Check your account email address ×

How GM got 5,000 workers to leave their jobs within a month without a single layoff

This is the way bloated Fortune 500's have been reducing white collar work force forever but I guess to some it's new.  In this case less than 10% of GM's bloated staff took the offer.  1 month pay for every year plus cobra is pretty standard fare and nothing earth shattering.  So you've worked there 20 years and you get 20 months pay with health insurance.  BFD for 20 years of your life.  

What mostly happens is that anyone that was planning to leave anyway saw it as a nice going away bonus or an opportunity to earn double while at their new job.  Anyone not already planning to leave that could easily land another job would now take it.  It's just another way to get rid of good talent.  

l had good friends that I worked with for years that went out and landed as good or better replacement jobs and then after the waiting period came back for better pay and better positions a year or two later.  Same thing will happen at GM.  The only way to get rid of the shit is to lay their assess off.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdsky said:

This is the way bloated Fortune 500's have been reducing white collar work force forever but I guess to some it's new.  In this case less than 10% of GM's bloated staff took the offer.  1 month pay for every year plus cobra is pretty standard fare and nothing earth shattering.  So you've worked there 20 years and you get 20 months pay with health insurance.  BFD for 20 years of your life.  

What mostly happens is that anyone that was planning to leave anyway saw it as a nice going away bonus or an opportunity to earn double while at their new job.  Anyone not already planning to leave that could easily land another job would now take it.  It's just another way to get rid of good talent.  

l had good friends that I worked with for years that went out and landed as good or better replacement jobs and then after the waiting period came back for better pay and better positions a year or two later.  Same thing will happen at GM.  The only way to get rid of the shit is to lay their assess off.  

Yup - did this back in 2005 - turned out to be the best decision I ever made, career wise anywho...

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Yup - did this back in 2005 - turned out to be the best decision I ever made, career wise anywho...

Retired a year 1-1/2 ago.  Original plan was to retire 1-1/2 years before that but got offers I couldn't resist to stay on to finish projects that were in the works.  Yesterday received the 4th call since I retired asking if I wanted to come back as a contractor on a project that have coming up.  Thanks but no Thanks  I like my self-selected work schedule just fine. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jdsky said:

12 months pay was the max draw.