Check your account email address ×

Trail Marking

Tried using a silage roller to level out the plowed fields but the recent cold temps firmed up the ground to much for it to work good.  May try it again when the temps warm up or just use a blade as we've done other years.

438978698.jpg

20141116_105726.jpg

• Like 4

I did a horseshit job of taking pictures (zero!) ... but I'm glad to say we're done marking our trails.  We had a good crew that showed up today to finish the remainder of our trail system, and then we have one more day next Saturday to finish up re-planking a bridge.  Then it's up to Mother Nature to allow us to actually take advantage of our work.  Let it snow (after next weekend)!!!

• Like 3

My last stop sign this afternoon!!

spent couple hours yesterday and today and finished up!!

bring on the white stuff!!

spent rest of the weekend in garage working on pros!!

another list of parts to order Monday but it’s about ready to roll! 

IMG_1194.jpeg

• Like 4

May have been a little to critical of the job the silage roller did in plowed fields.  Even marking using ATV's wasn't bad to ride over.  We got about 2-3 Inches of snow and you can see where the trail was rolled.  That section is about 16-18 foot wide.

20231204_095139.jpg

20231204_094938.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah our roller doesn’t make it a paved Highway, but it certainly allows for less snow to make it rideable.

This was last year (just for the pic of the roller), the ground was super soft yet a couple weeks back when we rolled what was plowed.

58A676E8-7531-492A-9EA3-101F8290FC76.jpeg

• Like 1

Those rollers look good, guys :thumb:  We were discussing the idea of doing something similar this week with some of the warmer temps that re in the forecast, just to see if it would help soften it up a little bit.  Thankfully, a few of our land owners already helped by knocking down some of the chisel plow on their sections of trail.

I'm definitely getting anxious, now that we're 100% marked.  One thing we will need to do is work with Ride Command to update a couple of sections of trail that have changed.

18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

One thing we will need to do is work with Ride Command to update a couple of sections of trail that have changed.

If your club is like ours, assuming it is being in MN, someone has that ability - I know we have a guy that can update trail reroutes…

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

If your club is like ours, assuming it is being in MN, someone has that ability - I know we have a guy that can update trail reroutes…

In Wisconsin to keep track of grooming we us a system called SNARS which uses a GPS tracking device mounted inside the the groomer.  Not sure what Minnesota uses.  We need to GPS our trails every year and send it a new track of the trails to be loaded into SNARS.  A club can go out and groom and then work with the time stamps and GPS location to plot out a new more or we mount the unit temporarily on a ATV and run our trails then send that track in.  I believe our state works with Ride Command to update trails

If while grooming you are outside of the plotted route by 600 ft (believe they changed that this year) your grooming time will not be counted.  If this is now the new location from the trail there is a form you need to fill out with the time stamps and send it in to have the trail plot updated.  Normally the light on the tracker is green but if its yellow your close to going outside the course and if its red your no longer logging time.  Also if the groomer if stopped for more than 10 minutes it will not log time or is you exceed 15 MPH it will not log your time.

Here's an example of one of the reports we can look at.  If there's red you need to correct something or you were stopped or traveling faster then 15 mph     

GPS Grooming.jpg

• Like 1

I've been asking our president about mn going to gps in groomers and bringing it up at state meetings.I heard that their was some discusion this year about it?I really like wi system and use it alot when deciding where the day ride is going to be!

Question is who pays for gps system for groomer?club or state?Whats the cost?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, X2700 said:

I've been asking our president about mn going to gps in groomers and bringing it up at state meetings.I heard that their was some discusion this year about it?I really like wi system and use it alot when deciding where the day ride is going to be!

Question is who pays for gps system for groomer?club or state?Whats the cost?

Anyone can actually log into SNARS for Wisconsin and its real time where you can see the groomers out grooming and if a trail was groomed in the last 24or 48 hrs I think.  It's similar to looking at the Uber app.  @X2700do you have the link you could post?  I'm the manager of our club and my login looks a lot different.  

http://gts.groomertrackingsystems.com/map

i just look at this the night before or early in morning and make a plan.couple of us road alot on new trails last winter in the wheeler chetek weyerhauser area and by using this tool we found mostly just groomed trails!!we do usually get on trails by 8am!!i also use local clubs websites facebook etc to see whats closed or open.what i found last year is that wi will close a trail on monday then open it up late in week to save trails late in year!!I always thought how wi would close trails during winter was stupid but i now know how it works. I now watch it closely!!

we just need another winter like last over there!!

Edited by X2700

I do get the rolling of eyes every time i bring up gps in groomers!!Some just will not accept change even though its to better our system.i feel sometimes our club doesnt groom enough and maybe with this system it will show them what were actually doing!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, X2700 said:

I do get the rolling of eyes every time i bring up gps in groomers!!Some just will not accept change even though its to better our system.i feel sometimes our club doesnt groom enough and maybe with this system it will show them what were actually doing!!

We all know it was coming and a year or even two years before some clubs were using it to work the bugs out of it.  Yes there was some skepticism.  I'm in one of the clubs in Northern Wisconsin that was a test bed for the system so when it became mandatory for my local club I had a good reference to call.  Additionally there's good tutorials, Q & A information and annual workshops for help.

Really once you have you trails GPS'ed, mount the unit in the groomer and look at the reports to make sure you have no red it's almost hands off.  If you have red and need help there is a contact email we use and they have been good at getting back to the clubs.  When we had the late reroute and had to change the GPS plot that got corrected within 2 day.

On one of the reports if you see yellow you can select the breadcrumb to see what the issue is.  Below the yellow was it was the groomer traveling at only 1.24 MPH close to being stopped.  Where they are red is where we park it.            

GPS grooming 2.jpg

• Like 3

Groomer notification - besides someone coming around a corner or over a hill on the wrong side a the trail, that's my biggest fear, meeting the groomer.  Something to help let you know where they are would be nice (Besides that sweet ribbon of white!).  But that would require me to upgrade my dash... 

Edited by Mag6240

While we're on the technology side of this discussion, have I been living under a rock to not know the Polaris app now will show land owners?  While we were out marking on Saturday, one of the guys riding with me had his phone up & running the Ride Command app.  He goes, "Huh - I never knew this was so-and-so's land?" and I looked at him to ask where he saw it.  Like, was there a sign somewhere?  He pointed to his phone and how if you click on the parcel, it shows who the owner is.  I never knew that ... pretty sweet!

On the Groomer/GPS topic - I would love to see us start using that system :thumb:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bontz said:

Taking advantage of the weather & getting some small re-route work on our trails today too :thumbsup:

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

Looks like area i will need to slow down for!!

Just outside Frontenac?

4 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Looks like area i will need to slow down for!!

Just outside Frontenac?

You guessed it, yep.  That's the field just above Frontenac, when coming from Lake City, where you eventually cross 305th Street and head down the road towards the R/R tracks.  We had to do some dozer work in there because of all the fill they brought in that area from the Highway 61 project this summer. 

• Like 1