Check your account email address ×

*OFFICIAL* engine thread!!!!!

22 minutes ago, Legend said:

forgot to add, we had it for like 8 yrs, and only put on 4k miles. Yeah paying insurance on a MH and yearly registration was a waste if we weren't going to drive it....lol

29 minutes ago, Legend said:

Nice.

Yeah our was a 2000. Bought it in 08 for $25k. Old guy and his wife drove in from WI to FL for the winters. He got to old to keep driving it. Had 49K miles on it. We bought it with the intention of traveling around going UTVing. Then we started having kids in 2011. Put the MH on a seasonal site in northern WI. And it sat there for a few years. We bought a new destination/travel trailer last spring and parked it up north. Sold the MH to a friend that has an outfitter deal in northern Ontario. He uses it to travel around to all the sports shows. He spend like 10K on the wrap. I'll see if I can find a pic. 

17834145_1887881878096942_8924237103028212845_o.jpg

17546769_1888359248049205_1612614962567916165_o.jpg

That thing is awesome.  I love the wrap.  Lots to look at for sure.  Thats a good old Motorhome.  Lots of life left in it.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Thanks for the detailed info....The wife and I are kicking around the idea of a motorhome instead of another toyhauler...The toyhauler we bought last yr got written off because of rodent infestation while in storage....im thinking we would almost need a coach to be able to pull the kind of weight we would be looking at. :bc:

Most mid level Diesel Pushers have a 10k towing capacity.  Of course actual towing capacity will depend on how heavy you have the coach loaded to begin with.  Regardless of their towing capacity, any mid level DP will pull a load better than a top of the line gasser.  

I had my heart set on a quad slide DP.  I really wanted the Cummins 8.3 ISP 360-400HP.  I found a beautiful 2010 40' Tiffin with the 400 Cummins in it back in November.  Put a deposit down on it and then started to do some research.  Consumables for a DP are quite a bit more expensive.  Some parts like Starters, Alternators, Waterpumps, etc are a bit more expensive than a gasser  One of my wife's friends was over around that same time.  She and her husband just bought a motorhome in 2015 to leave down in the states.  They bought a 2010 Monaco with the 400 cummins.  In the first year they owned it they put a $1500 starter on it, and spent $2000 to have the water pump replaced.  She said every time they turn around they are shelling out cash on the motor or drivetrain.  I started to have second thoughts on a $150k DP and started looking for a decent gasser instead.

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

We are spending about 5 days in DC then head east.  Stop in East Columbus for the new wheels on the 25th and then in Effingham IL by Friday the 26th.  I fly back to AK on the 30th.  Leaving out of Chicago to head home.   

Next time you are in the area for a while,let me know. I'll take you to the Badlands in Attica In. It's a real big off road park.

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Next time you are in the area for a while,let me know. I'll take you to the Badlands in Attica In. It's a real big off road park.

Man I just looked that place up.  Looks like a great time.  Lots and lots of trails and right up next to the Wabash river.  That would be fun for sure.  Thanks for the offer and I will look you up one of these days for sure.  

52 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Most mid level Diesel Pushers have a 10k towing capacity.  Of course actual towing capacity will depend on how heavy you have the coach loaded to begin with.  Regardless of their towing capacity, any mid level DP will pull a load better than a top of the line gasser.  

I had my heart set on a quad slide DP.  I really wanted the Cummins 8.3 ISP 360-400HP.  I found a beautiful 2010 40' Tiffin with the 400 Cummins in it back in November.  Put a deposit down on it and then started to do some research.  Consumables for a DP are quite a bit more expensive.  Some parts like Starters, Alternators, Waterpumps, etc are a bit more expensive than a gasser  One of my wife's friends was over around that same time.  She and her husband just bought a motorhome in 2015 to leave down in the states.  They bought a 2010 Monaco with the 400 cummins.  In the first year they owned it they put a $1500 starter on it, and spent $2000 to have the water pump replaced.  She said every time they turn around they are shelling out cash on the motor or drivetrain.  I started to have second thoughts on a $150k DP and started looking for a decent gasser instead.

Have you looked into something built onto a semi chassis?  Something from Showhauler or Renegade or the like.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Have you looked into something built onto a semi chassis?  Something from Showhauler or Renegade or the like.

Oh yea.  I would love to have a Renegade or something similar but those are way out of my league.  Plus the most I will ever tow is maybe 6000-8000lbs.  

It's easy to get $500k into a nice Showhauler or Renegade.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Oh yea.  I would love to have a Renegade or something similar but those are way out of my league.  Plus the most I will ever tow is maybe 6000-8000lbs.  

Racingjunk always had a wide selection.  You might be surprised at what you can get for the price.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Racingjunk always had a wide selection.  You might be surprised at what you can get for the price.  

