Check your account email address ×

****2024 Garden Thread****

It's getting to be that time of year again. I just started a 12 pack of tomatoes yesterday.  6 cherry tomatoes and 6 early fruiting tomatoes.vThat should give them about 6 weeks under the grow lights before going outside around June 1st.

Anyone else start their own seeds inside or do you buy the plants when it is time to plant?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The pansies are in….lol

When can you normally plant the more tender plants like tomatoes? When we were in Ossipee it was usually sometime around May 20th. Here in IP it's around the 1st of June.

2 hours ago, ckf said:

When can you normally plant the more tender plants like tomatoes? When we were in Ossipee it was usually sometime around May 20th. Here in IP it's around the 1st of June.

Around Mother’s Day.

26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Around Mother’s Day.

The growing season is pretty short up here.  My little semi-greenhouse definitely helps up here for warm weather fruit like tomatoes.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

Wife's been hounding me for a white Star Magnolia for over month now....can't seem to find them anywhere. Have a couple nurserys that are supposed to call when in .   

• Like 1

I definitely don't have a green thumb and my wife plants some flowers every year so that's our extent of gardening.

We have a couple local farmers that will bring in produce and set up a small stand at a couple locations around town that we buy from. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

The growing season is pretty short up here.  My little semi-greenhouse definitely helps up here for warm weather fruit like tomatoes.

The days are over having a garden. Seems shooting 10 million rodents over the years finally caused the stoppage. Not being home for a few days at a time didn’t really help either. I have 2 great friends that own farms and grow everything so just stopping and buying what we want is convenient. 

• Like 1

1st round of peas are planted, started planting onions and carrots.  1st round of sweet corn will probably go in soon.

Put potatoes in the garden on Sunday.  Waiting for everything else.  1st year we'll be able to pick asparagus too.  

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 4:29 PM, steve from amherst said:

Wife will be starting all of the veggies from seedlings in the greenhouse within the next 2 weeks provided she is feeling ok.

I hope your wife is on the mend.

I just looked this afternoon and there are 2 of the 12 tomatoes are above ground. I'll check again tomorrow to see how many more have germinated.

• Thanks 1

8 of the 12 tomatoes that I started last Monday are up.  The variety on the bottom 6 were a little slower to germinate.

PXL_20240422_193614166-01.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 4/18/2024 at 2:42 PM, ckf said:

I hope your wife is on the mend.

I just looked this afternoon and there are 2 of the 12 tomatoes are above ground. I'll check again tomorrow to see how many more have germinated.

She had 2nd round of chemo last wednesday. Fucked her up a lot worse then the first did. Hope they dont get progressivly worse.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

She had 2nd round of chemo last wednesday. Fucked her up a lot worse then the first did. Hope they dont get progressivly worse.

Sorry to hear that, Steve. I wish her well while she kicks it's ass :thumbsup: