Check your account email address ×

Lose 15 lbs and dont put tools in your pants pockets

• Platinum Contributing Member

So my left thigh has been bugging me for a few yrs. Pins and needles when I stand in one place for a while. No problem working as I walk quite a bit when working , but blows when cooking 

After a few yrs it was realy bugging me , so at physical this winter I told my doc to do something

He sceduled an MRI , $625 from me and a couple grand from my ins co.

Then to a neuralogist to look at MRI  $50 from me and $550 from ins. 

Then referred to physical theropy for 6 weeks , $100 a week from me and $200 from my ins co

Then back to neuologist , another  $50 and $550

He wants to send me to a pain center so they can pinpoint the nerve in my back that is causing it , then after they isolate it , Back surgery in december with a 4-6 weel recovery time.

So Im working on a customers system last week and I knew he was a DR so I mentioned it . Turns out he actualy was a profesor who taught medical school and is now in private practice .

The minute I told him what was bothering me he said " it is a pinched nerve in your groin , do not let them do back surgery.

So I asked him what the fix is 

he said " lose 15 lbs and dont put tools in your pockets " 

Son of a bitch. Wish I mentioned it to him a few yrs ago

• Like 4

Trying not to laugh, but the last part of this is pretty good stuff!!  And I hope the dude is right & that you feel better soon!  I went through the MRI and doctor debacle back, plus a few months worth of PT, in 2021 for a neck/arm issue.  Ultimately they put me on Gabapentin for the pain relief because it was so bad I couldn't sleep at night.  I still have some pins/numbness in my index finger but my arm and neck feel a lot better now (and off Gabapentin).  I could still lose 15 pounds though!! LOL

Good luck and I hope you avoid the surgery ... back surgery isn't something to be taken lightly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

So my left thigh has been bugging me for a few yrs. Pins and needles when I stand in one place for a while. No problem working as I walk quite a bit when working , but blows when cooking 

After a few yrs it was realy bugging me , so at physical this winter I told my doc to do something

Then referred to physical theropy for 6 weeks , $100 a week from me and $200 from my ins co

He wants to send me to a pain center so they can pinpoint the nerve in my back that is causing it , then after they isolate it , Back surgery in december with a 4-6 weel recovery time.

So Im working on a customers system last week and I knew he was a DR so I mentioned it . Turns out he actualy was a profesor who taught medical school and is now in private practice .

The minute I told him what was bothering me he said " it is a pinched nerve in your groin , do not let them do back surgery.

I was told to get suspenders for my tool belt and not pull it too tight 

Yeah, fuck getting back surgery.  Working on not working hard. Easier said than done when it’s all you have ever known.  Instead of getting pissed about the new work ethic it is time to get on board.  People who work hard every day are the fools.  Coming to realize that now. 

13 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Google - Every pound you are over weight is equal to how many pounds on your knees, back, hips, ankles etc.  "They" say every pound you are over weight is equal to roughly 4 pounds of weight and pressure on your joints, so 15 #'s is equal to 60 #'s of weight & pressure on your joints.

He suggested to you to lose 15 pounds, get 2 back packs, put 30 pounds in each backpack, put one on your back and one on your chest and walk around for 1/2 hour, now take the backpacks off and see if you can feel the difference with the extra weight gone, or even just put 15 #'s in a backpack and walk around for and hour and then take the backpack off.

4 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Lost 25 pounds snowmobiling this year, and my back hasn't acted up in almost a year now.  I'm sure I've put 5+ of that back on...

I'd say you accomplished something many typically don't!! LOL  At least within the groups of people I ride with (most of whom are getting close to, or already, retired).  Eating out, drinking at night, and not necessarily working out while on our trips, doesn't bode well for weight loss programs, unfortunately.  Maybe I need to start tagging along with you when you're in our area again next season!! LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'd say you accomplished something many typically don't!! LOL  At least within the groups of people I ride with (most of whom are getting close to, or already, retired).  Eating out, drinking at night, and not necessarily working out while on our trips, doesn't bode well for weight loss programs, unfortunately.  Maybe I need to start tagging along with you when you're in our area again next season!! LOL

I really didn't do anything more than you listed... I guess I push myself at times.  Plus I am kinda the opposite as most people.  The heat of the summers drive me nuts.... anything over 75 degrees and I'm done.

Edited by Mag6240

Was at a Sled club gathering years ago back when I worked on peoples sleds and this wealthy older gent calls me out

"Hey Mr Polaris I keep tipping my RX-1 over on the brake side what do I gotta do to fix it?"

I asked him " Which pocket you carry your wallet in?"

He replied "Back left" with a confused look

"Try back right" I replied and we all had a good laugh

6 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Lost 25 pounds snowmobiling this year, and my back hasn't acted up in almost a year now.  I'm sure I've put 5+ of that back on...

I lose weight in the winter as well.  Between snowboarding, skiing, and snowmobiling it is my trimming time of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

I lose weight in the winter as well.  Between snowboarding, skiing, and snowmobiling it is my trimming time of the year.

I’ve given up skiing and I couldn’t stand still on a board on a slope.  My kid I used to have on the other hand… Welch from the garage.

9C2BC2AB-66AC-40E9-BB95-EE8478AD811D.jpeg

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1