Check your account email address ×

What's up with New Hampshire?

Matt

4 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I've seen plenty of posers in the red/black.

Yeah it's gotten insane. Too many people decided "Buffalo plaid" was the in thing and drove the prices up for us normal fake loggers.

Do you wear the rubber boots, too? My buddy still wears them even though he is a builder. His daddy was a logger and the boots stuck :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Yeah it's gotten insane. Too many people decided "Buffalo plaid" was the in thing and drove the prices up for us normal fake loggers.

The hat my daughter got me is flat brimmed and has an emblem stamped into it, completely poser.  But it reminds me of my dad and potato farming uncles who always had one on in the winter time.   NFG.  I'll still wear it with pride. :lol: 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Before hunter orange became mandatory the red/black plaid was THE jacket to be worn out moose hunting, they were all the rage before camo came along :lol:

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

Before hunter orange became mandatory the red/black plaid was THE jacket to be worn out moose hunting, they were all the rage before camo came along :lol:

Do you have to wear a hunters orange jacket? The laws may have changed, but when the law was first passed in NH all that was required was one piece of clothing. The diehards continued to wear red/black with an orange hat.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

Do you have to wear a hunters orange jacket? The laws may have changed, but when the law was first passed in NH all that was required was one piece of clothing. The diehards continued to wear red/black with an orange hat.

Do we even need any orange?

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes at a minimum a blaze orange vest and hat. The vest can be quite small though and the Game wardens have mentioned that my buddies and mine just barely make the min. :ashamed:

Most of the places I hunt the orange comes off fairly early as I'm not worried about meeting anyone.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Archery and firearm hunters, except those hunting waterfowl, are strong encouraged to wear blaze orange that is visible, above the waist, from at least a distance of 200 feet.

I thought it was a law for some reason with firearms. Maybe I'm thinking about Maine as that was the news that we watched most being on the NH and ME border.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I thought it was a law for some reason with firearms. Maybe I'm thinking about Maine as that was the news that we watched most being on the NH and ME border.

Bird hunting you don't need to up here until big game rifle season begins.

1 minute ago, HSR said:

Yes at a minimum a blaze orange vest and hat. The vest can be quite small though and the Game wardens have mentioned that my buddies and mine just barely make the min. :ashamed:

We used to sell the blaze orange capes. Some of the guys on snowmobile work parties in the fall would wear them. I didn't worry about it to much since there was always a chainsaw or brush saw running. If course I didn't wear a brown or black jacket just in case :lol:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

We used to sell the blaze orange capes. Some of the guys on snowmobile work parties in the fall would wear them. I didn't worry about it to much since there was always a chainsaw or brush saw running. If course I didn't wear a brown or black jacket just in case :lol:

Was eating breakfast in the burg one day. Wearing brown carhart bibs and jacket. When someone infromed me archery season opened that am.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Was eating breakfast in the burg one day. Wearing brown carhart bibs and jacket. When someone infromed me archery season opened that am.

One would hope an archery hunter wouldn't shoot a person no matter what color they were wearing as close as they have to be for a kill shot :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HSR said:

I remember my dad wearing the plaid hunting when I was a kid, I'm sure he still has it.

8 minutes ago, HSR said:

Most of the places I hunt the orange comes off fairly early as I'm not worried about meeting anyone.

Same thing here, hat and vest at a minimum for rifle deer hunting. One item above the waist for small game.

7 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Wifey is wearing red and black flannel right now :lol:

Maybe she's headed out to run skidder later :lol:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Maybe she's headed out to run skidder later :lol:

Are they very common with today's logging operations? The only guy that I know that runs  old cable skidders only clears house lots.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Are they very common with today's logging operations? The only guy that I know that runs  old cable skidders only clears house lots.

Yes up here all operations use grapple skidders. Terrain is too rough for log forwarders. FIL had one for a few years, didn't works fast enough. My BIL put GPS's in all the Feller bunchers and skidders with the cuts all pre marked , made night logging easy.

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Grapple skidders are still fairly common around here. I know a few guys that have cable skidders for their own use.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Dude that did my place was a saw and skidder logger. Worked alone and was a machine himself.

Amazing to watch. He would cut 6-7 tree's 90% , then jump in the skidder and give the first one a tap and watch em drop like domino's.

• Like 2

Glad we had this skiddah coming by when we slid down the hill backwards into the ditch last winter.  Wished I had that hat lol. He made quick work of it and dragged us back up the hill.  We thought we’d unload a few miles in on the access road, turned out to not be the best idea this time around.

IMG_6808.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Glad we had this skiddah coming by when we slid down the hill backwards into the ditch last winter.  Wished I had that hat lol. He made quick work of it and dragged us back up the hill.  We thought we’d unload a few miles in on the access road, turned out to not be the best idea this time around.

IMG_6808.jpeg

Where's the hill? 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

IMG_6808.jpeg

Was Ben driving?

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Was Ben driving?

*raiseshand*  I'm blaming my brother and Angry Ginger.  They talked me into it.  First ride of the year so wasn't much base until you got out of town and up some of the hills.    :lol: