Explain.

Neal

Remove HCI regulations.   Allow interstate pools to get larger groups negotiating better deals.  Same groups should be allowed to negotiate drugs.   People have to feel they have some skin in the game.   Obamacare taxed so called Cadillac plans because they said they were too good and people abused them by going to the doctor too much.   I find that hilarious considering what happens under a single payer system that carries no deductible for everyone in the country.  

I'm not opposed to forcing everyone to carry some type of insurance.   What I oppose is the govt controlling/running it or forcing certain types of HCI on people that don't need some types of coverage.   Making people in their 50's pay for maternity care is nuts.  Making homosexual male couples pay for its nuts as well.   The mandatory coverage should be for catastrophic care only and the fine/tax should be equal to the cost of the care.  Not some slap on the wrist that allows them to jump in when they get sick with no other penalty.   Obamacare was a failure because too many people didn't sign up because the plans were too comprehensive and it snowballed into the insurance costing people way to much....even those who needed it most.  

In essence, allow more choice, allow more competition and there should be a benefit to living healthy and a cost to not living healthy, not one size fits all.    

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Remove HCI regulations.   Allow interstate pools to get larger groups negotiating better deals.  Same groups should be allowed to negotiate drugs.   People have to feel they have some skin in the game.   Obamacare taxed so called Cadillac plans because they said they were too good and people abused them by going to the doctor too much.   I find that hilarious considering what happens under a single payer system that carries no deductible for everyone in the country.  

I'm not opposed to forcing everyone to carry some type of insurance.   What I oppose is the govt controlling/running it or forcing certain types of HCI on people that don't need some types of coverage.   Making people in their 50's pay for maternity care is nuts.  Making homosexual male couples pay for its nuts as well.   The mandatory coverage should be for catastrophic care only and the fine/tax should be equal to the cost of the care.  Not some slap on the wrist that allows them to jump in when they get sick with no other penalty.   Obamacare was a failure because too many people didn't sign up because the plans were too comprehensive and it snowballed into the insurance costing people way to much....even those who needed it most.  

In essence, allow more choice, allow more competition and there should be a benefit to living healthy and a cost to not living healthy, not one size fits all.    

So make unregulated HCI conglomerations, who will dictate our health care.  Fantastic!

What a fucking idiotic joke.

Neal

17 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So make unregulated HCI conglomerations, who will dictate our health care.  Fantastic!

What a fucking idiotic joke.

Neal

Yes because single payer federal govt controlled insurance deciding who gets what care and when would be like a mom and pop ran company.  :lol:  

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So your system ends up exactly the same as single payer.  Laughable.  

Neal

Jesus dude nothing of the sort.  

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Not one person in this country would have been denied that care.   Both were considered life threatening.   

You are joking with this Shit right?

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

My private insurance is incredible.   Not one single complaint and had two major health issues with kids in the past 6 years.   One son had a benign tumor removed from his vertebrae/spine (look up Osteoblastoma) and the other had a severe clot from thoracic outlet syndrome spent a week in intensive care and had his first rib removed to prevent further occurrences.  Between the 2 over $500K in medical bills of which we were responsible for $1400 TOTAL.   

I’m in the hospital in Boston currently after having my rib removed for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Had the right side removed last year. 

Edited by Dieselgeek

4 minutes ago, Dieselgeek said:

I’m in the hospital in Boston currently after having my rib removed for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Had the right side removed last year. 

Damn dude...here's to a speedy recovery. :thumb:

My private insurance is incredible.   Not one single complaint and had two major health issues with kids in the past 6 years.   One son had a benign tumor removed from his vertebrae/spine (look up Osteoblastoma) and the other had a severe clot from thoracic outlet syndrome spent a week in intensive care and had his first rib removed to prevent further occurrences.  Between the 2 over $500K in medical bills of which we were responsible for $1400 TOTAL.   

well good for you but that is not the norm for many people in this country where in the rest of the first world countries that type of care is available to all without placing unfair burdens on them.  

5 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Why are other countries with better healthcare on average able to cover everyone for 1/3-1/2 the cost per captita? 

I'll let you list why single payer will reduce costs then I'll counter with why they won't....at least to the extent "other countries" pay.   Go...

In other countries everyone is covered - prevention is cheaper than waiting. Governments negotiate prices with Pharma and insurance and in some cases set prices.  It works.  

The shit yunjust explained makes no sense - just like most of your opinions.  UHC/Single payer is proven to be better in average for a fraction of the cost.  Where has you fucked up idea been proven? 

1 minute ago, Biggie Smails said:

Damn dude...here's to a speedy recovery. :thumb:

Thanks! I had surgery Thursday the 19th, discharged on the 21st. Came for a follow up on the 23rd, and was told I had a collapsed lung. So re-admitted, chest tube put in, and lung is inflated again. Risk of surgery unfortunately. I’ve been away from my family for 7 days now. Should be cleared to fly Friday night or Saturday. 

• Like 1

Amd you have the audacity to complain about insurance premiums/rates....??  

44 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

You are joking with this Shit right?

Nope.   My uncle had an aggressive malignant brain tumor years ago.   Self employed never had ANY health insurance.   He had multiple surgeries and treatments including a chemo wafer put in the location of the tumor.   Never lost anything.   

Just now, SnowRider said:

Amd you have the audacity to complain about insurance premiums/rates....??  

I've not been one to complain much about my rates when I hear what others pay.   I've ALWAYS said my insurance is EXCELLENT.   Why do you think I don't want single payer?  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Nope.   My uncle had an aggressive malignant brain tumor years ago.   Self employed never had ANY health insurance.   He had multiple surgeries and treatments including a chemo wafer put in the location of the tumor.   Never lost anything.   

How did he pay for it?

Edited by SnowRider

13 minutes ago, Dieselgeek said:

Good luck.   The surgery wasn't nearly the scare the blood clot was.   

Lots of MLB players are going thru this.   Some just pinching a nerve other the artery or vein like my son.   Matt Harvey is probably the most prominent.  

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

How did he pay for it?

Yeah I'd like to hear this one too.

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

How did he pay for it?

I have no clue.   I'm guessing it was adsorbed and passed on just like everyone else who can't pay.  He was a self employed general carpenter that I don't think made a ton of money.   Its possible they got him on Medicaid.  His sister (my aunt) worked in a hospital and was doing all the financial work.  Only think I know is that the guy didn't have any insurance.

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

I have no clue.   I'm guessing it was adsorbed and passed on just like everyone else who can't pay.  He was a self employed general carpenter that I don't think made a ton of money.   Its possible they got him on Medicaid.  

Yeah that isn't how it works.

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Yeah that isn't how it works.

Well unless his sister pulled some other magic strings I'm telling you what happened.   The family was starting to try and raise money thru fundraisers and what not but nothing could touch these size bills and he was very well taken care of.