Check your account email address ×

Looking for a small welder.

Need a compact mig, gasses welder for the van. 120v with under 30amps input. I looked at the Harbor Fright's titanium welder for under $200. Seems like a decent unit with good reviews. I already have a Lincoln in the garage for larger jobs. This is for unexpected trailside repairs and metal sculptures. Any suggestions? 

57 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

They make small bottles of c25 I think 5lb I’d think easy/small enough to carry around. Flux core is such a mess. My Hobart 140 does both but I have it set up for c25.

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

I was tempted to buy one to have as a more portable option.  Or give it to my dad for welding traps.

Got the Lincoln from a local guy. He came close enough to matching the online price. Put it to quick work. I took on the exhaust manifold of my friend’s 3.5 ecoboost. What a fucking nightmare. The manifold warped so badly that it ripped the stud’s threads out of the head. It’s possible the mechanic he had look at may have over tightened the nut  and ruined the threads. I rigged up a jig using the old manifold and threaded collar. Welded it to the old manifold as a jig to drill and tap for a helicoil insert. The weld ain’t pretty, but it worked. Cast iron to mild steel. Got in with a right hand drill to hog out the head. The new manifolds are aftermarket. They are very thick. Set him back almost $600. Should wrap it up by dinner. 

IMG_0157.jpeg

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Got the Lincoln from a local guy. He came close enough to matching the online price. Put it to quick work. I took on the exhaust manifold of my friend’s 3.5 ecoboost. What a fucking nightmare. The manifold warped so badly that it ripped the stud’s threads out of the head. It’s possible the mechanic he had look at may have over tightened the nut  and ruined the threads. I rigged up a jig using the old manifold and threaded collar. Welded it to the old manifold as a jig to drill and tap for a helicoil insert. The weld ain’t pretty, but it worked. Cast iron to mild steel. The new manifolds are aftermarket. They are very thick. Set him back almost $600. Should wrap it up by dinner. 

IMG_0157.jpeg

Cast iron to steel won't weld well.  What you did is better than most any flat rate tech would have done.

2 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Cast iron to steel won't weld well.  What you did is better than most any flat rate tech would have done.

It’s an impressive little machine. Definitely has some heat for 125v. The inverter on the van said it was pulling 15 amps. 

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Got the Lincoln from a local guy. He came close enough to matching the online price. Put it to quick work. I took on the exhaust manifold of my friend’s 3.5 ecoboost. What a fucking nightmare. The manifold warped so badly that it ripped the stud’s threads out of the head. It’s possible the mechanic he had look at may have over tightened the nut  and ruined the threads. I rigged up a jig using the old manifold and threaded collar. Welded it to the old manifold as a jig to drill and tap for a helicoil insert. The weld ain’t pretty, but it worked. Cast iron to mild steel. Got in with a right hand drill to hog out the head. The new manifolds are aftermarket. They are very thick. Set him back almost $600. Should wrap it up by dinner. 

IMG_0157.jpeg

Sounds like a nightmare job but good work making it work.

57 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

IMG_0157.jpeg

That has a good chance of breaking.  Case iron cools faster than steel and the weld normally has internal cracks that will propagate.  

Case iron is normally welded with a Nirod rod but I've done it using a MIG process in non-structural application.  In either case I pre-heated it to about 200 deg and also use a post heat to slowly bring it back down to ambient temperature.  Welded a number of exhaust manifolds where I put the exhaust manifold in a grille pre-heating to 200 deg, weld it and put it back in grille and slowly turn the heat down over a period of time.  You can also use a heat blanket or pack it in sand after welding to slow the cooling down.

You may be fine but if it does break use a pre-heat and post-heat next time.

4 hours ago, Doug said:

That has a good chance of breaking.  Case iron cools faster than steel and the weld normally has internal cracks that will propagate.  

Case iron is normally welded with a Nirod rod but I've done it using a MIG process in non-structural application.  In either case I pre-heated it to about 200 deg and also use a post heat to slowly bring it back down to ambient temperature.  Welded a number of exhaust manifolds where I put the exhaust manifold in a grille pre-heating to 200 deg, weld it and put it back in grille and slowly turn the heat down over a period of time.  You can also use a heat blanket or pack it in sand after welding to slow the cooling down.

You may be fine but if it does break use a pre-heat and post-heat next time.

It’s not a high stress part. Only used it as an expendable drilling jig for the helicoil insert. It worked great. Yes, I did preheat the manifold with mapp gas before welding. The manifold is now in the dumpster where it belongs. :) 

• Like 1