Check your account email address ×

Bad News, I lost another drone :(

ckf

• Gold Member

Hey Crockpot, I just got flown over by a drone and I followed it out into the back yard and it proceeded to fly in a direction where the nearest person would be at least a 1/3 of a mile away. Just what is the range of these things?

Edited by Kivalo

3 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Hey Crockpot, I just got flown over by a drone and I followed it out into the back yard and it proceeded to fly in a direction where the nearest person would be at least a 1/3 of a mile away. Just what is the range of these things?

Me and a buddy put one out to about a mile and half before it was out of video range.  There are other long range systems that run on VHF band instead of the 2.4 and 5.8 band most of the off the shelf drones run on that can put you out a few miles to say the least. No to mention the flight boards now can be programmed to run off of GPS which means they could fly beyond radio range and then turn around and  fly back towards the radio link after completing an assigned task.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

Me and a buddy put one out to about a mile and half before it was out of video range.  There are other long range systems that run on VHF band instead of the 2.4 and 5.8 band most of the off the shelf drones run on that can put you out a few miles to say the least. No to mention the flight boards now can be programmed to run off of GPS which means they could fly beyond radio range and then turn around and  fly back towards the radio link after completing an assigned task.

Holy shit! I had no idea they were that far in range!

Im getting my shot gun out for the next flyover!  @ckf, I'll give you whats left, it seems like you need it!!! :lol:

7 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

the GPS stuff is what creeps me out... not for the camera footage per say, but the other things it can be programmed to do. motors and battery prices are getting low enough that payloads are getting pretty high. imagine how many of these things are running back and forth across the mexican border already.

3 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Im getting my shot gun out for the next flyover!  @ckf, I'll give you whats left, it seems like you need it!!! :lol:

you see the "live feed" from CKF's?? good chance they would have video of you shooting it down.

CKF, you weren't able to go retreive it to determine cause of the loss?? I would want to know if it was battery or chipset. could have been the ESC as well??

19 hours ago, ckf said:

I watched the cached version on my tablet. I was backing up and the video just stops. Very strange.

I don't think so. The battery clicks in and it's pretty solid.

You jinxed yourself the other day.

19 hours ago, Woodtick said:

You all know what is coming next, que The contributing membership renewals.:popcornchair:

:lol: I can see the notice now.    

Due to some unforeseen site "expenses" , I'm gonna have to double the rate for CMs in the future. Thanks for your understanding. ~Dronesinkerfuckstick 

18 hours ago, dz246 said:

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!1 :lol:

Poor dronesinkerKF....

See above :lmao: 

16 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

See below.

Let him use the chopper.

:lol:

16 hours ago, Momorider said:

:fuckoff:penis-head.jpg

:lol:   Mow M :owned:

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

:lol:

Don't become a real pilot.

Sucks for sure.

Poor OnetomanyBenny :lol:

7 hours ago, ckf said:

It's supposed to. I think it may have dropped out of the sky after the battery failed. Here's the video feed that was cached on my tablet.

Ya think? :lol::lmao:

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

the guy I go flying with has a double PhD in biology and physics and would be the last guys drone you would want to bird shot as it flew over your place.  Not to mention a good number of the high end drones are being used to do land survey work among other tasks so you will more than likely get sued after you get out of jail.  

2 hours ago, Catalina said:

Bird strike? Maybe the sound pissed off a Hawk or something. 

Too bad you didn't have Sully as a co-pilot...

Nope, turns out it went behind a mountain and lost connection. It probably tried to return to home but the mountain was higher than my RTH height setting of 75 meters. So, the obstacle avoidance probably caused  it to stop when it came to the side of the hill and hover until it ran low on battery. When it gets to 10% it auto lands. A friend and I tried to find it today, but didn't have any luck It's very rugged terrain. 

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

The furthest I've had mine is just over 11,000 feet

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Seems like an expensive hobby at this rate.

Cost of doing business I guess. One a year at a grand a pop isn't bad, but it does suck.

1 hour ago, revkev6 said:

the GPS stuff is what creeps me out... not for the camera footage per say, but the other things it can be programmed to do. motors and battery prices are getting low enough that payloads are getting pretty high. imagine how many of these things are running back and forth across the mexican border already.

you see the "live feed" from CKF's?? good chance they would have video of you shooting it down.

CKF, you weren't able to go retreive it to determine cause of the loss?? I would want to know if it was battery or chipset. could have been the ESC as well??

