Check your account email address ×

Do we have too much crop land?

13 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

When it all comes collapsing down, it is a very hard thing for many to deal with.  More so if it is your only form of income or you have employees.

How easy it is for someone to inherit mom and dad's life work or grandma and grandpa's life work and in a matter of minutes, it is gone and they have the payment for that lake place. 

Many times it is the same family to cause the collapse.  The son(s) want to keep the farm, but the daughters just want to be bought out of their share.  And when the son(s) can't cover it, they are forced to do something that they don't want to do, like sell or find alternatives ways to try and save the farm. 

19 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Like my family did, if someone comes along and offers you a substantial amount of money to sell them your farm. You take it.

Not sure where your family farm was, but if I was on the end of something like Maple Grove and was going to rake in $100k/acre or even $50k/acre, that does help to ease the pain.  If you wanted to keep farming, you'd have the capital to move somewhere else and start fresh.

Out where I'm at, I don't see us getting that kind of money for most of our ground.  Probably any of it, really.

10 hours ago, racer254 said:

Many times it is the same family to cause the collapse.  The son(s) want to keep the farm, but the daughters just want to be bought out of their share.  And when the son(s) can't cover it, they are forced to do something that they don't want to do, like sell or find alternatives ways to try and save the farm. 

I'd say more often then not, that just leaves a broken family and not a funeral.  

The farm across the road from us, the son stayed at home, took care of mom and day, ran the farm, etc.  One sister moved out east, one out west.  

Mom and dad die, the son has cancer and inherited 1/2 the farm. 

The sisters lawyered up and went to war. 

They outlasted the son, the bitch from out east keeled over and the wicked witch from the west ended up with everything, after being a complete cunt to her two siblings for a few years. 

Keep in mind, these people were in their 60's when this was going on.

She donated part of the farm and sold the rest at what I consider to be a loss.

A couple younger families eventually ended up with it and raise beef, sheep, and goats on it.  Great neighbors.

At least it isn't the cult next to one of our other farms.

• Like 1