Check your account email address ×

Market Watchers

Crnr2Crnr

11 hours ago, Highmark said:

I'm simply saying that Apple has the largest market cap of any company in the world....those don't happen every day as your claim. 

true 

AAPL is only down 16.6% YTD wheras SPY is down 21.5%, DIA 17.7% and QQQ a whooping 30.3%

ironic that AAPL is a big component of all of them, take AAPL out of the mix and the losses would likely be far worse.  of course the markets were way out of reality with valuations but that's a separate topic.

there's no safe plays right now other than averaging down on blue chips and/or buying dips until the bottom comes along. 

lot of 401k's getting murdered and most of the situation was avoidable. 

wtg federal reserve! 👏

On 9/16/2022 at 3:07 PM, DriftBusta said:

I can’t disagree with any of that. It’s times like these that I want to strangle my ex-wife who took me to the cleaners 20 years ago, right about the same time I bought a company that turned out to be a shitty investment Between both of those events I lost well over 1 million bucks. Thankfully I am in a job now that is allowing me to park a boat load and invest it using some of the best guidance available. Time in the market has proven to be a winning formula for over 100 years, and dollar cost averaging is a great way to hedge your bets like you are doing.  

Thats what I do. Auto pilot every month

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Anler said:

Thats what I do. Auto pilot every month

I ran a spread sheet a few years ago and found consistently the best price per month on most index funds to be on the 15th or 16th.  No rhyme or reason.  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

I ran a spread sheet a few years ago and found consistency the best price per month on most index funds to be on the 15th or 16th of the month.  No rhyme or reason.  

I've been doing it for years I couldnt even tell you what day they do the draw. 

I have to admit part of the reason I started that is so the money doesnt lay around the bank account where the wife can start getting ideas where to spend it. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Anler said:

I've been doing it for years I couldnt even tell you what day they do the draw. 

I have to admit part of the reason I started that is so the money doesnt lay around the bank account where the wife can start getting ideas where to spend it. 

I have 1 year cds at 4.05% right now, best they’ve been in years, if people want safe safe guaranteed.

38 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I have 1 year cds at 4.05% right now, best they’ve been in years, if people want safe safe guaranteed.

One of my daughter's $10k 12mo college CD's is done maturing in November and we'll be getting another immediately after.

Current rate as of the moment at our CU is 1.75% for 12mo with a minimum of $1k.  Makes me sick how low the rates of interest have been as I made out well with deposit investments in my youth.

I see they have (oddly) a 27mo at 3.10% which is listed higher than a 60mo at 2.5% 

https://www.covantagecu.org/Plan/Services/Rates/Account-Rates 

Was your rate just updated today?  I'm seeing a fidelity brokered and Vanguard brokered cd at 3.7 12mo $1k min, but nothing above 4%. Edit again... 4.0@4-9mo, 4.05@10-12mo, 4.1@13-18mo...

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

One of my daughter's $10k 12mo college CD's is done maturing in November and we'll be getting another immediately after.

Current rate as of the moment at our CU is 1.75% for 12mo with a minimum of $1k.  Makes me sick how low the rates of interest have been as I made out well with deposit investments in my youth.

I see they have (oddly) a 27mo at 3.10% which is listed higher than a 60mo at 2.5% 

https://www.covantagecu.org/Plan/Services/Rates/Account-Rates 

Was your rate just updated today?  I'm seeing a fidelity brokered and Vanguard brokered cd at 3.7 12mo $1k min, but nothing above 4%. Edit again... 4.0@4-9mo, 4.05@10-12mo, 4.1@13-18mo...

Check out your local EJ office, not all of them want to sell the CDs cuz there's really no $ in them, unless you tie the $ up for more than 2-3 years.  We buy inventory all over the country, and right now thats what I found.  Should see them creep up a bit after yesterday.  They only get 20-30 basis points better out to 5 years, so why tie it up for more than 1 is my thought.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Hard bounce yesterday may continue today, but I don't believe the pain train is done yet.  Fed will raise again.