For sure.  I used to be on RJ a couple of times a day.  Drag Racing consumed my life from about 1984 to 2010.  Almost everything I did revolved around racing.  

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

For sure.  I used to be on RJ a couple of times a day.  Drag Racing consumed my life from about 1984 to 2010.  Almost everything I did revolved around racing.  

I'm at the point where racing is a little ways down the list of important shit in my life.  :bc:

Doesn't help that if I wanted to race 2-3-4- nites a week, all the equipment is 90 miles from the house.

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Ya its a roll of the dice buying used... specially with a deisel...knowing my wife she would want to break the bank buying new.

18 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Do the Australian pipline gig and you can get two :) 

Just now, Momorider said:

Do the Australian pipline gig and you can get two :) 

I have a pretty good gig going now.  I will work part time through this summer then beginning of the year start the 2 weeks on 4 weeks off schedule.  Day rate.  Decent money but lots of time off to travel and do fun stuff.  Australia is a long way away from Home.  

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

Ya its a roll of the dice buying used... specially with a deisel...knowing my wife she would want to break the bank buying new.

If you need to tow more than 6000lbs then a new DP is going to set you back a bit.  I would think you should be able to get into a entry to mid level DP for $260-$280k.  

If you don't need to haul more than 6000lbs then you can get into a very nice used gasser for under $80k.  Workhorse quit building chassis in 2010 so anything newer than 2010 is a Ford chassis and poser.  It wasn't till 2016 that Ford put the 6 speed transmission in their top end gas coaches.  The newest Ford F-53 chassis coaches are very nice.  A top end gasser will list for about $190k but you can walk out the door with a super nice, brand new coach for about $140k.  

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I have a pretty good gig going now.  I will work part time through this summer then beginning of the year start the 2 weeks on 4 weeks off schedule.  Day rate.  Decent money but lots of time off to travel and do fun stuff.  Australia is a long way away from Home.  

If you need to tow more than 6000lbs then a new DP is going to set you back a bit.  I would think you should be able to get into a entry to mid level DP for $260-$280k.  

If you don't need to haul more than 6000lbs then you can get into a very nice used gasser for under $80k.  Workhorse quit building chassis in 2010 so anything newer than 2010 is a Ford chassis and poser.  It wasn't till 2016 that Ford put the 6 speed transmission in their top end gas coaches.  The newest Ford F-53 chassis coaches are very nice.  A top end gasser will list for about $190k but you can walk out the door with a super nice, brand new coach for about $140k.  

$3200 and you could have this beauty.  You'd be the envy of every hipster.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2648&acctid=782

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

:lol:

The ones my wife has her heart set on start with a P and end with a T.

I said do you have some money I dont know about. :lol:

8 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Love to do a nice road trip for a month or so in Australia :bc: that would rock 

1 minute ago, Dave said:

:lol:

The ones my wife has her heart set on start with a P and end with a T.

I said do you have some money I dont know about. :lol:

Hahaha.  Yea a Prevost would be over the top nice.  Way to much bling for my tastes.  Lots of systems that can fail or give you trouble.  I would think that a person who could afford a new Prevost should have at lease $20mil in the bank.  That or only a couple of years left to live.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha.  Yea a Prevost would be over the top nice.  Way to much bling for my tastes.  Lots of systems that can fail or give you trouble.  I would think that a person who could afford a new Prevost should have at lease $20mil in the bank.  That or only a couple of years left to live.  

She has no idea. :lol:

Ive googled a few times for shits and giggles and seen some for half a million used.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

She has no idea. :lol:

Ive googled a few times for shits and giggles and seen some for half a million used.

Yea, There are some very nice used coaches in that range.  

We decided to scale my desires back some and landed on the used Winnebago coach.  Decent floorplan, plenty of power and a stellar reputation for reliability.  Newer Winnebagos are notoriously shoddy in construction.  I read of horror stories every day on the RV forums I belong to.  

21 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yea, There are some very nice used coaches in that range.  

We decided to scale my desires back some and landed on the used Winnebago coach.  Decent floorplan, plenty of power and a stellar reputation for reliability.  Newer Winnebagos are notoriously shoddy in construction.  I read of horror stories every day on the RV forums I belong to.  

Dude go down to where they are built...ive been to a few trailer places in Indiana...its scary they let these meth heads build these things.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Dude go down to where they are built...ive been to a few trailer places in Indiana...its scary they let these meth heads build these things.

Its not a great job working in a trailer factory , I've met quite a few ex production guys from here and it doesnt sound all that great

Just now, f7ben said:

Its not a great job working in a trailer factory , I've met quite a few ex production guys from here and it doesnt sound all that great

Peace work from the sounds of it.

46 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

If you have an opportunity to go to Australia, and be paid for it, you're crazy not to go.  That is one place I would love to go back to again.