Check your account email address ×

Massachusetts state troopers among 6 charged in commercial driver's license bribery scheme

• Platinum Contributing Member

BOSTON ―  Six people, including two current and two former Massachusetts State Police troopers, were charged Tuesday in an alleged scheme to give passing scores for commercial driver's licenses in exchange for bribes, the U.S. attorney’s office said.

In a 74-count indictment, prosecutors accused the troopers of falsifying records and conspiring to give preferential treatment to at least 17 commercial driver's licenses (CDL) applicants from around May 2019 to January 2023. The troopers passed drivers who even failed their skills tests and used the code word "golden" to identify these applicants, according to the charging document.

Current state police Sgt. Gary Cederquist, 58, of Stoughton, and Trooper Joel Rogers, 54, of Bridgewater, were arrested Tuesday. Retired troopers Calvin Butner, 63, of Halifax, and Perry Mendes, 63, of Wareham, were taken into custody Monday in Florida.

that would explain the idiot truck drivers with masshole plates, would like to know how they pulled it off seeing it's a whole different department handling licencing

29 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

that would explain the idiot truck drivers with masshole plates, would like to know how they pulled it off seeing it's a whole different department handling licencing

Actual statie comments to each other describing people they passed.

• “Your buddy passed yesterday he owes you that’s an automatic Fail leaving the door open!!!”
  • “This guys a mess. Lol. He owes u a prime rib 6inch. 4 compounds and no watch”
  • “Your buddy is a mess. He owes you big time. He will be fine though. Anything for you”
  • “Golden mess. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • “He’s a mess Class A truck 2psi loss with truck running truck cut our again while timing 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • “Total mess this guy I think some time we should just do what we can but not golden”

31 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

“The indictment alleges that Cederquist sent Mathison a text describing one of these applicants as ‘an idiot,’ who had ‘no idea what he’s doing,’ and ‘should have failed about 10 times already,’

25 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Actual statie comments to each other describing people they passed.

• “Your buddy passed yesterday he owes you that’s an automatic Fail leaving the door open!!!”
  • “This guys a mess. Lol. He owes u a prime rib 6inch. 4 compounds and no watch”
  • “Your buddy is a mess. He owes you big time. He will be fine though. Anything for you”
  • “Golden mess. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • “He’s a mess Class A truck 2psi loss with truck running truck cut our again while timing 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • “Total mess this guy I think some time we should just do what we can but not golden”

wtf, I am a CDL  trainer for my company in the off season and shit pisses me off, no wonder we have a bunch of idiots on the road who should not be behind the wheel of a car much less a 80,000# weapon

Has anyone noticed the quality of truck drivers coming out of Bramledesh, Ontario the last five years or so ? Is anyone shocked that this stuff goes on, everywhere ! And whatever you do , don,t ask them to back up a trailer even 20 feet. Total disaster ! 

Edited by Frostynuts

27 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Has anyone noticed the quality of truck drivers coming out of Bramledesh, Ontario the last five years or so ? Is anyone shocked that this stuff goes on, everywhere ! And whatever you do , don,t ask them to back up a trailer even 20 feet. Total disaster ! 

I have come to the conclusion that there is zero training in canadastan, by far the worst truck drivers I have ever seen, have had more close calls with them than with a swift truck:wall:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Yep.

There is such a demand for drivers, the concrete company I work for part time (I’ve done 15 years of accident free full and part time for) has had to lower its standards by a wide margin.

Used to be they wouldn’t look at you unless you had 3 years experience, preferably some off road heavy load trucking or agricultural experience as well.

Now, it’s you’ve got the license, you’re hired. 

More accidents and roll overs in the last few years than there was in previous decades.

They did adopt a system that meant all of us had to do training, a 3 day course in truck and classroom. The guy teaching it spent weeks with the training company. He also happened to be a guy I had worked with for 10 years, I was the guy that rode with and “trained” him when he came to work with us. He already had years driving all things concrete trucks. It was just a formality.

He knew I’m about as good as it gets.

The introduction to the training asked how you would rate yourself as a driver, 0 to 5.

I put down 6.

My skill, experience and general defensive driving method…with an 80,000 to 120,000 pound machine, has saved multiple stupid car drivers from a death they would have caused.

I see collisions long before they happen and adjust, even if it wouldn’t be my fault.

On a snowmobile side note, I’m groomer coordinator for my area.

Groomer lives at my place, get serviced and repaired by me, in my shop.

We get new potential hires come in. Most get trained by the other operators. I trust their observations and advice. Usually it is my number one (see the Star Trek reference), he’s awesome gives me the cold hard truth.

Generally it’s the farmers and truckers that will do a good job and not wreck shit.

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

:pc:

I’ve watched his stuff many times. 
Smart dude

I maintain, repair and inspect my vehicles and trailers on a super high level.

Nothing leaves my place in anything but a safe condition.

Wife called me Wednesday, her van was acting weird, smoking out of the front right wheel.

Classic GM calliper fail. 

Drive it home, take the spare van.

Ordered both callipers, both rotors and pads. $1000.

Dropped off by my local supplier a few hours later.

Service done, back on the road it is.

I am trying to do Amazon less and less.

Keep my local guys in business 

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 4