Check your account email address ×

Vermont ice fishing tournament canceled after 3 fishermen die falling through the ice

• Platinum Contributing Member

An annual ice fishing tournament on Vermont’s Lake Champlain was called off at the last minute over the weekend after three men died when they fell through the ice during "abnormally warm" weather, officials said.

Organizers of the 43rd annual Islands Ice Fishing Derby announced in a Facebook post Saturday morning that the weekend event was being canceled due to "the condition of the ice."

The event was shut down after the Grand Isle County Sheriff's Department issued a request for it to be canceled "effective immediately," they said, as they asked anglers already out on the ice to clear the area.

"Tickets will be refunded," they said.

• Sad 2

Lake Huron has no ice on it and likely wont freeze at all this year. Not sure I'd trust most lakes this year.

Sure to be another in a recent list of record breakers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I stayed off Island Pond when I was up there 2 weeks ago...I dont trust any ice this year. 

Island Pond and Spectacle Pondl both have plenty of ice according to my neighbor. He has been on them ice fishing. I'm not sure for how much longer with the above normal temps in the forecast.

• Gold Member
Just now, ckf said:

Island Pond and Spectacle Pondl both have plenty of ice according to my neighbor. He has been on them ice fishing. I'm not sure for how much longer with the above normal temps in the forecast.

Yeah a couple buds rode across no prob they said. Me personally I might have but with the Wife following id rather go around and be safe.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I stayed off Island Pond when I was up there 2 weeks ago...I dont trust any ice this year. 

44 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I blew across it 2 weeks ago

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Yeah a couple buds rode across no prob they said. Me personally I might have but with the Wife following id rather go around and be safe.  

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I blew across it 2 weeks ago

Keep your speed up and you'll have no problem getting across ice free ponds.....no biggie:bc:

Just now, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Keep your speed up and you'll have no problem getting across ice free ponds.....no biggie:bc:

yep, 25 yrs ago I spent a saturday afternoon blowing across open water. Changed my whole perspective.

Problem most people have is it is natural instinct to hit the brakes when they see it. Worse thing ya can do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

yep, 25 yrs ago I spent a saturday afternoon blowing across open water. Changed my whole perspective.

Problem most people have is it is natural instinct to hit the brakes when they see it. Worse thing ya can do.

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Ive water skipped before ...

Like I said wasn't me I was worried about.  Wifey has only been riding about 5 times. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Like I said wasn't me I was worried about.  Wifey has only been riding about 5 times. 

I wouldn't do it with my wife behind me either

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I wouldn't do it with my wife behind me either

Yeah...I hear ya. I wouldn't skip with half the friends I ride with, they would follow me like sheep and then panic and hit the brakes on open water... I've purposely skipped some pretty long spans when I was a bit younger but usually avoid that now in my old boomer age.:lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I did the same back with my 2001 MXZ 800. It had big wide C&A Pro skis that had great flotation and steering. It was a blast!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

hs59vxy2mn561.jpg

Pfffft. I had my AT-AT out on the pond recently and there  was only 48”.  I know cause I checked with my lightsaber 

• Haha 1