Check your account email address ×

Private sector companies added 497,000 jobs in June, more than double expectations, ADP says

28 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Haven’t had anyone come in to ask if we are hiring or fill out job ap in forever. 
we are going to keep it going until we are too old and that will be the end. 
No one is going to work like this anymore. 

when i graduated school in the 80s a car dealer job was what you quested for if you were a car guy. most there were because they were car guys. to get in someone had to die or retire . i was placed by the auto school i attended in high school. they took me right out of the gate based on my teacher's suggestion. now today no one has any interest in it. too much bullshit. flat rate i feel did some damage to the entire industry as well. you can get swallowed up by warranty issues while others clean house on brake jobs and such. tool investment is substantial and continues. car systems are super complicated and diagnosing can be difficult . i also feel that many lack the basic knowledge like what i was taught in school. i think the very first thing we did was solder and tape wires. then how to measure resistance and so on. volts vs amps , stuff like that. so many today get a no comm code for a module and right away replace the module. still no comm. then an experienced tech finds the broken comm wire 8 inches away. had an equinox this week. came in for rear diff module. no comm, looked like a porcupine chomped on the harness . saved them over 800.00 for the module

9 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

when i graduated school in the 80s a car dealer job was what you quested for if you were a car guy. most there were because they were car guys. to get in someone had to die or retire . i was placed by the auto school i attended in high school. they took me right out of the gate based on my teacher's suggestion. now today no one has any interest in it. too much bullshit. flat rate i feel did some damage to the entire industry as well. you can get swallowed up by warranty issues while others clean house on brake jobs and such. tool investment is substantial and continues. car systems are super complicated and diagnosing can be difficult . i also feel that many lack the basic knowledge like what i was taught in school. i think the very first thing we did was solder and tape wires. then how to measure resistance and so on. volts vs amps , stuff like that. so many today get a no comm code for a module and right away replace the module. still no comm. then an experienced tech finds the broken comm wire 8 inches away. had an equinox this week. came in for rear diff module. no comm, looked like a porcupine chomped on the harness . saved them over 800.00 for the module

Spot on.  :bc:

I grew up in it. All I ever wanted to do was work on cars. 
Repairing anything is a thing of the past. Techs have become  Parts replacers. Used to have young kids from the trade school in all the time, looking for any position to get a foot in the door and learn something. 

I laugh when people say there are no opportunities. My son-in-law had no education, no experience, and he is 32 running a dealership. Just by showing up everyday and working his ass off. 

• Gold Member
32 minutes ago, Snake said:

They will make their $21k a year without it affecting their SS and call it good.

Shine that turd... :lol:

so the 70 year old techs at the dealership are only working part time or something?

Just now, BOHICA said:

so the 70 year old techs at the dealership are only working part time or something?

not ours. these are closer to 70-80k if i had to guess. been there for decades 

8 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Spot on.  :bc:

I grew up in it. All I ever wanted to do was work on cars. 
Repairing anything is a thing of the past. Techs have become  Parts replacers. Used to have young kids from the trade school in all the time, looking for any position to get a foot in the door and learn something. 

I laugh when people say there are no opportunities. My son-in-law had no education, no experience, and he is 32 running a dealership. Just by showing up everyday and working his ass off. 

we never bought a starter, alternator, steering box , etc. we just removed it , repaired and back in. delco alternator we had a tester for the regulator, ohm meter for diode trio, always change brushes. starter was same , brushes , possible end cap /nose bushing. anyone remember the "growler" for checking armatures , or flipping the washer in the solenoid? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

If a tech is 70 years old he has been there for 40 years... :lol:

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

not ours. these are closer to 70-80k if i had to guess. been there for decades 

20 minutes ago, Snake said:

If a tech is 70 years old he has been there for 40 years... :lol:

See sleepybrews comment….  These guys are so helping out SS.  Like all these old people coming back to the work force they are outstanding!

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

48 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

See sleepybrews comment….  These guys are so helping out SS.  Like all these old people coming back to the work force they are outstanding!

At age 70 there is no limit to earnings on SS. I know several people that are collecting full SS and working full time. And yes, they are still paying into to the SS system. Which is a very good thing. 

Edited by spin_dry

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

At age 70 there is no limit to earnings on SS. I know several people that are collecting full SS and working full time. And yes, they are still paying into to the SS system. Which is a very good thing. 

Does the employer still pay in their 6.2% or what ever it is if the employees is over 70?  $80k these techs are making even though they are drawing but if they are contributing that is good for SS.  Any boomers working full time or making an income from working that is more then the minimum is great cause the carrot is dangled in front of them is great for SS 

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Does the employer still pay in their 6.2% or what ever it is if the employees is over 70?  $80k these techs are making even though they are drawing but if they are contributing that is good for SS.  Any boomers working full time or making an income from working that is more then the minimum is great cause the carrot is dangled in front of them is great for SS 

Yes. 

• Gold Member
11 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

we are just waiting for some of these workers to come our way. plenty of empty positions around here with zero applicants . we are a small gmc dealer. only 3 techs.one is 70, one is 71, and the other is 55. we have ads all over with not one applicant. we are talking 8-4 m-f . no flat rate. hell we haven't had a detailer in 5 years. the owner sells you a truck then goes and cleans it himself

Tech shortage of 642k according to this article and it’s only gonna get worse when the boomers really start leaving.

https://wrenchway.com/blog/technician-shortage-why-it-exists-what-needs-to-change/

8 hours ago, BOHICA said:

They are not collecting or on Medicare. Still employer provided health care, the best money can buy. Mine is the same . No deductible and I pay zero. I think these guys don’t want to be home