Check your account email address ×

Coming everywhere soon: Electric cars losing their value twice as fast as petrol alternatives

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Boom!!!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-finally-disclosing-full-extent-162500217.html

An EV, though, will produce 55 tons less of CO2 emissions in its lifetime

While EV supply chains currently produce more emissions than the supply chains of gas-powered vehicles, the lifetime emissions of conventional cars are much higher, as they continues to burn gasoline for throughout their average lifespan of 17 years. An EV, though, will produce 55 tons less of CO2 emissions in its lifetime, according to Tesla’s calculations. And as more of the world’s manufacturing processes electrify, Tesla’s Scope 3 emissions will drop as well.

Will the battery last 17 years, since manufacturing of battery causes the highest emissions are they including emissions for a replacement, and how about what it's going to take dealing with the old battery.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

according to Tesla’s calculations.

Reminds me of when the FBI investigates themselves and find no wrong doing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

You figure out what EV’s use Nihm batteries yet or are you still trying to figure out what batteries are used in EV’s yet?

You sure been proven wrong a lot not only in this thread but numerous thread in the past 

BOHICA Have you ever thought about going into EV sales, I think you would knock it out of the park. It's easy to sell something you believe in.

The EV I drove last summer was kind of cool, and holy shit fast. 

All the same, I will be keeping my big truck.

Good luck with these guys. :lol:

Mar 26, 2023  How Much Does an EV Battery Cost to Replace? ... EV battery replacements range from $5,000 to $20,000 based on the pack, size and manufacturer. If

2 minutes ago, Badger** said:

BOHICA Have you ever thought about going into EV sales, I think you would knock it out of the park. It's easy to sell something you believe in.

If I lived in the city I'd have an EV as a second vehicle, not for saving the world but for drivability and convenience. Rural not so much especially with our harsh winters. With the range it just doesn't work, you don't have the regeneration from stop and go driving and when you consider planning on not going over 80% charge and trying to keep it above 20% to be easy on the battery, the winter range won't get me to the next town and back. But I may have talked my daughter in law into an EV, she only drives 3-5 miles to work (in Minneapolis) but the convince of turning on the heater without starting the car in the garage excited her. I was told the EV manufactures goal was, first the infrastructure for cross country driving, 450 mile range, and a 15 minute recharge. When it gets there I might give it another look.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toslow said:

Mar 26, 2023  How Much Does an EV Battery Cost to Replace? ... EV battery replacements range from $5,000 to $20,000 based on the pack, size and manufacturer. If

Jaguar's battery is considered a lifetime battery, It's designed for 1000 rapid recharges from 0-100% with a (if I remember right) 280 mile range, so if you abuse the battery it should last 280,000 miles, but if you take care of the battery they expect 10 times the life, so over 2,800,000 miles. The car will be shot before that. Reality is 40% of 280 miles is 168 mile range in the summer and 84 miles in the winter, it just doesn't work here.

• Gold Member
44 minutes ago, Badger** said:

Not enough money in it.

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, toslow said:

And motor 

Discussions was never about motors…. But yes motors do have Rare earths such as gas station pump motors, pipeline pump station,  pump jacks…. Any motors that use electricity have rare earths.

But EV batteries don’t.  Second post in this thread said they did and I was just correcting that with facts that, EV batteries don’t have rare earths.  Even Stevie acknowledge that….

Edited by BOHICA

21 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Discussions was never about motors…. But yes motors do have Rare earths such as gas station pump motors, pipeline pump station,  pump jacks…. Any motors that use electricity have rare earths.

But EV batteries don’t.  Second post in this thread said they did and I was just correcting that with facts that, EV batteries don’t have rare earths.  Even Stevie acknowledge that….

Show me the post i said that in, I said Tesla has rare earth metals in the cars 

Edited by toslow

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, toslow said:

Show me the post i said that in, I said Tesla has rare earth metals in the cars 

It’s on the first age…. First few post in your response to my post…..  circled in Red.

IMG_2809.jpeg

24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

It’s on the first age…. First few post in your response to my post…..  circled in Red.

IMG_2809.jpeg

Where did I say batteries 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, toslow said:

Where did I say batteries 

In your 100% reply to my post that was 100% about batteries….

So now you are acknowledging that the author of the article in the second post of this thread doesn’t know what he is talking about in rare earths as a component of EV batteries?

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 6/4/2023 at 5:26 PM, airflite1 said:

Jaguar's battery is considered a lifetime battery, It's designed for 1000 rapid recharges from 0-100% with a (if I remember right) 280 mile range, so if you abuse the battery it should last 280,000 miles, but if you take care of the battery they expect 10 times the life, so over 2,800,000 miles. The car will be shot before that. Reality is 40% of 280 miles is 168 mile range in the summer and 84 miles in the winter, it just doesn't work here.

Link?  Is there a lifetime warranty with it?  There is also this little thing where batteries popular for EV's last best when charge remains between 20%-80%.   So companies often advertise range based off full charge yet don't allow their batteries beyond that range.   Nice huh?

https://qz.com/1446315/jaguar-i-pace-is-coming-for-tesla-with-a-battery-that-doesnt-make-sense

Jaguar said that it buys its I-Pace batteries from suppliers, but wouldn’t offer details. (As confirmed by Quartz, the supplier is LG Chem, according to Wolfgang Ziebert, technical design director for the I-Pace, speaking to a correspondent for Automotive News.) The company wouldn’t say anything about the powertrain’s efficiency. And, crucially, it ducked the question of why the I-Pace’s range in European tests was so different than in EPA tests.

One possibility is that the I-Pace is programmed to not use all the battery’s capacity. Scientists have found that a lithium-ion battery lasts longer if operated between 20% and 80% state of charge. When asked if that’s what Jaguar is doing, the company said, “The I-Pace battery pack cannot be charged to 100% or run down to a real 0% state of charge because this is detrimental to the cell’s state-of-health.” But it wouldn’t give any more specifics about battery management. 

I've never had a phone that battery life didn't decline after a year or so.   Virtually all batteries lose ability to hold charge after time.

Edited by Highmark