Check your account email address ×

Anyone scuba certified?

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Spent part of this last week camping near Sayner WI. Lakes have 30 feet of clarity and some are plenty deep. Scuba diving would've been awesome. It's on my bucker list. 

Diving is big here in the old cuyuna range mine pits. I've heard some say 50+ ft visibility. 

Certification, is optional when you're first lesson is cutting a lobster bouy off of the Hatteras prop shafts....

Having your own recharging compressor and all the gear makes it all easy.

Florida and the Caribbean were fun with clear water,  New England bites, as the water is dark and murky....

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, ICG said:

Certification, is optional when you're first lesson is cutting a lobster bouy off of the Hatteras prop shafts....

Having your own recharging compressor and all the gear makes it all easy.

Florida and the Caribbean were fun with clear water,  New England bites, as the water is dark and murky....

Plus it's colder up her

17 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Im a PADI Divemaster. Go get your open water cert, you will absolutely love it!!

My physical therapist gave me the card from one his clients that’s a diving instructor. I emailed him this morning. He gave me a link to a website for self study to expedite the process. Doesn’t look too bad for time or costs. 

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My physical therapist gave me the card from one his clients that’s a diving instructor. I emailed him this morning. He gave me a link to a website for self study to expedite the process. Doesn’t look too bad for time or costs. 

It's not really that complicated at all. Plus the benefits are well worth whatever effort you put into it. If you want your own gear it can get pricey but you can always rent gear at resort locations. 

One piece of advice, don't pay too much attention to the course material and school brochures. Look more closely at the instructor.  There is a saying in the dive community,  don't pick the license agency, pick the instructor.  

17 hours ago, Kivalo said:

It's not really that complicated at all. Plus the benefits are well worth whatever effort you put into it. If you want your own gear it can get pricey but you can always rent gear at resort locations. 

One piece of advice, don't pay too much attention to the course material and school brochures. Look more closely at the instructor.  There is a saying in the dive community,  don't pick the license agency, pick the instructor.  

As someone who has zero interest in ever diving again, but went through a number of "Resort Dives" where they teach you what you need to do and do it without being certified, I can tell you the bold is spot on.  I did about 5 resort dives with the CFH back in the early 2000's, and the best dive hands down was the one we did on Little Cayman off the Bloody Wall.  The instructor had my attention and I nailed that one, actually made it a full 45 minutes under the water.  The others I did were mostly failures in the 0-15 minute range.