See above :bc:

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

the guy I go flying with has a double PhD in biology and physics and would be the last guys drone you would want to bird shot as it flew over your place.  Not to mention a good number of the high end drones are being used to do land survey work among other tasks so you will more than likely get sued after you get out of jail.  

If it hovers to long, its getting shot at. :bc:

I looked up the towns use of drones and found and article about our lake Assosiation using drones to monitor algae blooms and it just so happens we had a bloom yesterday and there is still a good amount of algae present today.

4 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Shooting down a drone carries the same penalty as shooting down an airplane. Probably not a good idea :lol: 

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

If it hovers to long, its getting shot at. :bc:

I looked up the towns use of drones and found and article about our lake Assosiation using drones to monitor algae blooms and it just so happens we had a bloom yesterday and there is still a good amount of algae present today.

Just now, ckf said:

Shooting down a drone carries the same penalty as shooting down an airplane. Probably not a good idea :lol: 

Just now, ckf said:

I was going to say even at my level I had to register with the FAA and I know that some have more comprehensive licences than my crappy little 400ft alt off the shelf UAV licence. the survey guys are just like any surveyor in as much as they have certain rights to be on and over properties in general.  

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Nope, turns out it went behind a mountain and lost connection. It probably tried to return to home but the mountain was higher than my RTH height setting of 75 meters. So, the obstacle avoidance probably caused  it to stop when it came to the side of the hill and hover until it ran low on battery. When it gets to 10% it auto lands. A friend and I tried to find it today, but didn't have any luck It's very rugged terrain. 

Cost of doing business I guess. One a year at a grand a pop isn't bad, but it does suck.

sounds like doing a little survey on your surroundings before takeoff might save you some cash :lol:

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

I said this to you before but now that you have some flight time under your belt it might be a good time to start looking into making your own copter or even a camera plane. would be a lot cheaper than buying DJI stuff.

2 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

sounds like doing a little survey on your surroundings before takeoff might save you some cash :lol:

Totally my fault. I thought I was flying a different flight path. In hindsight I should have flown forward and reversed the footage in post. Lesson learned. It just sucks that these lessons cost $1000 a piece.

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

I find that rather hard to believe. :dunno:

Look it up.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I said this to you before but now that you have some flight time under your belt it might be a good time to start looking into making your own copter or even a camera plane. would be a lot cheaper than buying DJI stuff.

You are probably right. I just like the tech and cameras of the DJI stuff. My next one will have smart RTH. It will take the same path back that it used to get there instead of taking the shortest path home.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Totally my fault. I thought I was flying a different flight path. In hindsight I should have flown forward and reversed the footage in post. Lesson learned. It just sucks that these lessons cost $1000 a piece.

Look it up.

You are probably right. I just like the tech and cameras of the DJI stuff. My next one will have smart RTH. It will take the same path back that it used to get there instead of taking the shortest path home.

one of the guys in the local club has a flame wheel with 8 motors and he uses a standard Canon camera mounted on a gimbal as his video camera. I swear that thing could pickup a small child or dog. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

one of the guys in the local club has a flame wheel with 8 motors and he uses a standard Canon camera mounted on a gimbal as his video camera. I swear that thing could pickup a small child or dog. 

That's awesome! I'd love to have one of these bad boys, but you are talking $5K by the time you add the micro 4/3 camera. It would be great to be able to change lenses for different perspective. http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-2

A rite wing Drak will do 100 mph and is a rock solid camera platform. Wings and FPV planes have more range and endurance and for the most part are a fraction of the cost of DJI. Not to mention you could get a real radio like a Taranis which can be setup with multiple planes and quads and just about every radio frequency there is. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ckf said:

That's awesome! I'd love to have one of these bad boys, but you are talking $5K by the time you add the micro 4/3 camera. It would be great to be able to change lenses for different perspective. http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-2

A rolling chassis DJI flame wheel is like $200 which gives you motors and esc's so you just need to add a flight controller board and a radio to get in the air. even the small flame wheel will hold a couple of cameras ( ie gimbal mount and Fpv cameras). Most of the flight software is free Beta flight, Clean Flight, etc, etc

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/

Basic FPV planes and wings start around $100 bucks.

8 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

Problem with planes is takeoff and landing... lots of people have problem with that portion... nevermind not necessarily having a runway near where u need it. 

Most of the wings can get in and out of a pretty small area.  Hell I do most of my flying on a soccer field.