I'm hoping they don't , at least in the short term.  Some leading indicators are whats going on in the housing market.  There's been lack of inventory for over a year, and now rates are rising past 6%, when they were less than 3 a year ago.  Also a significant rise in deals being canceled.  Coming into the heating months, energy costs are also going to put a hurting on the average family budget.  I don't know how long people are going to continue to be able to afford these 90,000 dollar F150s at rates north of 6-7% either.  And while our analysts don't think this recession will be nearly as long or deep as 08-09, I keep getting told that the fed is trying to avoid the mistakes they made by raising rates too hard and too fast.  We've had 3-75 basis point increases in recent months, thats pretty hard and fast.  Those are mostly just my gut feelings, I haven't even checked the latest guidance.  Many of my clients are pretty rattled at whats happened to their investment accounts, so a little relief on that front by not continuing to raise rates, would be welcome. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm hoping they don't , at least in the short term.  Some leading indicators are whats going on in the housing market.  There's been lack of inventory for over a year, and now rates are rising past 6%, when they were less than 3 a year ago.  Also a significant rise in deals being canceled.  Coming into the heating months, energy costs are also going to put a hurting on the average family budget.  I don't know how long people are going to continue to be able to afford these 90,000 dollar F150s at rates north of 6-7% either.  And while our analysts don't think this recession will be nearly as long or deep as 08-09, I keep getting told that the fed is trying to avoid the mistakes they made by raising rates too hard and too fast.  We've had 3-75 basis point increases in recent months, thats pretty hard and fast.  Those are mostly just my gut feelings, I haven't even checked the latest guidance.  Many of my clients are pretty rattled at whats happened to their investment accounts, so a little relief on that front by not continuing to raise rates, would be welcome. 

How’s it feel to have been 100% fucking wrong on every matter of importance for nearly 20 years? You’re basically right wing MC 

Just now, f7ben said:

How’s it feel to have been 100% fucking wrong on every matter of importance for nearly 20 years? You’re basically right wing MC 

You're a failure in life.  Don't take it out on me with your delusional characterizations of me.  :news: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You're a failure in life.  Don't take it out on me with your delusional characterizations of me.  :news: 

You’ve been wrong on everything , try and open your eyes and use whatever brain you have. Don’t lash out , just try and be better.

Just now, f7ben said:

You’ve been wrong on everything , try and open your eyes and use whatever brain you have. Don’t lash out , just try and be better.

Lash out like you do all day every day?  We were having a simple discussion about the state of the markets, and you jump in with that kind of horse shit directed at me?  If I wanted advice from you, I'd ask you.  Fortunately I've made it through my life pretty ok without it.  Now go jump off a highway overpass and do humanity a favor ffs.  :lol: 

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Lash out like you do all day every day?  We were having a simple discussion about the state of the markets, and you jump in with that kind of horse shit directed at me?  If I wanted advice from you, I'd ask you.  Fortunately I've made it through my life pretty ok without it.  Now go jump off a highway overpass and do humanity a favor ffs.  :lol: 

Let’s see .....

You were dead wrong on

Wars , war on terror , illegal spying , election fraud , economic policy and monetary policy etc 

Basically every idiotic prognostication you’ve glommed on to has been proven to be 100% bullshit

Youre an idiot and out of chances , kill yourself 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Just a few months ago 

NONE OF OUR ANALYSTS ARE SEEING A RECESSION NEAR TERM DERRR SERRRRDERRRRRRJFNFNFNFN

Fucking moron :lol: 

Yes.....analysts never change their guidance as new information comes to light.  So fucking dumb.  That was consensus a year ago, now its not.  BFD.

What are all your greaseball buddies in the lunch room saying?  I don't even know where to begin to unpack that statement, and I have little interest in doing so, so I'll just leave you in your puddle of spittle to stew on it.  :lol: 

sai

Just now, DriftBusta said:

Yes.....analysts never change their guidance as new information comes to light.  So fucking dumb.  That was consensus a year ago, now its not.  BFD.

What are all your greaseball buddies in the lunch room saying?  I don't even know where to begin to unpack that statement, and I have little interest in doing so, so I'll just leave you in your puddle of spittle to stew on it.  :lol: 

You’re a fucking know nothing moron listening to sycophant trash tell you what you need to tell your clients so they keep their money in your firm. It’s fucking gross .....greaseball is right. You’re a used car salesman that doesn’t even understand how the car works. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Let’s see .....

You were dead wrong on

Wars , war on terror , illegal spying , election fraud , economic policy and monetary policy etc 

Basically every idiotic prognostication you’ve glommed on to has been proven to be 100% bullshit

Youre an idiot and out of chances , kill yourself 

OK you loud mouthed greaseball.  Thats enough out of you.  Go sink some one elses snowmobile, or roll over another Corvette you've owned for about 3 days.   Bye now.

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

OK you loud mouthed greaseball.  Thats enough out of you.  Go sink some one elses snowmobile, or roll over another Corvette you've owned for about 3 days.   Bye now.

I’ll have been retired for 10 years by the time Im your age , and probably still married to the same woman. Sbyl greaseball faggot.