Check your account email address ×

Rotator cuff surgery

Hi Guys, 

Has anyone had rotator cuff surgery?  The doctor says it's time; PT and cortisone will no longer be effective.  If I get cut now (technically end of August) will I be strong enough to ride come Jan 1.

Any personal experience and feedback appreciated. 

SkisNH

2 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Partial tear...have had 2 cortisone shots over the past 3 years and 2 rounds of pt.

Gotcha. I had impingement last year. I’m assuming it came from years of kettlebells. Gave it some rest and developed a new kettlebell technique along with some elastic band exercises. It’s not as good as new, but well within an acceptable range of motion. Good luck with the surgery. It’s a very straight forward procedure. 

I had my right shoulder done, full thickness tear and bicep tendon reattached, if you are a quick healer you might be able to do some lite riding but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Do the therapy after surgery and take it easy as recommended.

Friends have had tear replacement done at the same facility.  I'm a bit surprised by how well they have recovered.  I saw how little they could do before the procedure.  I recommend the PT because one of them didn't do the work and tried to ignore the recommendations.  They ended up with another small injury and had to go back in for cleanup.  They were told that they were pushing it too fast before the area was strong.

Not sure if the diagnosis was 100% correct, but they did it right the second round and seem to be doing well.

If your situation is anything like what I saw, you must be in a lot of pain.

11 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I had my right shoulder done, full thickness tear and bicep tendon reattached, if you are a quick healer you might be able to do some lite riding but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Yup agreed ,I had the right done in 88 and left done in 08. I wouldn't count on riding in January, it may be too soon depending on how well you heal and it's not something you can rush :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

If your situation is anything like what I saw, you must be in a lot of pain.

It's not good...but I'm contemplating hard rest until sled season then get it done at the end of March. My wife wants it done now as it effects my sleep...which effects her sleep. 

14 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

It's not good...but I'm contemplating hard rest until sled season then get it done at the end of March. My wife wants it done now as it effects my sleep...which effects her sleep. 

Been there :bc:

5 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys, 

Has anyone had rotator cuff surgery?  The doctor says it's time; PT and cortisone will no longer be effective.  If I get cut now (technically end of August) will I be strong enough to ride come Jan 1.

SkisNH

Wife does them all the time.   What do you want to know? I do know this.  All surgeons are not the same.  People will put more effort into buying a TV than finding a surgeon.  Friends and family will say I’m coming in for surgery on such and such.
 Oh yeah, who’s doing that?  
Dr. ——

Oh, fuck no !  

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Wife does them all the time.   What do you want to know? I do know this.  All surgeons are not the same.  People will put more effort into buying a TV than finding a surgeon.  Friends and family will say I’m coming in for surgery on such and such.
 Oh yeah, who’s doing that?  
Dr. ——

Oh, fuck no !  

:lol:

The doctor has a good reputation, but like all professionals they are selling their  service. I am looking for real estimates of recovery.  Will I get back to 100% or how close. Will I be able to go back to the gym? Will I be able to ride...what happens if it goes wrong? 

Thanks in advance for indulging me with a list of questions. 

SkisNH

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

The doctor has a good reputation, but like all professionals they are selling their  service. I am looking for real estimates of recovery.  Will I get back to 100% or how close. Will I be able to go back to the gym? Will I be able to ride...what happens if it goes wrong? 

SkisNH

I’ll ask her after work. 👍

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

SkisNH

From the several friends I know who’ve had it done, you’re looking at around 4-6 months before you get the strength back and the pain goes away.  Stick w the therapy and stay away from free weights and kettlebells..

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

SkisNH

She said different for everyone. Best advice, follow instructions and don’t push it! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys, 

SkisNH

I had a 1 x 2 cm tear in my rotator cuff plus my bicep was 90% torn off.

They only found this when they went in to scope. I lived like that for 4 years. All previous tests showed no damage 🤷🤦💩.

So I went in for a 45 minute scope and ended up being over a 4 hour surgery.

Physical therapy 5 days a week, exercises 3 times a day, gym 5-6 times a week.

Took me 5 months to get back to work, was too soon, and definitely wasn't snowmobile ready.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, SkisNH said:

SkisNH

Small and medium tears have a 90-95% success rate with surgery. It’s right up there with hip replacements as being the most successful type of surgery. Tears and impingement are usually caused by muscular imbalances. Unless of course there was a trauma. It took me 4 months of working with bands and stretching to fix the impingement. The important thing is to fix the imbalances. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Small and medium tears have a 90-95% success rate with surgery. It’s right up there with hip replacements as being the most successful type of surgery. Tears and impingement are usually caused by muscular imbalances. Unless of course there was a trauma. It took me 4 months of working with bands and stretching to fix the impingement. The important thing is to fix the imbalances. 

I tore mine loading a canoe by myself onto the 4runner....it tried to roll and I caught it awkwardly.  It's been junk since.  I'm meeting the doctor tomorrow to have a deeper discussion...I want to have a bunch of questions etc. ready for him.

• Like 1

the doctor wasnt 100% sure how bad mine was and told me that if i wake up from surgery in a white sling, it's a few weeks easy recovery. if i wake up in a huge black sling, it's a big deal. mine was black.

if i remember, i was in the sling 24/7, even when sleeping, for about 2 months? then i only wore it when out doing things

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

the doctor wasnt 100% sure how bad mine was and told me that if i wake up from surgery in a white sling, it's a few weeks easy recovery. if i wake up in a huge black sling, it's a big deal. mine was black.

if i remember, i was in the sling 24/7, even when sleeping, for about 2 months? then i only wore it when out doing things

Ya. Mine was sling/ strapped to my torso for a couple months except during physio. Wasn't allowed to take baths for a couple weeks and no driving for a month. That was the worst.