Check your account email address ×

Dodge eco Diesel

15 hours ago, f7ben said:

I love my 6.0 , excellent engine when running right lol. I will fix it when it needs fixing it as the super duty is the best truck of the bunch 

You could fix some of their problems but not the high pressure oil fired injectors 

the 6.4 was just a pile of fuck though 

3 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Relocating the electronics off the top of the pump usually fixed the injector pump issues from my experience. 

They had lots of problems that stemmed from  pushing the original design to do more than it ever should have 

I’ve seen quit a few very high mile NA 6.2’s. But not turbo 6.5’s 

5 hours ago, Rod said:

You could fix some of their problems but not the high pressure oil fired injectors 

the 6.4 was just a pile of fuck though 

Yes the 6.4 was a fucking clusterfuck. I will never own one of those 

20 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes the 6.4 was a fucking clusterfuck. I will never own one of those 

Brother eventually got his swapped to a 5.9 Cummings 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That must have been like 1780 man hours of labor 

He got some shop to do it and I’d recommend lighting the truck on fire instead :lol:

• Haha 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 2/6/2024 at 10:35 AM, Rod said:

Buddy is a tech at dodge. They just had to replace another eco Diesel engine 

44 grand said and done. What a massive pile of shit 

but maybe they saved $100 on fuel 

I knew the early Ecodiesel's had issues but I thought they had improved them at some point.

They discontinued them right?

I had a customer who had an early one (2014?). He had the motor replaced twice while under warranty. 20k miles on the first and 30k miles on the second then he traded it in for a Cummins.

I own the shitty diesels. An '08 F250 6.4 and a '07 6.0.  My previous 6.0 went 300k miles before diesel started showing up in the coolant. Probably should have changed the coolant more regular. But I liked that truck so much I bought another. I should have it ready for the road next week.

IMG_7310.jpeg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I knew the early Ecodiesel's had issues but I thought they had improved them at some point.

They discontinued them right?

I had a customer who had an early one (2014?). He had the motor replaced twice while under warranty. 20k miles on the first and 30k miles on the second then he traded it in for a Cummins.

I own the shitty diesels. An '08 F250 6.4 and a '07 6.0.  My previous 6.0 went 300k miles before diesel started showing up in the coolant. Probably should have changed the coolant more regular. But I liked that truck so much I bought another. I should have it ready for the road next week.

IMG_7310.jpeg

Deleting the entire EGR system on the 6.0 helps a lot. That’s often what starts wiping out the head gaskets 

I heard they stopped selling the eco for a while, improved it then brought it back. But tech buddy says they’re still junk 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

I liked my 6.0 ,would never buy a truck with a 6.4 in it.

6.7 turning into a fucking headache 

Ya, I've been reading about the 6.7's lately. Same as all the rest. Delete it and take your chances with emmissions laws or pay the price later.

I switched to gassers for the business. The repair bills have been cheaper, the fuel dollars are more but at least they don't spend 3 weeks at a shop when they have an issue.

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Deleting the entire EGR system on the 6.0 helps a lot. That’s often what starts wiping out the head gaskets 

I heard they stopped selling the eco for a while, improved it then brought it back. But tech buddy says they’re still junk 

I deleted the EGR on 6.0 way back. I had this latest 6.0 at the same shop for my safety and change all the fluids. I asked about deleting the EGR and they told me to drive it until the head gaskets let go and they will do the EGR then........:lol2:

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, I've been reading about the 6.7's lately. Same as all the rest. Delete it and take your chances with emmissions laws or pay the price later.

I switched to gassers for the business. The repair bills have been cheaper, the fuel dollars are more but at least they don't spend 3 weeks at a shop when they have an issue.

more and more moving that direction.   unless you need to tow bigger equipment really no reason to run the diesel anymore.   esp with the poor fuel economy even towing something relatively simple like a 24' tool trailer with all the emmisions shit on them.     

3 hours ago, Rod said:

EGR upgrade,&: head studs is a major upgrade