Check your account email address ×

“Ban Chinese electric vehicles now,” demands US senator

China's EV industry benefits from billions of dollars in government subsidies.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/04/ban-chinese-electric-vehicles-now-demands-us-senator/

Interesting.... wonder if they would be eligible for the same federal tax credit that @Matt recently enjoyed on a Mercedes EV?  @BOHICA too

:news:

Chinese batteries make an EV ineligible for the IRS's clean vehicle tax credit, for one thing. And Chinese-made vehicles (like the Lincoln Nautilus, Buick Envision, and Polestar 2) are already subject to a 27.5 percent import tax. 

guess not... :pc:

Chinese imports killed US made solar panels.

Want to be serious about creating jobs in the US via "renewable" or "sustainable" enegry?

Ax out or heavily tariff Chinese made imports and/or do not subsidize projects that do use them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Chinese imports killed US made solar panels.

Want to be serious about creating jobs in the US via "renewable" or "sustainable" enegry?

Ax out or heavily tariff Chinese made imports and/or do not subsidize projects that do use them.

the irony is that the US and US corporations essentially built China's economy.   the trade deficit/imbalance is still staggering.  but, Americans love buying cheap imported shit sold by US corporations so... 

• Gold Member
52 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

China's EV industry benefits from billions of dollars in government subsidies.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/04/ban-chinese-electric-vehicles-now-demands-us-senator/

Interesting.... wonder if they would be eligible for the same federal tax credit that @Matt recently enjoyed on a Mercedes EV?  @BOHICA too

:news:

Very few vehicles qualify for tax credit for outright purchase.   Have sourcing requirements, msrp thresholds and income limits of the buyer….

Republicans snuck in a provision for leasing to give businesses more tax breaks….  So in Leasing everything qualifies without any stipulation…. 

so yes if you leased a Chinese EV there would be a tax credit as the law is currently written.

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Very few vehicles qualify for tax credit for outright purchase.   Have sourcing requirements, msrp thresholds and income limits of the buyer….

Republicans snuck in a provision for leasing to give businesses more tax breaks….  So in Leasing everything qualifies without any stipulation…. 

so yes if you leased a Chinese EV there would be a tax credit as the law is currently written.

good to know 

dislike though 

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

good to know 

dislike though 

Here are all vehicles that qualify and how much they qualify for…. There is an assembly in North America requirement for $3750 and a battery materials requirement to come from a friendly country for another $3750 for a total of $7500.  There is a msrp cap of $80k for SUV/pickup and $55k cap on sedans.

Also income limits of $150k single and $300 married.

Leasing since a “business” owns the vehicle they get a tax write off and every vehicle qualifies…. all the way from a Rimac Nevera down to a Nissan leaf if they are lease.  Lease company can choose to pass that onto the individual leasing.  In the case of a Mercedes EV it’s better to lease then buy if the terms are right and they pass the credit on.

anyhow her is the current vehicles that qualify and likely will get less and less as time goes on as the raw material requirements get stricter….  
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g43675128/cars-eligible-for-ev-tax-credit/

Tesla will be ahead of the game through commitments to buy recycled material through Redwood and also bringing in the raw materials from friendly countries such as Australia, Chile and such instead of relying on China and processing it in its soon to be completed Lithium processor plant in Texas.

• Gold Member

Oh and I think they should allow certain Chinese EV’s if they meet our safety standards and under a certain MSRP cap.  No US auto manufacture want to dabble in the cheap vehicle category so poor people are kind of fucked by our YS auto market currently.  None of them even make small and cheap cars anymore which is what the poor and lower mid class need.  Plus the batteries in the Chinese EV’s have great recycle value in the US and will provide ample feed stock of battety materials for the US auto market.

13 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Oh and I think they should allow certain Chinese EV’s if they meet our safety standards and under a certain MSRP cap.  No US auto manufacture want to dabble in the cheap vehicle category so poor people are kind of fucked by our YS auto market currently.  None of them even make small and cheap cars anymore which is what the poor and lower mid class need.  Plus the batteries in the Chinese EV’s have great recycle value in the US and will provide ample feed stock of battety materials for the US auto market.

The poor and lower middle class have never purchased new cars 

• Gold Member
34 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The poor and lower middle class have never purchased new cars 

They may be more inclined and manageable if they could buy a new $12,000 EV after tax credit with 100,000 mile warranty.  We are likely talking under $200 a month for a 200 mile range BYD that never needs oil changes or much maintenance.

the US auto market gave up on these cause they couldn’t make enough profits off Chevy sparks, ford fiestas/focus and dodge darts.  So it would be like these cheap Chinese EV’s would compete with the rest of the US market.

14 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

They may be more inclined and manageable if they could buy a new $12,000 EV after tax credit with 100,000 mile warranty.  We are likely talking under $200 a month for a 200 mile range BYD that never needs oil changes or much maintenance.

the US auto market gave up on these cause they couldn’t make enough profits off Chevy sparks, ford fiestas/focus and dodge darts.  So it would be like these cheap Chinese EV’s would compete with the rest of the US market.

BYD and its competitors in China have a huge issue. Over production. There’s so many unsold EV’s that fields of them are visible from space. Some have been unsold for 5 years. 

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

BYD and its competitors in China have a huge issue. Over production. There’s so many unsold EV’s that fields of them are visible from space. Some have been unsold for 5 years. 

Should let them sell them here on the cheap if they meet our safety standards.  I think BYD is opening a plant in Mexico and they will be able to sell them cheap in Mexico and Canada I believe.  Nothing wrong with Cheap transportation with a 100k mile warranty that the poor and middle class can buy.  Better, more reliable and cheaper to run then a clamped out VW Jetta or ford fiesta they are in now.

25 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Should let them sell them here on the cheap if they meet our safety standards.  I think BYD is opening a plant in Mexico and they will be able to sell them cheap in Mexico and Canada I believe.  Nothing wrong with Cheap transportation with a 100k mile warranty that the poor and middle class can buy.  Better, more reliable and cheaper to run then a clamped out VW Jetta or ford fiesta they are in now.

…..and turn a blind eye to China selling billions of dollars of fentanyl precursors to Mexican cartels? I don’t think so. 

I’d wager no one here can claim to own nothing made in China.

Needed a cheap dirt bike for the nieces and nephews. 
I bought a Drz 400, lowered it, regeared it…still too much bike.
I’d have loved to get a CRF 80, but the TSC Coleman was $800. It’s actually a pretty fun toy.

I was already too deep in the Drz my wife said. Bought new 2020 SM, was just shy of 10k. She is correct.

Bought another Suzuki Eiger 400 full auto for them, in addition to the same in semi auto I already have. That I got for a great deal. Needed a full front end rebuild. Same as my other Eiger. Front wheel bearings are shit. The one I got the bearings went, the previous owner kept riding it so bad the rotors chewed up the callipers.

Might buy a CRF 125, but they are 4K new, and still stupid money used.

I’m seeing the toy market come back to reality, but so far it’s really slow. 
The “need to sell” hasn’t happened yet.

Edited by Voodoo