Check your account email address ×

Houston Mayor

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Come on kids lets get into the bath tub and ride this out. It's utterly pointless to try and leave or get to high ground or simply do anything to better our situation...I read it on the internet. Next they'll be bitching about the people who stayed to ride it out...stay tuned. Whiny fucks on the internet got nothing better to do then complain and argue be condescending and above it all cuntish. You go girls!  

who in the hell is advocating any of that? you are grabbing at straws dude.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

not really. you're trying to turn this subject from "why can't people leave Houston" to "people should do what they can". it's plain as day.

Look at you trying to force your version! :lol: Jesus you'll argue anything even when I said nothing of the sort. Actually you said something more along those lines then I did with your "I have money to fly out and stay anywhere I like" comment. 

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

Asking for help is out of the question I see. Asking the church or other community members for some sort of assistance knowing a cat 3 storm is bearing down on then apparently is out of the question in your mind. As long as you have your $$$ to fly and stay wherever you want like you claimed then it must be impossible for the down trodden people of to make it to safety

oh fuck

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

so tell us racer, how would a family with kids, pets and other valuables, who are struggling to get by, with no friends or family near the Houston area, get out of town on short notice? your inability to see all the major problems with this is no surprise to anyone. you're just plain stupid.

Ummm. Exactly. :bc: 

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Yep.   The greater Houston area is 4 million people.   Not a simple task. 

5.6 million to be a little more accurate. 

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Does a mandatory evacuation mean they have to get everyone out who can't get themselves out?   People simply don't understand what that takes.   Besides the massive need for transport vehicles and places to stay the logistics of knowing who needs help and who doesn't is overwhelming.   I've seen around 10 fatalities from the storm.   I'd say Texas did some things right losing that few with  a storm of this magnitude. 

Another good post from someone who actually thinks before they post. :bc:  

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

4th largest city in America and some people think you just load up the family truckster and head to Wally World for the duration....WTF.

Crazy isn't it.  

2 hours ago, old indy said:

Anyone living in and around Houston is well versed in how easily the area floods. look at how many times its happened in the last twenty years.        i lived there till i was 6 (Pasadena)and ANY time storms were forecast, even in the early 60s...  everyone fled to higher ground.  not so easy to find either. but they did. camped out right in the streets. cars,trucks,  rvs, tents! would line the roads where it had some elevation.      Today people are tards. they think they can beat mother nature or simply count on someone ELSE to save/bail them out.  So many that could have left the coast didnt. just plain stupid. not to bash those that couldnt as many cant. its the rest that deserve a bitch slap.

Bingo. :bc: 

This has been going on in Houston for a century.  Houston is built on a series of drainage canals they call bayous.  These bayous are 20-30' deep and help divert the rain water to nearby rivers and lakes and on to the Gulf of Mexico.  Many of these bayous are nearly dry 95% of the year. Anyone who has lived in Houston for any length of time knows that 4" of rain is going to raise the water level in the bayou 4'.  The bayous fill up fast and they drain down fairly fast once the rain stops.  The problem is when you get +20" of rain in a short period of time none of the bayous or lakes can keep up with the torrent and everything backs up.  

Houston is only about 80' above sea level on average.  Much of houston is less than 80' ASL.  With all the over and underpasses around the city traffic comes to a standstill with anything over 5" or 6" of rain.  

I'm not surprised by all the armchair quarterbacks around here but I am surprised who they are. :flush: 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Some natural disasters simply cannot be prepared for.   Unfortunately this is one of them.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Some natural disasters simply cannot be prepared for.   Unfortunately this is one of them.

Exactly.  Even with proper warning it's very difficult for everyone to be prepared.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

No one was really predicting a storm of this magnitude if I recall correctly. 

I saw numerous weather forecasters saying this was going to be a massive, dangerous storm, BECAUSE OF THE RAINFALL.